The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What are your go to cleats for the ice?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Larson9740

• IceShanty Rookie
What are your go to cleats for the ice?
« on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:13 PM »
I am planning ahead for the slick ice. I have used the cheap rubber ones before and am going to invest in a better system. 
I would like to know which cleats or traction system you prefer. Thanks for the info

Offline Baitslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What are your go to cleats for the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:18 PM »
Spend the money and buy a set of korkers.  Not cheap, but there is nothing better and they last for decades.
Fat, Drunk, and Stupid for over half a century

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:24 PM »
My absolute favorite ice cleats are my korkers, they are worth every penny. Also there are different styles depending on how many of the spikes you want and there is two different type of spikes too. I've had mine for a couple years now and they still look new and never come off..
Here is link for them: http://www.korkers.com/footwear/winter/extreme-ice-cleats.html

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2016, 07:04 AM »
Kahtoolas

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Hillsound Freestep6 very similar to the Kahtoola Microspikes and usually cheaper. I've had 0 issues with them and they work really nice with my mucks.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:11 AM »
kold kutter hardened ice racing screws. very sharp. very cheap. very effective.

30 in each boot. customize your placement and you can have better coverage in heels and toes where it's needed the most.
5$ per pair and enough to do 4 pair with spare left over. i have them in 3 pairs of winter boots now including mickey's. no need to worry about any thing. you can walk on indoor flooring, you just walk flat footed if you have to.
https://www.amazon.com/Kold-Kutter-Snowmobile-Traction-Screws/dp/B008N6AQXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481810183&sr=8-1&keywords=kold+kutter
any traction system loads up with pack snow when the conditions are right. think about slipping when not ice fishing and if you want protection full time or part time. micro spike's hurt my heel bones wearing heavy duty cabelas inferno 2000 boots and i don't care for them. i have to remove them to use my suit case shanty and then walk on ice with zero protection unless you keep installing them and removing them. i want to fish instead. i have a set used a couple of times. if you think you want that type of system, ebay has the same thing for 10$ but has more contact points (12 per boot). that's 5$ a foot and those work the same. actually they are better. no reason to pay that 65$ for micro spikes that dry rot and can get pulled off and split boots open at the seams and another 10$ for their bag. the ebay versions come with bags. i bought 2 sets for guests. these come with straps so you don't loose them walking on snow at least.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winter-12-Teeth-Points-Climb-Ice-Snow-Boot-Shoe-Covers-Crampons-Cleats-Gripper-/192006119442?hash=item2cb474e012:g:cSIAAOSwm0JYDVcZ

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:05 AM »
Consider the following.  The more metal, the more ice build up when drilling holes.  The boots you use them on, pressure points on the sole of the shoe, do the cleats have grips at the toe and on the heal, even weight distribution on the cleat so you don't feel like you are walk on high heels, (not that I have tried that), just saying, some pull on type slip off when walking in mud or deeper snow and you won't know until you walk on ice or go to remove them.  Seen that a lot.  I have used the ones in the picture for over 11 years.  They originally cost $7.00, I saw them at Scheel's a week ago for $35 or so.  WOW!

wish you many hook-ups

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:39 AM »

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Consider the following.  The more metal, the more ice build up when drilling holes.  The boots you use them on, pressure points on the sole of the shoe, do the cleats have grips at the toe and on the heal, even weight distribution on the cleat so you don't feel like you are walk on high heels, (not that I have tried that), just saying, some pull on type slip off when walking in mud or deeper snow and you won't know until you walk on ice or go to remove them.  Seen that a lot.  I have used the ones in the picture for over 11 years.  They originally cost $7.00, I saw them at Scheel's a week ago for $35 or so.  WOW!

(Image removed from quote.)

X2  I got these same cleats about 5 years ago and they're the BEST I've ever had and only ones I'll ever buy again. The only thing I did with mine is I took the screws out and put a drop of removable (blue) lock-tight on the threads so they don't come loose.

Offline MTWALLEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:54 AM »
I bought the K & E Boot "Chizels". They are on the cheaper side for cleats, but they use surgical tubing so they last a lot longer. I have a few buddies that have had the same pair forever.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:55 AM »
Previously I wore Ice spiders but now I have tapcons in the bottom of my boots!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Hillsound Trail Crampon Ultra. Most spikes, added strap for security, and all stainless material.

http://hillsound.com/hillsound-product/trail-crampon-ultra/

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I too prefer permanent studs in a dedicated pair of fishing boots.  The caveat is that I only own floorless shelters.  Any traction device with chains as part of the system will result in a pretty miserable snow or ice buildup when the air temp is hovering around 32 or a slush layer forms beneath heavy snow...and the latter is probably happening as I type this. That's not to say the slip-ons aren't part of my arsenal for other activities, just not icefishing.  If you do go that route, be sure to have a means of lashing the devices to your boot laces or you will be losing one or both in the snow at some point.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Timandstace

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2016, 02:40 PM »
Got a pair of the higher quality Stabilicers, and they're ok.  I'm hoping Santa Claus will bring me a pair of Korkers this year--they look like the real deal.

Offline mtbighorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2016, 03:24 PM »
x2

Offline Liprippa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:29 PM »
Kahtoolas
  kahtoola micro spikes all the way.  They are spendy but worth every cent. I have had them for 3 seasons and haven't had one issue with them.

Offline rrstang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:42 PM »
A few years ago I went to the ARMY surplus store a bought a pair of the extreme weather bunny boots and screwed 1/4 inch machine screws into the soles.  I guarantee these bad boys don't slip on the ice at all. 

Offline MTHarpooner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I use Yak Trax on my Bog Boots and the cheap ones from Cabelas/Scheels on my Sorrels. The Yak Trax are in my opinion pretty nice for the money. I got my wife and daughter some too.

Offline capt276

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2016, 11:21 AM »
I like the yak tracks as well, the work good and are not too heavy.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2016, 09:49 PM »
I have feild tested everything on the market. Kahtoola micro spikes are the cats a$$.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline mtsledneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2016, 10:01 AM »
Love my katahoolas

Offline 1goldsniper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Insulated calked boot is the only way for me!
White's used to make a logging calked boot that I still have today and love them You could push a car on smooth lake ice if you had to. They have replaceable golf or logging corks on them. Hoffman makes a thinsulted looger boot but I don't like thinsulate. No insulation for warmth for ice fishing unless electric socks are worn. Viking also makes a  calked  orange boot but I don't know about the insulation.
I like the replaceable calks!

Offline green0032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2016, 03:31 PM »
good stuff here, thanks.

Offline smiley_n_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:05 AM »
IceTrekker diamond grip. Bungee cord sorta slip ons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.