Author Topic: Have you ever ice fished River Bend Forest Preserve?  (Read 922 times)

Offline teamflannel

• IceShanty Rookie
Have you ever ice fished River Bend Forest Preserve?
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Curious if anyone has ice fished Sunset or Shadow lakes @ River Bend Preserve? Sunset is very deep for Central Illinois, which kind of makes me think it might be a little sketchy.
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Offline fatfenders

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Have you ever ice fished River Bend Forest Preserve?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2016, 10:38 AM »
I've tried it several times over the past couple years. I fish Sunset a lot in warm weather. Two years ago the gravel pit was a lot more active and the prevailing south winds blew a lot of sand onto the ice. I didn't try most of the lake that year because I didn't want to wreck my auger blades. It was much better last year but finding fish was hard. In three trips I've caught one bass there. It takes forever to freeze over because it's so deep. Might be good now with all this cold weather.

Shadow is a hike but I caught fish there. I focused on the southern part of the lake that doesn't have the steep banks. Some good crappie, bluegill and bass in there. My nephew knows somebody who lives in the subdivision to the south so I have a lot shorter walk than you would.

I also caught fish in the cove that you can walk down to near the first parking lot as you enter the park. I think it's technically off limits but never had anybody say anything to me.

Offline teamflannel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Have you ever ice fished River Bend Forest Preserve?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2017, 02:48 PM »
Thanks for the info fatfenders! Never made it out this winter with my work schedule, but maybe next winter. I Kayak fish Sunset because no motors are allowed and with the clear water it's just a unique place. I'm in a green/yellow/black 10' Kayak, give me a holler if you see me fishing.
Live to fish, Fish to live.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.