Iowa > Ice Fishing Iowa

Targeting walleyes

(1/5) > >>

crappieslayer56:
This year I plan to expand my ice fishing horizons target walleyes at least once in Iowa. Does anyone have any tips as for baits or what to look for as far as structure? I’ve caught many during open water (especially in SD and MN hahaha). But I’ve never targeted them in the winter. Where I live in southwest Iowa I don’t have much of an opportunity for walleyes that is close so I target bluegills and crappies. I plan to make a day trip or two to storm lake or spirit lake, so if anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated!

Ice_Fly_Guy:
Seemed like at Storm lake last year, aggressive, ripping tactics worked pretty well.  Some on live minnows, just letting them struggle and swim.

Best tip I have is to be aggressive with a spoon or blade bait type, and also having a deadstick rod near by.  I think most people are too subtle most of the time to attract nearby fish.

Agronomist_at_IA:

--- Quote from: blakemohr on Nov 01, 2018, 07:20 PM ---Seemed like at Storm lake last year, aggressive, ripping tactics worked pretty well.  Some on live minnows, just letting them struggle and swim.

Best tip I have is to be aggressive with a spoon or blade bait type, and also having a deadstick rod near by.  I think most people are too subtle most of the time to attract nearby fish.

--- End quote ---

Yep....Aggressively calling them in then they hit the bobber/dead stick happens more then just hitting the jigged lure.

fishinjohn:

--- Quote from: crappieslayer56 on Nov 01, 2018, 04:46 PM ---This year I plan to expand my ice fishing horizons target walleyes at least once in Iowa. Does anyone have any tips as for baits or what to look for as far as structure? I’ve caught many during open water (especially in SD and MN hahaha). But I’ve never targeted them in the winter. Where I live in southwest Iowa I don’t have much of an opportunity for walleyes that is close so I target bluegills and crappies. I plan to make a day trip or two to storm lake or spirit lake, so if anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated!

--- End quote ---
Every lake is different believe it or not... here in NY i fish several lakes specifically for walleye..
Onieda... jigging small jigging raps or jigging spoons tipped with minnow works great.. one good pop.. then shuttle movements.. repeat.. they take it on the lift.. or theyll flash in and smoke it...
Kinzua resevoir...  I've fished there for 30 years... only caught a handful jigging... there I use tip ups with live minnows..
Chatauqua lake... tip ups work however the go to is a LARGE jigging trap not tipped with anything... same action as onieda but with large jigging raps but no good on spoons...
Lake erie.. no tip ups...jigging spoons or raps(smaller raps work better for me) tipped with 3 or 4 minnows... once they show up on the graph I just slowly work them upwards.. if they want it they eat it and usually only have to work fish up less than 5 ft in column before they strike
Best thing to do is ask guys that fish a specific lake and see what their responses are..
For structure.. get yourself a good map and look for steep drop off or some points that's stick out by a drastic contour change.. sometimes the most subtle change will hold fish.. here a couple examples of things I look for before heading out

Hope this is helpful

crappieslayer56:
Thanks for the replies! It is much appreciated!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version