Author Topic: New to ice fishing the area...  (Read 1107 times)

Offline IcyAlLinder28

• IceShanty Rookie
New to ice fishing the area...
« on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm new to the area, relocated here from Nebraska earlier this last summer.   Anyhow, I'm I've been itching to get out on the ice and was wondering if anyhow had pointers for ice fishing the area?  I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I was thinking of heading to Shabbona Lake tomorrow.  From what I've read it's sounds like an interesting spot to try.  If there's anything I should be aware of or pointers you could give would be greatly appreciated! 

Ps: it seems like there's good crappie fishing around here, but how about perch? 

Thank you and good luck!

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to ice fishing the area...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:58 AM »
Perch are hard to come by in Illinois in my opinion. If you find a spot keep it to yourself that is for sure. I would try maybe the Fox Chain or even Montrose Harbor for perch, but generally the bigger ones come in the fall. Shabbona gets hit pretty hard, and has a ton of structure. Make sure to stop by the bait shop and they will give you a map with all the marked structure. Right now, I would start with the deep trees around the southeast side of the lake. There is also a road bed, rock piles, and a ton of cribs to fish, especially by the campground on the north side. You will see all of the holes. Like I said, stop by the bait shop or give them a call and they will help ya out, I think they open around 8 am (late for a bait shop). Good luck

Offline IcyAlLinder28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Thank you ElectricSlide19, that's very helpful!  Best of luck to you!

Offline wsj_outdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wandering the Ice somewhere
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Perch can be quite fun should you fish the chicago harbors, burnham is my favorite but it's not for the faint of heart as they break the ice.  Still fishable though. 
If a man can't laugh at himself....he leaves the job to others

Offline joechicago

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ...if it's frozen drill it.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Ice fishing in the middle of town? The metros must think thats a sight.
God does not count in man's allotted span, the days spent fishing.

Offline Jtemp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2017, 09:34 AM »
when you find the perch let me know! been wanting to try the harbors downtown. a lot of perch moving at Mallard but have been small.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.