The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Things other than the fishing line going down the hole!  (Read 1269 times)

Offline RAD594

• IceShanty Rookie
I just saw a post about unexpected things like muskrats coming out of the ice hole but what do you think the most common thing accidentally going down the hole is?   I heard that a $700.00 phone went down a hole at Pishkun last Saturday.

Offline ICEO

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Things other than the fishing line going down the hole!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Lost a 12 volt inverter down a hole a couple of years ago. It was the type that fits in a cup holder and plugs into the lighter plug. We just heard the splash, had to look around to see what went in. Used the camera to confirm that's what it was setting on the bottom. Could not hook it with a hook. still setting there today.
 ::)

strgon84

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:04 PM »
Tipup flag out at pishkun last saturday. one of those round orange one's. trying to put the flag back on in the chanty and down it went. didnt even hit the rim.

Offline RAD594

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:22 PM »

Tipup flag out at pishkun last saturday. one of those round orange one's. trying to put the flag back on in the chanty and down it went. didnt even hit the rim.
[/quote]
Hey strgon, that wasn't you that lost the phone was it?

strgon84

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:30 PM »
Nope. We were setup off the big point. and left around 11. Just my kid and I. White dodge dakota truck

Offline Jkapp84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Two years ago I speared a muskrat

Offline RAD594

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:43 PM »
We fished the water South of the canal.  Only caught 1 20" pike and lost one about 5 lb. Had 8 flags but they would drop the smelt before we could get to them.

Offline Jared D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:45 PM »
I have seen quite a few bells go down holes and I also dropped a brand new Gerber multi tool down a hole in about 12 feet of water. Took about an hour or so but was able to snag it with a big sweedish pimple and get it back! Have also had poles fall off of rod holders in the wind and go down holes and were able to hook them and bring them back up too!

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Called to my 8yr old son to bring over the ice skimmer.  He runs and slips and falls behind me.  I turn around to see what happened and then hear a kind of splash behind me.  I see him all spread out on the ice and ask him if he is ok and where the skimmer is.  He says it went behind me.   Sure enough the skimmer when flying through the air and "swish no net" down the 8" hole.  We could see it on the bottom .  Since then I carry a little $6 carabiner clip magnet that will lift 45 lbs in case we drop something down the hole.  That was a couple years ago and since then we have only lost the handle of a reel that we were able to retrieve with the magnet.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-MAGNETICS-45-lb-3-4-in-Carabiner-Hook-07587HD/202639935

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:49 PM »
lead depth sounder
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2016, 01:50 PM »
This thread comes back every year.  Sort of an on ice confessional. Do a search and be amazed at what has been lost down a hole.  A friend of mine once lost a brand new pair of prescription eyeglasses down a hole.  (Frames didn't fit, anyway.)  They had a warranty on them so he was able to wangle a replacement pair for half price. ;D

strgon84

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:06 PM »
We fished the water South of the canal.  Only caught 1 20" pike and lost one about 5 lb. Had 8 flags but they would drop the smelt before we could get to them.
Same here. they just wouldnt stay with it. went to Bynum afterwards and got 2 dink perch. I almost ended up down the hole. stepped right in clear up past my knee. fast trip out of there!!

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:12 PM »
I've lost a couple of phones down the hole over the years. That sucks. Trying to explain that to the insurance gal is not easy!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:20 PM »
axe when i fell through last year....
Several years prior to that my water proof camera in about 15' of water. It had a neoprene lanyard on it so i figured that had to be floating up at least 18" above the camera. Jigged for about 30 seconds, hooked it, dried it off, good to go.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:28 PM »
axe when i fell through last year....
Several years prior to that my water proof camera in about 15' of water. It had a neoprene lanyard on it so i figured that had to be floating up at least 18" above the camera. Jigged for about 30 seconds, hooked it, dried it off, good to go.

Missoulafish,

I saw this in another post, was this you???? :o :o

Offline FishArms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:29 PM »
I also lost a waterproof digital camera about 5 years ago in 35 FOW (which is well beyond its depth rating). I drilled a hole right next to it and dropped the Aqua-Vu down, and was able to snag the wrist strap.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Missoulafish,

was this you???? :o :o

that guy is tougher than me  :roflmao:

Offline Timandstace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:37 PM »
Lost a thermos filled with coffee at Nilan Reservoir out of Augusta in about 35' of water.  Could only see down about 15', so it was lost forever.

Offline mtoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish for anything
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2016, 07:58 PM »
Couple years ago I broke a blade off a hand auger and it sank
I also broke the ice scoop and lost it down the hole
Never lost anything really important but have touched the fishing line to heater loosing gear a couple times
and I have lost a fish or two that were left to close to an open hole  :-\
Formerly youngoutdoorsmans but wouldn't you know, I got older

Offline 207 in the 406

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:23 PM »
I've been present when a cell phone, a pair of prescription glasses, a jig road, and a hand auger went down the hole (separate incidents). Glasses, rod, and phone were lost and gone forever, but I did manage to "lasso" the hand auger and get it back to its owner (it was in the shallow end of spring meadow, maybe 15fow.) My own cell phone went swimming in Park Lake October 2015 in 6-8 fow. Managed to get it out after a frigid dip thanks to my Surefire flashlight. Phone kept working till I dropped it a few months later.

Offline Znistler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:22 AM »
A beautiful mag lite hit the ice did a spin and right down the hole she went

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:51 AM »
wind blew my dipper across the ice and down the hole and last year on Holter I lost an open box of jigs in a windstorm and they went down a hole. I had a line in it and some of the jigs got hooked on the jig I was using so I didn't loose them all, just most of them. lost a headlamp in Devils Lake ND last year. Seems I donate a lot of stuff to the fish
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:43 PM »
Dropped my week old phone phone in 35 fow but luckily the insurance gal was from Wisconsin and her husband did the same thing weeks prior. Perch fishing was real active for about 5 minutes after that though. Also had a buddy knock my propane lantern through our permanent. Quit fishing since the propane kept bubbling into the house.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline greener07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:36 PM »
A buddy and I were fishing Georgetown last year.   he dropped his cell phone in the hole and then an hour or so later he dropped my Dipper in the hole.  as we were standing there,  his Rod almost fell in the hole.  He picked it up, set the hook and thought he had a big fish on, but it turned out to be my dipper.  When it fell in, it slid all the way down The line and got hooked on the hook so I did get my dipped back, but he still lost the cell phone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.