The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: worm in my perch  (Read 2812 times)

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
worm in my perch
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:45 PM »
anyone ever found a long tape worm in there perch guts i did and it was sick looking  healthy looking perch but when we started pulling on it it just kept coming and coming out  9 to 10 inch worm should i be concerned  about the meat
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline Fishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: worm in my perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:30 PM »
thats nasty! i found a couple of worms in a pike minnow from this weekend that was gross too. i assume that its safe. ive cleaned alot of fish in my days and seen alot of tape worms

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:35 PM »
I've pulled one out of a perch once too. I would just throw it. No need running the risk of getting an intestinal worm from it. But I have read a few articles saying to just cook it well and clean anything that touched the fish extremely well

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Them are sum nasty Perch in your town :sick:  :sick:
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:12 AM »
I caught a sucker out of Crow Reservoir. It was so fat I had to see why so I chopped it in half with an axe. It  had a tape worm that was at least 6 ft long inside it. I almost puked down the hole I caught it out of.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:16 AM »
fully freeze, thaw, then cook as usuall itll be fine

Offline DLakermovedWest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Tape worms are people too. Why the hate? ;) Think of them as a better looking Nancy Pelosi feeding off your pay check...part of the natural order.

Perfectly safe, even the little worms in the flesh of spotty perch cook through...though I prefer to cut them out as much as possible.

Offline Fishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:00 PM »
tape worms use to be the the hot thing with dieting all you had to do was get one and you will start shedding off the pounds.

they use to sell it at the drug store as a weight lost

Yummmm!!!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:16 PM »
anyone ever found a long tape worm in there perch guts i did and it was sick looking  healthy looking perch but when we started pulling on it it just kept coming and coming out  9 to 10 inch worm should i be concerned  about the meat
the minnesota dnr has some good info on this....those folk really know their fishing in minnesoda....i also had a 10 inch fettuchini sized white tape worm in my perch last week......yuck!!!!! there are probably many that we don't see in their mature form...if you don't toss it...try to get the image out of your head....cook the heck out of it....and wash it down with a shot of tequila!!!! lol...

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:28 PM »
the minnesota dnr has some good info on this....those folk really know their fishing in minnesoda....i also had a 10 inch fettuchini sized white tape worm in my perch last week......yuck!!!!! there are probably many that we don't see in their mature form...if you don't toss it...try to get the image out of your head....cook the heck out of it....and wash it down with a shot of tequila!!!! lol...
Don't eat the worm after you finish the bottle of tequila...  ;)

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Think of them as a better looking Nancy Pelosi feeding off your pay check...part of the natural order.

LOL! ain't that the truth.

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:02 PM »

There is nothing wrong with the meat; the tape worm would have been attached to the inside of the fish’s intestines.  Just rinse the meat really good.  The amount of heat used to cook the fish will kill any portion of the worm that was left behind after you washed it.  Many other animals domestic and wild naturally pick up the worms and you never hear of someone getting tape worms from eating elk or beef.  Just make sure you wash your hands really good after handling one.  If you find yourself losing weight in the next month or two wait tell you reach your desired weight loss and then go to the doctor.

Thanks for putting me up, showing me some good places to fish and to boot we out did you in the derby.

See ya at Francis!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:58 PM »
There is nothing wrong with the meat; the tape worm would have been attached to the inside of the fish’s intestines.  Just rinse the meat really good.  The amount of heat used to cook the fish will kill any portion of the worm that was left behind after you washed it.  Many other animals domestic and wild naturally pick up the worms and you never hear of someone getting tape worms from eating elk or beef.  Just make sure you wash your hands really good after handling one.  If you find yourself losing weight in the next month or two wait tell you reach your desired weight loss and then go to the doctor.

Thanks for putting me up, showing me some good places to fish and to boot we out did you in the derby.

See ya at Francis!

your welcome anytime as far as cf derby even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:02 PM »
was it a tape worm, which is flat or was it a red thread like worm? if it;s was the later, it's a round worm!

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2011, 07:20 PM »
was it a tape worm, which is flat or was it a red thread like worm? if it;s was the later, it's a round worm!
1/4 inch wide flat with a  pointed tail and a suction cup looking head

Offline YETI_MILK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2011, 01:34 PM »
1/4 inch wide flat with a  pointed tail and a suction cup looking head

oh man that gross. i dont think my wife would eat fish agin if i shiowed her that. where u catch it ???
Whats do you drink on the ice? I like beer. any advise is greatly appreciated

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Even though it's somewhat gross to see a tape worm hanging out of a fish, don't worry about it. Their cycle does not include any portion of time in a fishes flesh, just the digestive tract. The eggs are in the gut and flushing the body cavity like we always do takes care of anything that may have been left behind. Cooking takes care of the rest. Even most of the worms you might see in the flesh of a fish are killed by cooking. I spend every summer in Alaska and most of the big halibut we get have worm cysts in the flesh if you look carefully. No big deal. Ditto with cod and some rock fish. Just don't start eating them raw on rice balls!

Offline Old Man Winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:37 PM »
You can't fillet too many panfish without discovering parasites. Not a big deal. Remove the large ones and cook the fish thoroughly.

Offline blueperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sodus Bay
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:41 PM »
H"mmm, makes you want to run out there and catch some more. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2011, 02:46 PM »
i dont think worms can hurt you. my dad shot a bear that had som e kind of worms in it. mom just cooked it welldone and we eat it  :tipup:
Trout..yummy..yummy fer my tummy...

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:56 PM »
oh man that gross. i dont think my wife would eat fish agin if i shiowed her that. where u catch it ???
canyon ferry

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Ya if you cook the meat good it would be just fine. But if it were me I don't think I would be eating fish for a day or two. :sick:

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I grew up fishing the river below the Canyon Ferry Dam and caught lots of trout and suckers with tape worms. As a kid I discovered that they make great bait. I would gut the first fish I caught and pull out the tape worm, cut it into chunks and throw some on a hook. The fish went nuts for them. I remember thinking it was pretty cool that the fish brought me bait.

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:16 PM »
I grew up fishing the river below the Canyon Ferry Dam and caught lots of trout and suckers with tape worms. As a kid I discovered that they make great bait. I would gut the first fish I caught and pull out the tape worm, cut it into chunks and throw some on a hook. The fish went nuts for them. I remember thinking it was pretty cool that the fish brought me bait.
so your the guilty one giving those fish  the worms  probably how my dog got them eating fish heads lol not a bad idea though free bait :) :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.