The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Deadman’s snagging  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Cgasner1

• IceShanty Rookie
Deadman’s snagging
« on: Nov 21, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Soon as the weather changes I want to try snagging some salmon what exactly are you guys tieing up to get them on the ice

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Deadman’s snagging
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 06:23 PM »
This topic has been beaten more times than a dead horse. Check the archives, there’s a plethora of advice in the older threads.

Offline bigkm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 07:17 PM »
Ice hut is a must have to see into your hole 2in or 3 in orange silver spoon just buy bigger treble hooks for them and jig it around the fish will come check it out then just snag them

oldschoolben

« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:10 AM »
I dont know why people reply with ( this topic has been discussed before , and tell someone to go back and read ood threads, why not just answer the question instead of being a ass

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I dont know why people reply with ( this topic has been discussed before , and tell someone to go back and read ood threads, why not just answer the question instead of being a ass
Because they are far more intelligent than us and hold a self elected forum police position....duh.Seriou sly either dont bother posting or use the same amount of effort needed to post your comment with the answer if you are so full of info.
Dont ask

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:26 AM »
This topic has been beaten more times than a dead horse. Check the archives, there’s a plethora of advice in the older threads.
what an ass! Look, the guy just joined the group last month. ease up. take a chill pill. responses like this is what Makes a person wonder why the hell he joined the group and will do one of 3 things - he will say F-U and leave the group, stop posting even if he as some good info to offer or if is thick skinned, will ignore you and say - there's one in every group
you're both from Billings. Probably even know each other

Mizayikaa

« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:42 AM »
It maybe could have been put a little more delicately but I think he was just trying to use the "give a man a fish / teach a man to fish" strategy.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 08:44 AM »
seems like some folks just need to go fishing and relax
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:36 AM »
seems like some folks just need to go fishing and relax

^ this.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Chalk it up to the holiday season!!!!  >:(  Seems to me that people are getting testier and testier earlier and earlier every year. I was traveling around the state last weekend and it seemed like pretty much everywhere we stopped, people were flat out cranky. 

Offline Cgasner1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:42 AM »
Every time I enter snagging deadman’s or something along those lines I can’t find any information on what is actually being used to snag them was kinda hoping someone would throw a picture of something up but I’ll just wait and head to peck then

Offline Cgasner1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Well Nelson this weekend then peck after Christmas thought it would of been nice to try that

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2018, 11:52 AM »
Sorry if I came across like a jerk, it was unintentional. It usually takes some bitter cold weather to cap the lake over with the way the wind blows there. I like to use a snagging rig like one would use for paddle fishing just with smaller gear. You can tie yarn or add beads to your setup to add some color to your rig. I personally just put some spawn netting on the hook and it seems to work just fine. You want to be in 2-3 fow, right off the boat ramp is a great spot, early in the morning or towards the evening. As someone above mentioned you’ll want a shelter to allow for better visibility as well as keeping you out of the wind. Good luck if you make it up there, it’s a lot of fun if you get on them.
  As for everyone blasting my first comment, stay classy. You guys contributed nothing to the post and managed to be a bigger ass than myself.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2018, 01:30 PM »
Since this thread seemed to derail and keep running, I tried to look into the question myself. I have never attempted to snag fish before in any methods, not to mention snagging kokes through the ice. I did a few searches and I too found limited information.

What I found that may be helpful to the OP:
Some guys tie some yarn just above a big treble hook and jig until the salmon come to look at the yarn. Then yank up to snag.
Some use big trebles with bright beads and maybe some pieces of crawlers on them for a similar approach to as above.
Some guys use a small jig as the attractant and have a large treble or even spoon below for the snagging.

Either it is some secret that nobody wants to share, or I am over thinking it and it is so simple that no one has to post what they do because they just put on a treble and snag them, or no one really knows any thats why all the back and forth about people being snippy is about, or something else. Regardless of what is going on, I do not know much about snagging kokes and if there is info on IS about it, I can't find it. According to the regs, it is a thing though.

The Montana Regs pg. 64 states
"DEADMANS BASIN RESERVOIR
• Combined trout: 10 daily and in possession.
• Snagging: open for Kokanee Salmon October 1 through December 31, 35 daily and
70 in possession."
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2018, 06:02 PM »
How big does Deadman's grow them? And are they really plentiful enough to warrant a 35 fish limit? Don't worry, I'm not looking to crash the place.  I live nowhere near Billings, haha.

Mizayikaa

« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2018, 07:05 PM »
How big does Deadman's grow them? And are they really plentiful enough to warrant a 35 fish limit? Don't worry, I'm not looking to crash the place.  I live nowhere near Billings, haha.
They are not as big as ones I have caught in other reservoirs. I would call 10" to 12" average. The numbers are good but it's fishing and timing is everything. I have limited out and I have been skunked. 35 daily limit is a product of the fact that these fish are on their way to die so anglers may as well fill their smoker.

Offline Schrest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Anyone know how thick ice is at Deadman’s

Mizayikaa

« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2019, 02:21 PM »

Offline dbenkley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2019, 06:27 PM »
ANyone been out to deadmans this year snagging?

Mizayikaa

« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:37 PM »
ANyone been out to deadmans this year snagging?
My favorite post so far this year! Welcome dbenkley and prepare.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2019, 08:12 PM »
even I don't have anything snarky to say...snagging salmon days are rare and many years past..20...good to see the set of characters on this site..don't be scared newb....a lot of us don't sit in the café and sip coffee together in the morning....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.