Author Topic: Beaver lake in Derry?  (Read 8917 times)

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
Beaver lake in Derry?
« on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with Beaver lake in the winter?

I did not fish it at all during the summer because of unfavorable reports from there. I would like to try it this winter though if anyone has anything positive to say about it  ;)
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Beaver lake in Derry?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:30 AM »
What are you after?
F&G use to stock with rainbow, I'm not sure if they still do.
Usually in the 12-14" range.
Action isn't very hot.
If you just want to catch/release fish for fun, the place to hit when frozen is the small man made pond between CrackerBarrel and BurgerKing.
Filthy water.. But man, do the Picks get big in that pond.  Use braided line! 

Newfound

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:35 AM »
easy on - crowded, social, busy, pets ~ etc on nice weather afternoons. Probably open water at the moment.
Bad timing perhaps to share too much info immediately after a big "dont burn spots" string.

Right?

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:37 AM »
easy on - crowded, social, busy, pets ~
Bad timing perhaps to share too much info immediately after a big "dont burn spots" string.

Right?
If it's already "crowded, social, busy, pets," than it probably isn't a burn. ;)

Capt. Black

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:43 AM »
If it's already "crowded, social, busy, pets," than it probably isn't a burn. ;)

Capt. Black

Very True.  And my answer for water to burn, the fish are worm infested.  But a fun place to hit before/after work for a fix once in a while if live n the area.
And please catch n release..  Leave the non edible fish in there for others to catch..

Thx.

NB

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:59 AM »
What are you after?
F&G use to stock with rainbow, I'm not sure if they still do.
Usually in the 12-14" range.
Action isn't very hot.
If you just want to catch/release fish for fun, the place to hit when frozen is the small man made pond between CrackerBarrel and BurgerKing.
Filthy water.. But man, do the Picks get big in that pond.  Use braided line! 

Newfound

How do you get on between Cracker barrel and Burger King, I thought they had that entire place fenced off?

Jack

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 12:30 PM »
I can't believe that little man made pond has fish in it. I would get a chuckle if I went by it and saw 6 traps in there. Not very peaceful either being right on the highway but to each his own.

Never heard a postive report from Beaver (soft or hard water). Its a little too "urbanized" for me. I believe a guy went through the ice there last year and died (but not sure) and recall that it was due to a spring fed hole causing a dangerous spot but don't recall specifics.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Beaver lake is one of my favorite lakes in NH.
Have fun, fishing has always been good for me there, even has white perch!
Mostly warm water fish but I've seen some rainbows come out of it, and it's always a busy social place.
I live too far away to play there anymore but I miss that lake.
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline Adrock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I fished it for a couple winters and haven't been back in several years.  It seemed to be hot or cold, lot's of pickeral one day and many days with out a thing.  Never caught a trout out of it in the winter.  It wouldn't be high on the reccomendation list.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:57 PM »
i have caught some decent largies in the winter and open water months
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Thanks a lot guys for all the good info!
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Beaver gets about 4,000 Trout per year, for it size that s a great number, the locals hit it hard during the summer, during hardwater its mighty busy there with local family's. I do better during the summer there than the winter, good hardwater area is around the public beach area right of the boat ramp.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:55 PM »
I drove by Beaver today mostly open water with a thin ice coat by the colvert. I have had zero luck for trout in there through the ice yet. I have hade great number days in summer for smaller bass and perch

Offline Ice Trapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag Up! He's Stripping line"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:07 PM »
Do i see pipes whats up buddy

<{{{>(~Raef Heller~)<}}}>

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2010, 04:59 PM »

Capt. Black
Beaver Lake is WELL DONE, crispy fried like forgotten bacon in the skillet! Too much traffic, not enough fish. I mean seriously , in Softwater they only allow you to drive your boat in one direction, clockwise, because of all the traffic. Was once THE most polluted pond(it ain`t no lake) in NH, because the 3-4 deep cottages that surround it were flushing thier toilets in it. The town septic didn`t go in till the early 70s (know one of the operators) . Much cleaner now, just littered with homosapiens wall to wall! That being said, fish away , I`ll be at Lake X with hardly a soul in sight.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:03 PM »
That being said, fish away , I`ll be at Lake X with hardly a soul in sight.
I'm with you Das.

Capt. Black

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Das,  homosapians.... ;D  too funny, probobly a couple of lingering cro-magnons too..
>))))))>

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:39 AM »
ha, ha, ha, - poor little beaver..

worm infested, fried, polluted, dog covered, 'left turn only' body of water...

Its sort of like the only lake (pond) we discuss - and we discuss it in the least favorable terms.

Long Live Da' Beave...

I want to see if I can post a pic of the Beave-- Dirty little thing..

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:31 PM »
No doubt Beaver Lake has seen better days.....

Many years ago I lived very close tot he lake and the marsh that it feeds as well. The marsh is now a swamp overrun and choked out by invasive weeds etc.

I grew up near by and remember fishing it as far back as the late 70's - the state has always stocked trout in it for the kids. Their use to be another semi private beach near the other end of the lake with pinball games arcade and it was a fun hangout. We even swam in it back then too - much cleaner now.

However at this point there are many other places I would fish before considering wasting my time on that dirty beaver...Really too bad it got to this cause it's a nice size lake and could hold some decent trout and bass if it got cleaned up a bit.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I want to see if I can post a pic of the Beave-- Dirty little thing..
Oh, no, not her again. >:D >:D

Capt. Black

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Sounds like beaver lake needs a good douching? Reclaim it if it's that bad? But are there that many trout in it?

JIGGIN.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:56 PM »
Pond is much cleaner than it was in the late 60s early 70s then town septic came along. It`s problem is the access is awesome -newer ramp /park lot and it is not enough off the beaten path=too much traffic, combine that with it small size and you get what you get. Just not my cup of tequila.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Hey Jiggin

I have only got 2 in the past couple of years. Problem is the truck chasers, once they stock everybody and the mother shows up, take their 6, put them in the car or bring them home then come back and take another 6. Actually witness 3 kids get bagged by F&G, their buddy left without taking his fish and they had 19, 1 over and got popped for over $100 fine or higher don't remember. It was funny to watch who license they were going to use. I fish Beaver with my kids to get them interested and to build their patience for the big lakes later. Right now they are 4,4 and 6 so will take a little time. It is less than a mile from my house which is great, if they get wet, bathroom or just done, call the wife and she will pick them up and I can stay out.

look forward to seeing you on Newfound to join in on the Circus fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.