The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: testing my new transportation pic  (Read 2901 times)

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
testing my new transportation pic
« on: Feb 11, 2017, 02:47 PM »

Temporary sled here. I'M going to build it with storage and racks for some gear.

Offline 56Supercub

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: testing my new transportation pic
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Cool! back in 1966 a company called Bolens made a rig like yours. It was called a Diablo Rouge. I'm sure a google search will find it for you. It might inspire you to create something even better. Good luck.

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Oh those Diablos are cool. Bigger than what I want. I like my design small, light fits on one of those carriers for the back of my mountaineer. I can haul 2 people, me 170 lbs and my buddy 190 lb no problem.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I road a Diablo in Winter Park, Co.  Thought I was going to buy it for the greatest deal on earth.  Was in brand new condition, $400.  Test road it.  It was horrendous for throwing snow behind it and landing on the rider.  In 10 minutes, my mind was made up that it was a useless item unless a person enjoys being covered in snow continuously.  A very cold seat with the roughest zero comfort ride available.

To each their own tho.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Rengum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2017, 11:07 AM »
very cool!!!

Offline PeteGriffin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Awesome

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:51 AM »
I road a Diablo in Winter Park, Co.  Thought I was going to buy it for the greatest deal on earth.  Was in brand new condition, $400.  Test road it.  It was horrendous for throwing snow behind it and landing on the rider.  In 10 minutes, my mind was made up that it was a useless item unless a person enjoys being covered in snow continuously.  A very cold seat with the roughest zero comfort ride available.

To each their own tho.

Some snow gets on you but isn't that what are sport is cold, snow, ice and having fun. I figured I can get a little snow on my feet and shin's and get across a lake with quickly and practically no effort and get to fishing. Or drag my stuff in a sled back and forth and still get snow on my feet and shin's. I did put springs on my sled and Its a smoother ride than my Mountaineer.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:02 AM »
bigforkG, post a picture of you machine when it's stationary so we can see what it is better.  Much of the machine is covered by thrown-up snow in the picture you posted.

How does the machine handle slush?  I rarely take my snowmobile out on the ice because of the risk of getting hideously stuck in slush on the slush-prone lakes in my area.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:30 PM »
I would also like to see a non-action shot. We're you able to Frankenstein this beast together or did you have to fabricate it yourself? Either way looks like a blast!

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:41 PM »
pretty cool bigforkG. Did you see the article in the Missoulian (last week or so) about the guy up in Seeley that did a similar build, but powers his machine with 18,000 rechargeable AA batteries? Looks like fun and the guy in the article makes extra money by using it to groom ski trails.

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:02 AM »
bigforkG, post a picture of you machine when it's stationary so we can see what it is better.  Much of the machine is covered by thrown-up snow in the picture you posted.

How does the machine handle slush?  I rarely take my snowmobile out on the ice because of the risk of getting hideously stuck in slush on the slush-prone lakes in my area.

I haven't tested it in shush yet. I dont believe it will be a problem since it all track.

I would also like to see a non-action shot. We're you able to Frankenstein this beast together or did you have to fabricate it yourself? Either way looks like a blast!

No I fabricated myself.  I wanted it a certain size so I had to have a track made for me.

Offline Lipripper9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:21 AM »
That is amazing

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Well good work,... What are you using for an engine?

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Well good work,... What are you using for an engine?

6.5 hp. I need to regear it 29mph is a bit to fast.

Offline Mt_opie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Ha ha, 29 mph would be crazy on that thing. When are they going to be for sale.   :P

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Ha ha, 29 mph would be crazy on that thing. When are they going to be for sale.   :P

Ha ha your not the first to ask me that. Not planning on it but if I get asked some more, its possible. Maybe plans.

Tinker

« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:32 AM »
I am curious as to why someone would want such a device when one could buy a good used snowmobile to do the same thing?  I am not trying to criticize I just don't understand why?  is it weight? size? lack of need for registration as a recreational vehicle?  Just wondering, thanks. 

Offline Rengum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Why Not?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:20 PM »
I am curious as to why someone would want such a device when one could buy a good used snowmobile to do the same thing?  I am not trying to criticize I just don't understand why?  is it weight? size? lack of need for registration as a recreational vehicle?  Just wondering, thanks.

Some people just like to "tinker". The satisfaction of seeing a project come together successfully is another reason. The concept of "built not bought" comes to mind.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Some people just like to "tinker". The satisfaction of seeing a project come together successfully is another reason. The concept of "built not bought" comes to mind.

:roflmao: Exactly what I was thinking LL !!

Tinker

« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Hmm. I just might now a guy that likes to Tinker  ;) I think I tried home-made as a handle when I signed up but tinker just seemed to fit better.  Wife thinks I'm nuts, I often either take apart or modify a lot of things soon after purchasing ;D

Offline bigforkG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2017, 10:28 AM »

I wanted something small and light, that could fit onto a cargo carrier and not need a trailer. I did look at used snowmobiles anything under $1000 was junk, needed track, or "ran when parked 10 years ago" aka engine rebuild or a new carburetor. Not to mention dealers "we won't work on something that old" Plus then I would have had to get a trailer and plates. So it was looking like at least $2000.00 for a 20 year old snowmobile and a new trailer.

Like Tinker said.

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:35 PM »
Curious as to how much cash you have into? What or where did you get the track and drivers? Is the frame aluminum or steel? A company called snow dog sells a machine like this for 2000 and up. I've got a Tig and lots of free time and love to tinker so this could be a next project. Pretty awesome! Good work man good work
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2017, 12:48 PM »
I think you should post a handful of pictures so we can see it not in action. Looks like a fun project!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.