The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam vs Clam with Powerdrive  (Read 2517 times)

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Clam vs Clam with Powerdrive
« on: Oct 29, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Anyone have any comparisons or plusses/minuses of the regular Clam plate vs the Clam Plate with Powerdrive? Background: I’ve used a Model 30 8” since the early 90s. Thing is a beast, starts first/second pull every time, and makes short work of any ice. Problem is that I’m getting old and lugging that thing around cutting a ton of holes is exhausting, especially on Champlain where we’re cutting 15 holes/person.

Is the Clam plate with Powerdrive worth the extra bucks? I’m gonna keep drilling 8” holes but ice depth is usually less than 20” nowadays. I have a newish Makita brushless drill and 5A batteries. I don’t see a lot of comparisons, just a couple on YouTube. I get the reason for doing it: slower auger speed and less wear/tear on the drill and battery. Downside I guess is that it takes a bit of extra time per hole.

Thanks.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam vs Clam with Powerdrive
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2021, 08:04 PM »
I’ve an XFD13 which is only 440 in.lbs. of torque I guess. It was a Slickdeal I couldn’t pass up. Was planning on still drilling 8” holes. Might need to rethink things. Thanks!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2021, 08:24 PM »
I’ve an XFD13 which is only 440 in.lbs. of torque I guess. It was a Slickdeal I couldn’t pass up. Was planning on still drilling 8” holes. Might need to rethink things. Thanks!

Its brushless ..thats good ..5ah batteries ..that is also good ...now what to do ...new drill $129 ... Clam Plate $90...Clam Plate w/Gear Box $139 ..8" composite  auger bit ...any where from $119- $230. Now pick your poison . Do you have an 8" hand auger ? if you do you can lessen the blow this season by adapting the hand auger to the Plate .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2021, 09:43 PM »

if you want to drill 8in holes. Do yourself a big favor. Instead of spending a bunch of money on the clam gear box. Simply return you drill...take the money you were going to spend on the gear box for the drill.....and get the Mikita with 1,000in/lbs +

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2021, 11:03 AM »
Well, I took the excellent advice from these posts and had a chat with Santa. Talked him into getting me one of these: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XPH14Z. Should set in that regard.

I also bought a brand new Eskimo hand auger and this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9KRNWB/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_JRW2T8772A6W1FJ3D022?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The distance between the blades and where the drill connects is only about 25”. Do I need an extension? Not really for cutting through more than 2 feet of ice but to make things easier on my back. Any suggestions?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2021, 01:38 PM »
The distance between the blades and where the drill connects is only about 25”. Do I need an extension? Not really for cutting through more than 2 feet of ice but to make things easier on my back. Any suggestions?

This should do the trick

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-auger-extension.html

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2021, 04:00 PM »
This should do the trick

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-auger-extension.html
Thanks. Dumb question: does this work if I don’t use/have the Clam plate?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:17 PM »

Yes. It is an extension for hand augers.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:55 PM »

Yes ..18mm input to an 18mm output ..shop around they jumped up in price $24 now ..

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Finally got some ice in central MA to give the new setup a try. The Eskimo hand auger blades are shaver blades and it kinda walks some when you start. With the side handle firmly against my leg I gotta go real slow to start and keep going slowly as you drill the hole. Go too fast and it bounces around in the hole. Maybe it'll be better in thicker ice. The hammer driver/drill (setting 1 in drill mode (not hammer)) goes WAY too fast and when it goes through I have a hard time pulling the blades back out of the drilled hole.

Drilled 10 or so holes (only 3" of ice) at an outside temp of 9 degrees and the battery was still at full charge. Confirmed when I got home.

Is this typical when using shaver auger blades?

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:31 PM »
Finally got some ice in central MA to give the new setup a try. The Eskimo hand auger blades are shaver blades and it kinda walks some when you start. With the side handle firmly against my leg I gotta go real slow to start and keep going slowly as you drill the hole. Go too fast and it bounces around in the hole. Maybe it'll be better in thicker ice. The hammer driver/drill (setting 1 in drill mode (not hammer)) goes WAY too fast and when it goes through I have a hard time pulling the blades back out of the drilled hole.

Drilled 10 or so holes (only 3" of ice) at an outside temp of 9 degrees and the battery was still at full charge. Confirmed when I got home.

Is this typical when using shaver auger blades?

Its not the shaver blades so much as the lack of a center point..causing the skipping on glare ice  ..also hand augers are notorious with break through issues and grabbing the bottom of the hole due to no centering/break through ring .Its a learning curve ..after some time you will get the hang of it ..Rule one wear ice cleats steady footing is key ..you will have to go slow till the blades grip then off to the races ..till the break through . I tried a 8" SM Mora hand auger with a  Milwaukee 2804-22..nope not for me . An auger with a center point is a must for me ..as well as the Clam Plate.

What is your exact set up from top to bottom again. Clam Plate ? Extension? Your drill/battery combo the right specifications?

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07:37 AM »

Its not the shaver blades so much as the lack of a center point..causing the skipping on glare ice  ..also hand augers are notorious with break through issues and grabbing the bottom of the hole due to no centering/break through ring .Its a learning curve ..after some time you will get the hang of it ..Rule one wear ice cleats steady footing is key ..you will have to go slow till the blades grip then off to the races ..till the break through . I tried a 8" SM Mora hand auger with a  Milwaukee 2804-22..nope not for me . An auger with a center point is a must for me ..as well as the Clam Plate.

What is your exact set up from top to bottom again. Clam Plate ? Extension? Your drill/battery combo the right specifications?

Thanks. I've been using a Model 30 since 1991 so that is my reference point. I own a couple Mora hand augers I used before 1991 and still use from time to time when the ice is thin but 99% of the time for the last 30 yrs I drill holes with a power auger. So I am used to the chipper blade with triangular center point. Reason I am going down the drill route is weight (and my age!).

The drill set up is all 100% brand new: new 8" Eskimo hand auger blade; new Makita XPH14Z Hammer Driver‑Drill w/1,250 in.lb. of torque; drill side handle installed; setting #1, drill mode; new 5 Amp batteries; no clam plate or extension.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2022, 08:27 AM »
mccabedoug..if you stick with your current set up its going to be a learning curve . With more use you will eventually get better ..the break through and hang up is the most annoing ..that really dosent go away ..you more or less live with it get use to it ..The skiping may get less with snow or softer ice ...once again cleats.  The Clam Plate may gve you better control and stance .. as far as no extension ..thats got to be tough ..lot of things going on there..bent over can be awkward ..trying to hold on ..balance..break through ...if you can live with it you can drill better and better faster and faster eventually .. but with a Clam Plate and extension .. your muscle memory and technique from your gas auger experience will kick in ..and in my opinion will be more proficient. Good luck with your set up. On another note if you went with a compostite auger of the same size the blades on your Eskimo should fit .

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2022, 05:23 PM »
You can lessen the breakthrough binding by lifting up a little bit just before it breaks through. That gives the blades a little less bite and they will shave the edges off more as it breaks through. Once you learn that trick, you shouldn't have any issues.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.