The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pocket GPS and lake data  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pocket GPS and lake data
« on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Been prowling the electronics pages on Ice Shanty and finding very little info on gps systems. What are you guys using and why? I've heard Garmin is the best and LakeVu is good but don't know much else about it. Can you educate me a bit?

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pocket GPS and lake data
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:46 PM »
I have used Garmin for the last ten years for work and play.  Personally I wouldn't switch to another brand because I don't want to learn a new system.  If you go Garmin, then the fun part is picking a model. For a good pocket size unit, then try the eTrex series. If you need something with a larger screen don't shy away from the Oregon series (personally my favorite).  If you need a larger screen than the Oregon then try the Montana series. This unit is my least favorite of the three due to the weight and feel but this is my opinion and this unit is hidden in my desk.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Don't know if this fits what you are looking for but I've been using navionics on my phone and it is awesome.  There are a bunch of lake maps on it with sonar charts on some in 2 ft contours.  You can link the gps in your smart phone to show you where you are on the lake and you can mark points when you find fish.  Probably not quite as accurate on the gps but the maps are great if they have your lake, and it's only like 5 bucks...   My everything else gps is a garmin oregon and it is a great unit.

Offline cwagnerph7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Does anyone know what contour maps are compatible with the Oregon?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 09:39 PM »
Garmin Montana 650T.....Never leave home without it !!

Offline spear1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 10:11 PM »
Spitzo, my better half got me that model for Xmas an I have yet to take it out of the box.. is there a lake map card you can get for it an if so are they descent maps? User friendly?

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:37 PM »
Vicster do you have to have cell service for the navionics app to work? A lot of lakes I fish don't have any service anywhere near them.
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:59 PM »
@ spear1

Hey spear.....I haven't added anything extra to mine yet, so I don't have lake maps. I basically use mine for keeping track of my hot spots on the hardwater, a.k.a marking waypoints. Very easy to do & very accurate. As far as getting lake maps for the unit, I would check the Garmin website or call them. You can also get free maps at gpsfiledepot.com, which I believe requires installing Garmin Basecamp on your computer to upload the maps to your unit. Another website to check is onxmaps.com, a company based in Missoula. They make maps for Garmin devices that you can download to computer then upload to device or SD/Micro SD cards with the maps. I just looked at their website & it still says, "Coming Soon Maps For Fishing". Sorry so winded, just a bit of info for ya !!

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:49 AM »
@Papa

Garmin will be your best option since they pretty much own the GPS industry. In no particular order theses are my top three: GPSMAP 64s, Oregon 650, Montana 650. Each one comes with a "t" at the end of the name meaning it's loaded with 100k Topographical maps. Not really navigable, say like the 24k topo, so you can save couple $$$ there if you don't get the "t" version.

For duel use ONXMAPS (formly know as Hunting GPS Map) offer a land ownership map that has the "same" bathymetric (contour) map I used to make for the kml-Google Earth,  except that they did do some manipulation to the line to match their water body. Not cheap but you get best of both world-land and water!

Fyi..... when the season slow down n I quite fishing so much I plan on working on topo base map(Garmin base) with the lake contour that show ownership and roads that can be loaded to most Garmin gps....... and yes it'll be free. Thinking by late summer-archery season.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:05 AM »
@ howdy.

Navionics works fine without cell service.  The trick is that you need to "load" the lake on to your phone where you do have service.  All you need to do for say fort peck is sit at your house and zoom in on fort peck.  Eventually you'll start to see the contours show up.  Manipulate the screen to "move" around the lake till its all loaded.  I was at peck this last week and I use AT&T which have horrible service up there but the navionics worked flawlessly. 
On another note we used navionics to put us on the spot but with little to no service it eats up battery life on the phone.  I kept my phone in airplane mode until we were using it to preserve battery life.  The gps does not work in airplane mode though so you have to switch back and forth a lot. 
Only real problem with navionics in MT is the lack of lakes it has on it.  It's only 10 bucks though.  Look to see what lakes it has then decide if its right for you. 
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline spear1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Thanks for all the info Spitz,, much appreciated!

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 10:12 AM »
Garmin Montana 650T.....Never leave home without it !!
I got the Garmin Montana 650 do I need an SD card for Montana lakes, North American lakes?I'm not a high tech guy, I still icefish.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:29 AM »

On another note we used navionics to put us on the spot but with little to no service it eats up battery life on the phone.  I kept my phone in airplane mode until we were using it to preserve battery life.  The gps does not work in airplane mode though so you have to switch back and forth a lot. 

Excellent point.

Converting the FWP shapefiles to KML format provides the highest level of detail for desktop scouting in GoogleEarth. Again, the number of lakes that have available mapping data is a limiting factor. I save waypoints of interesting features within GE and then transfer them to my handheld Garmin. Between that and Navionics though, I can feel pretty well informed when I hit the ice.  Unfortunately, the fish don't always confirm my mapped hunches.  ;) 
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I Emailed Garmin concerning a recommendation for a GPS for ice fishing waypoints ...they recommended the Etrex 20 . You can add map SD cards and make/import custom maps via Goggle Earth (pretty easy ) so if you have a DEC/DMP map downloaded to your computer you can the use Goggle Earth to make a custom map then get it onto your GPS  device...screen is a little small ..but price goes up with each up grade ...was able to get the 20 in a bundle with a case usb cord and 24k USA topo from Cabelas for $149.00...around the holidays. If you Y tube you can better see each unit and how to make custom maps.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:29 PM »
For duel use ONXMAPS (formly know as Hunting GPS Map) offer a land ownership map that has the "same" bathymetric (contour) map I used to make for the kml-Google Earth,  except that they did do some manipulation to the line to match their water body. Not cheap but you get best of both world-land and water!
TL: Is that available via cell phone app toggle?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:23 PM »
TL: Is that available via cell phone app toggle?

Unfortunately not for mobile devices at this time.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Diehard, that was a slug of good info. I'm overloading the grey matter trying to absorb........... but I'm learning!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:07 PM »
Diehard, that was a slug of good info. I'm overloading the grey matter trying to absorb........... but I'm learning!!

I was in the same boat as you in mid October ...then with  knowledge available on IS I decided on Garmin ...then after all my research ...which made my head spin ...and soooo many features(most of which I didn't know existed) available with the various Garmin units ....I sorted through the features I would use/like ....so for me it was  the Etrex 20 ...those videos are the best of my research as far as what turned me onto the Etrex 20 . Good Luck with your research .

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:18 PM »
@ spear1

Hey spear.....I haven't added anything extra to mine yet, so I don't have lake maps. I basically use mine for keeping track of my hot spots on the hardwater, a.k.a marking waypoints. Very easy to do & very accurate. As far as getting lake maps for the unit, I would check the Garmin website or call them. You can also get free maps at gpsfiledepot.com, which I believe requires installing Garmin Basecamp on your computer to upload the maps to your unit. Another website to check is onxmaps.com, a company based in Missoula. They make maps for Garmin devices that you can download to computer then upload to device or SD/Micro SD cards with the maps. I just looked at their website & it still says, "Coming Soon Maps For Fishing". Sorry so winded, just a bit of info for ya !!

I have a 650 (not 650T, I just preload my own maps) and it is fantastic.  I take it places I never intended to. 
For whatever it is worth, many lakes in ONYX's MT maps have depth charts (I am not claiming they all do).
I have used these on virgin lakes in western MT to find drop offs and whatnot.
Seconding Spitzo's accuray accolades, my flasher verified the depths my Garmin claimed.
Just thought I would bring this up if you wanted to double up on GPS usage (hunting & fishing); Might save you some $, maps are spendy!!!

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:08 PM »
With the "Overlay" image process that Diehard mention you can do the same with the Google Earth-Bathymetric. Save the image with the contour and re-overlay it back onto Google Earth, then save as kmz file. From pass experience, it does take time to get it perfectly overlay and if you're as anal as myself, accuracy is a premium. But all software/program are free, so all that is require is "time." 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:28 PM »
With the "Overlay" image process that Diehard mention you can do the same with the Google Earth-Bathymetric. Save the image with the contour and re-overlay it back onto Google Earth, then save as kmz file. From pass experience, it does take time to get it perfectly overlay and if you're as anal as myself, accuracy is a premium. But all software/program are free, so all that is require is "time." 

Where is the Google Earth-Bathymetric ...is that a added feature?..I would like to explore this ...a link or explanation if you could ?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:11 AM »
Sorry Diehard it may be no use for you. It's only for Montana. Our state Fish and Game provide lake bathymetric data in which I converted to kml so that you can open in Google Earth.  Here's the link any way.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=202841.120

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Thanks TooLucky406  ...thought I was missing the boat on something use for my State .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.