The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Placid Lake  (Read 6580 times)

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
Placid Lake
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Hey all! Was wondering if anyone has fished Placid Lake at all recently? I was thinking of making a weekend trip over to that area and wanted to possibly hit Placid while I was over there. How was/is the fishing?

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Placid Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:08 AM »
I have not fished it myself but have heard that its been slow. A friend pulled a 30lb pike out of Seeley last week though and I saw one being drug off Salmon that had to be close to 20lbs. So if your interested in Pike I would try those two first.

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the info. Haven't really ever fished for Pike before, although the old man used to spear quite a bit. Do you catch them on tip ups or spearing or whats the deal?

Offline chumley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:46 AM »
I fished Placid Lake on New Years Eve and got skunked.  But, it was the first time I ever fished it, so take this report for all that its worth.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:32 PM »
I fished Placid a few weeks ago and it was pretty slow.  Got a few small trout and even smaller perch.  That was it.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 03:18 PM »
If your looking for trout try hidden lake a few miles past placid.

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I've really only fished Placid once, and it wasn't through the ice. What kind of fish are even in there? Seems like someone was telling me you can catch the occasional salmon in there. I was going to head up to Hidden Lake this summer, but never really made it; mostly trout in there? Also, whats the story with Lake Inez? I was going to head up there this summer as well but I never made it up there.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:43 AM »
Placid has Salmon perch pike trout bass and sunfish. Hidden is all trout and some pretty large ones at that. Inez has perch trout salmon pike and sunfish. Hidden is by far the best trout lake in my opinion with relatively easy access. Inez is another slow one right now but you wont know when these lakes pick up till you go so I wouldnt discount any of them unless you are really limited on time.

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2010, 01:29 AM »
I'd like to make a weekend trip from Helena up to the area in the next couple of weeks. Possibly hitting one of them the first day, and then the other on the second day. Should be a fun trip if I can get all of the logistics taken care of! I just love that area up there. Thanks for the info!

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Also, whats it like getting up to Hidden? Is a four-wheeler needed, or could you get up there in a pick-up?

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I think you'd have to have a snow machine(as Sarah Palin would say) on that road this time of year. Its open fall spring and summer, but a lot of those roads in the mountains around seeley are for sleds only come winter.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:59 PM »
The main Placid Lake road goes right past Hidden Lake. If anything you might have to walk a couple hundred yards to the lake.

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Went up to Hidden this past Saturday.  Fished for about an hour and a half.  Neither one of us got a bit and didn't even see anything on the fish finder.   Stopped at Harpers on the way home and caught three small trouters.  Going back over to Georgetown this next Saturday.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:09 AM »
Kokanees in spawning colors:)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Nice work buddy. Welcome to IS.....I know how it is to take the GF on the ice.  She's my fishing partner and expects to be landing fish hand over fist on every trip.  ;D ;D Welcome to IS-This is the coolest icefishing site ever.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Some pretty kokes! What time were you fishing at? How was the ice? Hoping to head up there in the coming weeks! Welcome to the site!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:26 PM »
Its just like 99% of the other perch fisheries in the state, if you punch enough holes you will find a few bigger ones here and there. You wont ever be pulling 14 inchers out one after the other.

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Fished Placid last Saturday near the outlet in about 12 fow.Caught lots of perch in the 6 to 7 inch class but no keepers. Punched a lot of holes from 7 to 20 fow and just could not find the big ones. Maybe next time!
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline frozen lovemuscle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old woman she might be worth one donkey
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2010, 05:46 PM »
coaght a dozen perch sunday morning. the weekend before was out all day and cought 60 perch and 1 trout between 2 of us.

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:50 AM »
Hey guys/gals.  Looking at hitting Placid for the first time later on this week.  Anyone get up there over the weekend and if so how is the bite?

Offline frozen lovemuscle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old woman she might be worth one donkey
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Any size? What were you using? What depth were they?...Details son...
maggots on a tiny dropper green or pink in 6 to 10 fow. non over 10in. mostly 5-6in. also mealworms were doing good for awhile.

Offline slyfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2010, 06:15 PM »
bump

Offline perchassassin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:06 PM »
Has anyone been up to Placid yet this year?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.