The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody hit Canyon Ferry this weekend????  (Read 1479 times)

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody hit Canyon Ferry this weekend????
« on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:37 PM »
Hey just wondering how the ice was out there this weekend. I think that we will go out next weekend for at least one day.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: Anybody hit Canyon Ferry this weekend????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:43 PM »
Hey just wondering how the ice was out there this weekend. I think that we will go out next weekend for at least one day.

The south end is fine for 4 wheelers, saw a couple trucks out too, but just last week a couple 4-wheelers broke through, and with this warm weather I personally would only feel safe walking. 

Off the Silos its about 11.75 inches according to my new hole cleaner. ;D.  Seems a pretty consistent thickness over there too.  Duck Creek side is a few inches less. at around 8 inches.

The bite has been off and on too.  one day good, next pretty darn slow.  So, good luck and hope ya get there on a good day.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:15 PM »

Fished Canyon Ferry Sun. 1/13 from 730 to noon.

Went on the ice from north Silos boat ramp and rode four wheelers about 3 mi. north.

Ice about ten inches thick.   Large pressure ridge runs from Duck Creek point accross lake to slightly north of Hole in the Wall.

We fished about 1/2 mi. south of pressure ridge in 40 FOW.  Pretty slow, caught 17 keepers, all 10 in to 12 in.

Couple people right on pressure ridge not catching much.  Saw a few fish on the ice on 'wheeler ride back to truck.  Some trout and some perch.   Heard rumor of a few walleyes being caught near shore as well.  Not first-hand account however, so take if for what it's worth.

On Sat. someone caught an 11 lbs. northern near the hole in the wall on perch rod.  THAT must have been interesting.

Lots of people out yesterday, very nice with little to no wind and sunny.

Hope this helps and good luck.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:20 PM »
Now you're making stuff up.. a northern in Canyon Ferry? I heard the rumors, but just left them at that. I am probably going out on sunday, has anyone heard of any ling being caught straight out from the boat ramp, that was usually a good spot in teh past.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:26 PM »

I personally didn't see the fish, but the guy who told me about it did.

It's a fact that there's pike in there, the FWP nets a few every year in the spring during the walleye spawning season.

A good friend of mine caught one last summer near the Goose Bay weed beds.

I've personally have never caught or seen one out of there but if you follow the Walleyes Forever gallery in the spring the usually post a pic or two of the northerns they net.   Pretty sure they don't go back in the lake, that's for sure!

Obviously they are not real abundant and that's not what I was implying.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Yep.  There are definitely pike in there.  Just not many yet.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline lschrag13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2008, 05:19 PM »
Check out the Gazette's outdoors blog - there's a pic of a 32" pike from canyon ferry.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/h/blogs/outdoors/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.