Author Topic: LX-7 battery life  (Read 1509 times)

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
LX-7 battery life
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 06:39 PM »
I was fishing today and my unit quit because of low voltage.  Only about 6 hours.  I seldom fish that long, and have never had it completely drain the battery before (except when the original battery failed).  It seems to charge OK, the light turns from red to green overnight, and the battery is on its 2nd full season.

What's  your experience?  I know guys say they are supposed to go 12 hours or so on a charge.  I don't use backlight, and not sure what I could be doing to be drawing the battery down so fast, unless this battery is starting to fail too.

gman51

Re: LX-7 battery life
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 08:18 AM »
put a meter on your battery after about an hour or so after charging. should tell you the condition of your battery. at fully charged RESTED should read 12.8 or higher. if its a 7 or 9 amp you should get more than 6 hrs if your only running the unit and nothing else. don't trust the cheap chargers they come with. plenty of info if you scroll through the pages of electronics.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:35 AM »
sounds like a weak connection or charger or battery, but not sonar related issues.
a lot of us switched from stock chargers to a better one like a battery tender jr.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2019, 09:35 PM »
Yeah, I've got a battery tender junior but haven't changed the polarity of the plug.  I tried plugging it in when I first got it without knowing the polarity was wrong and think I fried the charger but they replaced it for free.  It is supposed to survive this kind of stupidity.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2019, 09:42 AM »
worth using it and then you'll know more about whats going on. could just use the clips to charge it.
make sure your connectors fit snug on the battery also. if loose you can pinch them with pliers a little at a time.

try to top charge the sla battery off season a few times a year.
it sounds like a weak battery tho.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2019, 06:02 AM »
So I got my finder out and charged it up overnight, once with the Marcum charger and once with a Battery Tender Junior.  Then I turned it on and both times it was down to less than 10v in 2 hours.  Ordered a new battery and it came, all is better.  Considered a lithium but only after I had ordered the SLA.  Maybe I'll see the group buy next year in time to get in on it.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2019, 11:33 AM »
thanks for the update!

you could request another group buy. i think the savings was 10 or 15%, but then that's 10$ or 15$ in your pocket. if that savings is not an issue, it is well worth the upgrade.

so you know, matt made available his 12amp battery that has same foot print as standard 9 amp batteries, so you'd have an extra 3amps with you for longer run times at 1/3 of the weight.

89$ 12vdc 12amp
https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery/products/12v-12ah-lifepo4-lithium

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.