The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Chinook Through the ice?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
Chinook Through the ice?
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 12:02 PM »
Has anyone here ever caught one of those Fort Peck chinook salmon through the ice? I would imagine someone must have. A guy should be able to target them just like from a boat on the structure, right? They must see them in spear holes, since they made it legal to spear them. One of those bad boys on a tipup and hand line might be more than you could handle though, I don't know.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Chinook Through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Following!!!🕳🎣

Offline bndhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:16 PM »
Definitely following???

Offline liprippin49ers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:55 PM »
Caught one on Lake Oahe in SD which is the same transplanted fish that are in Fort Peck. That is the only one I've seen caught though. We were targeting walleye and it bit a live minnow on a tip up. Fun hand lining. It was only about 5lbs though. The salmon in Fort Peck are larger than they are in Sakajawea or Oahe though.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2016, 02:52 PM »
Caught one on Lake Oahe in SD which is the same transplanted fish that are in Fort Peck. That is the only one I've seen caught though. We were targeting walleye and it bit a live minnow on a tip up. Fun hand lining. It was only about 5lbs though. The salmon in Fort Peck are larger than they are in Sakajawea or Oahe though.
Yeah the fish we caught were 16 and 18lbs. I didn't think we were going to turn them! Hardest fighting fish I've ever had on a rod! I think they might yank a tip up right down the hole!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2016, 10:10 PM »
Boy if you could figure it out, man would that be fun!!  ;D I've seen some video where they get the silvers on Lake Superior using small spoons at first ice. If a person could track or find the bait there should be a chance at a hook up.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:44 PM »
Fish like this through a 10" hole! OMG would that be fun? If I lived over there I'd be figuring that out!

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:20 AM »
Nice!How much did that weight ^

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2016, 12:21 AM »
I got 9 salmon last Sept. and Oct. Had 30 plus hook ups at Peck. I can't even imagine one on the ice. They would a bit smaller since their only 3 ish years old, LOL
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2016, 11:29 PM »
Nice!How much did that weight ^
That one was 18lb.
I got 9 salmon last Sept. and Oct. Had 30 plus hook ups at Peck. I can't even imagine one on the ice. They would a bit smaller since their only 3 ish years old, LOL
Don't you think a guy could find them on some of the same structure, obviously not on the dam face, but other structure around there? I want to try it. I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but it could be "top secret".

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2016, 10:02 AM »
Does the water in the dam area freeze??

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2016, 11:21 AM »
I've caught one on lake superior threw the ice while bobbing for lake trout the was painful it was 27 pounds and has never happened agian. They don't hold to structure they are very nomadic.
The green hornet has caught more fish then you have lied about.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2016, 03:25 PM »
We've never icefished near the dam, I remember it being frozen, but it often looked a little funky as we drove across.
I've caught one on lake superior threw the ice while bobbing for lake trout the was painful it was 27 pounds and has never happened agian. They don't hold to structure they are very nomadic.
They probably follow the ciscoes around I bet. Seems like a guy could get into some up the Dry Arm over a little deeper water maybe. I think those ciscoes hang in that deeper water.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2016, 04:17 PM »
In a smaller body of water that might hold true

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:52 PM »
Yes. In Jan/feb
So many fish, so little time.

Offline 9tine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2016, 11:41 PM »
Boy if you could figure it out, man would that be fun!!  ;D I've seen some video where they get the silvers on Lake Superior using small spoons at first ice. If a person could track or find the bait there should be a chance at a hook up.
We used to catch the silvers on Superior all winter long in 100 to 150 foot of water using a 4 inch pearl colored Swedish pimple jigger about 1 to two feet off bottom.  If you could find them, you should be able to catch them.

Offline jlreeder43

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2016, 08:06 AM »
If you can get live smelt and put them on a line be close cuz they will spool you quick :) but its fun for a minute

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Well stayed tuned boys and girls, because Howe's Fishing/A Able Charters, in conjunction with Eddie M at the Lakeridge in Fort Peck ARE on a mission to make that happen!

We are planning a mission in February, utilizing Sno Bears, to find, follow, and fish the mighty Chinook in Fort Peck.

We will also be running guided trips out of the Lakeridge this winter, so if you are looking for  change of pace, give us a call, equipment rentals also.

Mike
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2016, 02:14 PM »
Mike, sounds like a fun challenge and I look forward to the pictures.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2016, 09:20 AM »
It will be a blast, still trying to figure out a way to make a contest out of it so we can also include a couple "winners" to join us.  After flying in on helicopters to ice fish for the TGO TV show a couple years ago, we have been looking for that NEXT BIG PROJECT  LOL...this may be it.

If you are not familiar with the Sno Bear, check it out.  Fishing out of these is an incredible experience...

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline deadstick81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:26 AM »
cant  wait to see the results

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Will you be offering multi-species trips or strictly lake trout guiding?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2016, 02:28 PM »
It will be a blast, still trying to figure out a way to make a contest out of it so we can also include a couple "winners" to join us.  After flying in on helicopters to ice fish for the TGO TV show a couple years ago, we have been looking for that NEXT BIG PROJECT  LOL...this may be it.

If you are not familiar with the Sno Bear, check it out.  Fishing out of these is an incredible experience...

Mike
We are supposed to go on one of those Sno Bear trips on Devil's Lake in March, but I'd much rather go to Fort Peck! Especially if those Chinooks can be located!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Will you be offering multi-species trips or strictly lake trout guiding?

All the trips, open water and ice, will be multi species, will be based out of Lakeridge motel in Fort Peck, and left to the expertise of Jason Mundell, Eddie Mindt and others.  I'm hoping they let me tag along on a couple!!!

Much more news after the first of the year ;D

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.