The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Amount of holes with a Ion  (Read 3354 times)

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
Amount of holes with a Ion
« on: Jan 15, 2022, 04:26 PM »
How many  holes should I expect with a charged battery  through 12 inches of ice with a ION 8 inch bit?
How are the edges ?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Amount of holes with a Ion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:14 PM »
What set up are you using? ION powerhead? Cordless drill? What amp hour Battery ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:16 PM »
I drilled 40 - 50 thru 14 inches of ice one time & the battery still had all its lights.....I would feel pretty confident in expecting around 100 thru 12 inches on a fully charged battery.....

EDIT: Sorry.....Should have stated that this was with Ion powerhead !!

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06:31 PM »
I drilled 80 holes into 20+ inches last year with my 8 inch Ion G2, still had power at days end. This season, I drilled 100 holes into 7 inches, still had 2 of 3 bars power. Guessing I could have drilled over 250. It's rated for 2000 inches, so as long as battery is OK and blades are sharp, you should be able to get over 150 holes into 12 inches.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2022, 08:38 PM »
How many  holes should I expect with a charged battery  through 12 inches of ice with a ION 8 inch bit?

From their website, "With its 8 inch auger bit, the battery produces up to 1000 inches of drilling power on a single charge."
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2022, 08:43 PM »
My friend just bought one today from Runnings in CT and was wondering if he needs a spare battery
How are the edges ?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2022, 02:27 AM »
Advertised from 1600" to 2400" of ice depending on the model an on the battey(s) some with one 4ah ,,one with 5ah and one with two 4ah

https://ioniceaugers.com/collections/ion-g2/products/8-ion-g2

https://ioniceaugers.com/collections/ion-r1/products/ion-r1-gen1-8-inch-39250

https://ioniceaugers.com/collections/ion/products/8-ion
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2022, 08:16 AM »
We recently did some testing with an ion g2 8 inch fight. We got 27 holes in 27 inches of ice with the 4 ah battery(this year they ship with 2 4ah instead of 1 6ah). Ion claimes 1200 inches on a battery for the g2, ive seen youtube tests over and over where all brands exaggarate. We got 730 inches. Granted the deeper the ice the less your inches will be due to carring extra chips up.  So we got 182 inches per ah at 40v.

Also did this same test with an 8 inch eskimo pistol bit and a milwaukee fuel gen 3 with a hi output 6ah battery( for a short time they made a different 6ah thats the same size as the very common 5 ah, and is not the hi outout version) There was less ice. We got 24 holes through 24 inches. So 567 inches. plus this battery put in have a dozen ice anchors. So we got 96 inches per ah at 20v. Convert that to 40v to show how it would compare and we get 192 inches per ah. very comparable. if the ice was the same thickness it would probably be identical.

Both batteries were not new and had some charges on them. They started the test full. Holes were not all drilled one after the other. We were fishing so half a dozen at a time.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2022, 10:03 AM »
We recently did some testing with an ion g2 8 inch fight. We got 27 holes in 27 inches of ice with the 4 ah battery(this year they ship with 2 4ah instead of 1 6ah). Ion claimes 1200 inches on a battery for the g2, ive seen youtube tests over and over where all brands exaggarate. We got 730 inches. Granted the deeper the ice the less your inches will be due to carring extra chips up.  So we got 182 inches per ah at 40v.

Also did this same test with an 8 inch eskimo pistol bit and a milwaukee fuel gen 3 with a hi output 6ah battery( for a short time they made a different 6ah thats the same size as the very common 5 ah, and is not the hi outout version) There was less ice. We got 24 holes through 24 inches. So 567 inches. plus this battery put in have a dozen ice anchors. So we got 96 inches per ah at 20v. Convert that to 40v to show how it would compare and we get 192 inches per ah. very comparable. if the ice was the same thickness it would probably be identical.

Both batteries were not new and had some charges on them. They started the test full. Holes were not all drilled one after the other. We were fishing so half a dozen at a time.

Mine came with the 40v 6AH. Guess I must have got real lucky, or maybe because it was a new battery when I got the 1600 inches in pretty cold weather and still had power left. And that was over 7-8 hours or so of fishing, we were drilling 10 at a time to keep count.

I did notice that the Ion batteries are hard to find now, don't think anyone in Canada has them, and only a couple places to get the in the USA.

Offline snipersam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2022, 11:57 AM »
it very well may do 1600 inches in less ice. I think most electric augers are rated at 16 inches of ice. We were in alot more than that.  but deeper ice will drop those inches considerablly. Carring those chips up is alot of extra strain. You can feel this more easily with the cordless drill/ pistol bit combo than the g2 due to gearing. but for the first foot the pistol bit and gen 3 fuel just fly. then it starts getting worked harder and harder as you go down.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2022, 12:07 PM »
it very well may do 1600 inches in less ice. I think most electric augers are rated at 16 inches of ice. We were in alot more than that.  but deeper ice will drop those inches considerablly. Carring those chips up is alot of extra strain. You can feel this more easily with the cordless drill/ pistol bit combo than the g2 due to gearing. but for the first foot the pistol bit and gen 3 fuel just fly. then it starts getting worked harder and harder as you go down.

The 1600 inches I did was 80 holes into 20-22 inches of ice. I started off by shovelling a good 10-12 inches of snow before drilling each hole. Many of the spots had a double layer with some water in between, which really bogged down the Ion, I actually had to hold it back to prevent it from getting dug in / bogged down from the snow due to shaver blade design. One of the only design flaws I've run into so far. Still put more stain than normal on the auger, so I was surprised it worked that well being that is was so cod and I was out on open ice without shelter.

I've drilled down to bottom out the auger as well in the past, probably 30 inches or so, but only needed about 25-30 holes on that particular outing.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2022, 12:15 PM »
Also would add that having new / sharp blades on the Ion makes a big difference. Hit one patch of dirt with them, and performance is noticeably less. I got mine last winter, managed to go through 2 set of cutters. They still work, but I started off this winter with a new set, and always keep another spare new set on hand.

Will eventually send them off for sharpening when season ends, as I tried doing myself, got them a bit better, but not like new.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:18 PM »
If you drilled that many holes that your battery went dead you  might want to try a different lake.  ;D

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:25 PM »
If you drilled that many holes that your battery went dead you  might want to try a different lake.  ;D
Seriously.  Are people trying to turn the lake into Swiss cheese?   ;)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:28 PM »
Seriously.  Are people trying to turn the lake into Swiss cheese?   ;)

My strategy on most outings. I keep moving on open ice to find active / aggressive predators or schools of jumbo perch.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:35 PM »
80 holes in 20 inches of ice. Man, I'd only have to charge that thing about once every 2, maybe 3 years... 🤔 :roflmao:

One and done man, drill the hole, yank the fish 😁

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:46 PM »
80 holes in 20 inches of ice. Man, I'd only have to charge that thing about once every 2, maybe 3 years... 🤔 :roflmao:

One and done man, drill the hole, yank the fish 😁

Run and gun jigging with a flasher. I can't fish a hole for more than 5 to 10 minutes unless I'm setting a flag line.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2022, 04:58 PM »
I suppose I'm very old school for my age. I sit on structure and wait for the fish.

A charge on a 4ah drill battery lasts me a bunch of trips. One of those Ions would last me an entire season, no problem. We rarely get ice over 10" thick. Only reason I went electric was I have bad shoulders, and they're getting worse with age. Hand drilling even 1 or 2 holes through 8-10 inches bothers them.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a SM or Ion dedicated unit if my drill I use with the Mora ever croaks.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:10 PM »
I have the original Ion, no reverse, 3 ah batteries. I got it in the fall of 2013, this is season 9 with the original batteries. I have two batteries but have never used the second on any given day. I rotate between the two on each outing so they theoretically get about the same use. It's the only auger I use in CT since I got it, good years I fish about 50 days, lousy years only 10-15. I've changed the blades once, not because they needed it but because I had the spares.

I've never burned a battery all the way down. I have had them pause intermittently when they got cold in single digit and below F temps. Always keep the battery in the shanty or your pocket below 20 F. Most holes drilled is tough to quantify. As others mentioned, 30" of ice is more than twice the effort of 15" for the machine because of the slush load. What I know is that I've drilled over 20 holes in 30", and more than 50 in 8-10". Both are below the published performance but way more than I normally need with myself and two buddies. So my perspective is that although I never needed the second battery, it's nice to have it just in case. Be sure to charge after each use.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:28 PM »
I emailed Ion customer support regarding the batteries, he is what they have to say:

"The life of our batteries depend on the care from the user. If they are taken care of properly, they should have no problem lasting for at least 3-5 years. We did discontinue our 6 amp batteries, we have replaced them with our 4 amp batteries. Thank you!"

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:52 PM »
When did ice fishing become a hole drilling competition.
I see people counting holes& inches of ice & complaining about quantity of fish?
Try making 1/2 as much noise & use a little more finesse.
Just because the battery or gas tank is full , doesn't mean ya have to empty it.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Wow, I guess i am looking at the post differently. I am interested in upgrading to a battery-operated auger and with the prices and choices any information is greatly appreciated. We all have different opinions some drill 5 holes and some drill 55 whatever works for you. The great thing is that the holes in the ice refreeze.

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2022, 09:22 AM »
When did ice fishing become a hole drilling competition.
I see people counting holes& inches of ice & complaining about quantity of fish?
Try making 1/2 as much noise & use a little more finesse.
Just because the battery or gas tank is full , doesn't mean ya have to empty it.

Could not agree more.... So many times I see/hear this occur... I'm glad many are switching to electric augers, reducing the noise pollution and the smoke screen. Been many a times a quite lake becomes a rock concert of augers and a smoke scene from a war zone. I go to get away from noise, don't find it enjoyable when my solitude is disrupted by the rock concert.....
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.