Author Topic: Anyone Ready for Utah Ice Fishing?  (Read 3163 times)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone Ready for Utah Ice Fishing?
« on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Is it really to early to start talking ice fishing? Nah.  With Pineview water level dropping it won't be nearly as high as last year so its going to be an interesting hard deck season.  My predictions FWIW  are these 1) easier finding them slabo Crappie and 2) Perch will be larger than the past several seasons.

Now equipment wise.  Thinking about upgrading the Vexilars FL12 any recommendations?  Also whatcha all think of these lights for night fishing on the hard deck any experience with them?  Once the hard deck season starts these items sell out fast so is that my hint to buy early???????  Here's the link:

http://fishinglightsetc.com/superbrite.html

;) :icefish:

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone Ready for Utah Ice Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2012, 06:37 AM »
Well said the heck with it...ordered and received the 24" glo-green light.  Guess we shall see what happens. :) :)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:16 PM »
ME, ME, ME IM READY!!! whats up k2 gals  ;D was very suprised to see a new post here. In my days of hard deckin i have never tried the lights, but like you gals  i have always been curious of how the fish would react  to them ??? with the whole lights drawing in smaller food for bigger fish theory, it sounds like i should have been using them long ago. I really am pretty content with my eagle 642c igps which i have adapted to all fishin situations ( boat, float tube and ice) one unit - multiple applications. Especially the spots i mark on the soft water for the hard deck. structure, structure and structure. I have had cameras in the past and found i just watched the screen way to much  ;)  as for the vexilars, 2 of my fishin buddies have them and would not have anything else on the ice. It is going to be very interesting everywhere ice fishin this year. Have you seen what echo looks like with the dam repairs? I bet you will be able to get three fish on one treble of a Kastmaster jiggin  ::) I am lookin forward to ice so much, as this heat is killin me. We have been doin soso at the view this year, check myfishfinder.com i have a utah boys 2012 thread in the fishing pictures section and a 37in tiger release in the fishing videos section. Also have post on the utah board, but you have to be a member with 3 posts to view the lakes boards which me and my fishin buddy fishon1 have been posting a bit more regularly of our adventures. Im not on BFT or UWN but do enjoy your detailed reports and do lurk around on those sites quite a bit
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Hiya muskyon46...we've been doing good and looking forward to this years hard deck.  Haven't seen Echo but have heard its nothing more than a oversized mud puddle.  PV water level is way down also.  Haven't seen some of those submerged sand bars now showing for 4 plus years.  Will be a very interesting hard deck season on PV without a doubt.  I have to tell when the water level was low was some of the best ice fishing for us anyways.  Hopefully some of those nicer Perch will be around and not the same year class of 7.5-8".  Newton by far last season had some very nice Perch 9.5 over 10".  Have you ice fished Newton?

Ah yes fishon1 if its the same gent we know we've ice fished with him a couple times.  Have him tell you the time I had a nice Crappie on and it fell off right at the hole.  Wasn't about to let that fish escape.  He busted up laughing watching me.

Hopefully we can do a couple night trips on PV and try out that light.  Only issue I forsee is lugging a deep cycle battery with us and them things are HEAVY.  So we shall see possibly night fish when the ice is safe enough for a snowmobile so we don't have to pull a sled with an extra 40-50# battery in it...yikes.

All in all life is going good and starting to research the ice fishing do-dads.  We have Vexilars but just thinking of upgrading as we've had these for like 4 seasons now.  They work great but maybe an upgrade is due.

Take Care and hope to meet cha this hard deck season.   ;) ;)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2012, 08:25 PM »
Bring it on - I'm ready.   ;D

Sounds to me like you're ready for the FL20 Ultra Pac.  I can't say enough good things about my FL20 but it is getting a touch aged.  Todays model has a few more features that I really like, but not enough to upgrade just yet.  The FL22 is a little fancier, but only has a maximum depth of 60 feet.  That could work, but the 120 feet on the FL20 seems a little better suited to our environments.  Either way (and I'm sure there will be those that disagree) NOBODY does it quite as good as Vexilar.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:07 PM »
hi y'all new to this site i am on mff and my buddy musky46 suggested that i should get on this site to so here i am and YES YES YES  i am ready for the hard deck ;D ;D ;D

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:32 PM »
Welcome to the site.  Things pick up around here along about Dec/Jan.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Hiya muskyon46...we've been doing good and looking forward to this years hard deck.  Haven't seen Echo but have heard its nothing more than a oversized mud puddle.  PV water level is way down also.  Haven't seen some of those submerged sand bars now showing for 4 plus years.  Will be a very interesting hard deck season on PV without a doubt.  I have to tell when the water level was low was some of the best ice fishing for us anyways.  Hopefully some of those nicer Perch will be around and not the same year class of 7.5-8".  Newton by far last season had some very nice Perch 9.5 over 10".  Have you ice fished Newton?

Ah yes fishon1 if its the same gent we know we've ice fished with him a couple times.  Have him tell you the time I had a nice Crappie on and it fell off right at the hole.  Wasn't about to let that fish escape.  He busted up laughing watching me.

Hopefully we can do a couple night trips on PV and try out that light.  Only issue I forsee is lugging a deep cycle battery with us and them things are HEAVY.  So we shall see possibly night fish when the ice is safe enough for a snowmobile so we don't have to pull a sled with an extra 40-50# battery in it...yikes.

All in all life is going good and starting to research the ice fishing do-dads.  We have Vexilars but just thinking of upgrading as we've had these for like 4 seasons now.  They work great but maybe an upgrade is due.

Take Care and hope to meet cha this hard deck season.   ;) ;)
hey there k2muskie no i am not the guy you are thinking of but me and musk46 will on the view maybe we will see you up the  ;) ;)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2012, 06:19 PM »
We can't wait for the hard deck now mind you the soft water is lots of fun...but hard deck fishing is soooo much fun also.  Something about not being basically terrorized with rec boaters and also donning like 35# of extra clothes boots probably weigh close to 10#...and trying to get everything zippered and tucked that is its own unique adventure.   ;D

dubob...we've been checking out the various fishing stores and thus far nothing is in stock...hoping like with all other things they start having the items in stock...agree with vexilar hands down...feel like I'm fishing illegal with one but hey they work...we shall see if we do upgrade.  I do know one thing looking at them Eskimo 949 ice tents and THAT WILL BE AN UPGRADE and been waiting to see when they show up in-stock...so much more fishable area based on the data we've reseached.  We have the QF 3 now...anyone have the 949 and want to give us some user feedback? :)

BIG WELCOME fishon11 oh yes hopefully we'll meet up with you and others on the hard deck this year.  I told fish'n partner today while on PV, water level is way low I'm predicting a great ice fish'n year.  About time PV has some larger Perch and when the water level has been low come hard deck season we've done well for some very nice Crappie most over 10" some pushing 12" plus.  Including the Perch I'm thinking being 7.5-8" the last several years well hopefully we see some 9" plus.  We shall see

Our plan is to get all the ice fish'n do-dads now when available and when they show in stock via Al Gores internet stores we frequent most are midwest...as we all know once the hard deck is here the stuff goes fast.

Maybe we should look at a Utah IceShanty get together on the hard deck somewhere we won't rule out Newton as that place treated us well last year took a bit but we got some very nice Perch on the deck.  Couple looked  mini kin to their Walleye brothern close a titch over 12".

Going to be a fun hard deck is my prediction...whats you-alls thoughts on this upcoming hard deck season??? ;) ;)

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2012, 07:20 PM »
i feel the same. i think its going to get cold fast and stay for awhile so that mean we get a lot of ice ok that's what i keep praying for ;D

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2012, 07:22 PM »
i feel the same. i think its going to get cold fast and stay for awhile so that mean we get a lot of ice ok that's what i keep praying for ;D

Yep...I hear ya...only issue is keeping some snow on the shoreline to drag them sleds until the ice is safe for motorized vehicles...snowmobiles, ATVs...going to be an interesting season for sure...again my predictions are its the turn and the fish will be larger at 'da' view...can't wait...

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Aug 21, 2012, 11:32 AM »
bring on the slabs and chubby perch  ;D i just want to be able to register my sled this year so lets get some snow too. Im in for a get together on the hard deck this season
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2012, 04:23 PM »
bring on the slabs and chubby perch  ;D i just want to be able to register my sled this year so lets get some snow too. Im in for a get together on the hard deck this season

Get that sled registered and for sure lets plan a get together come the hard deck.  We too hope there is snow on the shoreline with PV being very low now will need Mama Nature to cooperate especially when dragging equipment to the ice until safe for the snowmobiles but still need that snow so one isn't driving over pavement for a distance at the access points.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2012, 10:25 PM »
Im crossing my fingers for the snow and i will have the sled registered, we will definately see you guys on the ice  ;D
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2012, 06:32 PM »
Hello everyone,
            I don't think i have met any of you out on the ice or at least did not know it, so  hope to meet all of you this year on the hard deck. i cant wait for the ice to get here we have already started to plan our first ice trip of the year. and the ice cant get here fast enough, even my little boy has already started in on me about when we can hit the ice

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Hello everyone, I don't think i have met any of you out on the ice or at least did not know it, so  hope to meet all of you this year on the hard deck. i cant wait for the ice to get here we have already started to plan our first ice trip of the year. and the ice cant get here fast enough, even my little boy has already started in on me about when we can hit the ice

Hey iceman dont think we have met either but as you said we easily could have crossed tracks before. I cant wait for the ice either, we are definately going to have to get a IS get together somewhere this year. Bring on the hard deck  :icefish:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2012, 08:01 PM »
I think that an IS get together would be an awesome way for us to all meet and do some fishing.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2012, 06:44 PM »
o ya lets get that hard deck then we can plan it  :icefish:

Offline Utahman22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Where do you all fish usually? I am up at the berry a lot and flaming gorge for the burbot bash! Never done any uinta stuff, does any one have any good spots they hit up?

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2012, 11:41 AM »
I spend a bit of my time at pineview but do fish the berry, gorge, birchcreek, rockport, echo, east canyon, lost creek, willard, mantua, porcupine, causey and hyrum just to mention a few  ;D I fish chesterfield up in idaho a bit too
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 06, 2012, 12:49 PM »
I fish the uintas alot tell all the other lakes get froze up, usually from first week of nov through xmas  there are so many lakes to hit up there but once they close the roead you need a wheeler or a sled if you go up there before thanksgiving the gate is still open most years    (call kamas ranger station) they will tell you if udot has closed it yet if not you can drive to most all lakes by truck on mirror lake highway Trial lake, lilly, moose horn,mirror lake, whitney res all good lakes and there is a ton more to hit up you can even try  the other side and hit brownie lake, stateline, west marsh lake all good ones. ;D  And what i usually fish once the main freeze hits are berry, fontanelle, mantua, east canyon, newton, birchcreek, pineview usually only night fishing, and i have a great little trout pond on my property that is my personal honey cause im they only one to ever punch a whole all winter :o

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2012, 06:58 PM »
i fish were ever i can that not to far away

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Just saw the forecast for next week... some overnight teens in there... won't be long!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2012, 08:31 PM »
o ya i have been working up in coalville and its been cold in the morning seen a little ice on some sitting water next to the river can not wait :icefish:

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2012, 05:29 AM »
If everyone wants to do a Utah GTG,send me a list of dates and and I will set up a poll for you to decide what is best date for one.Then we can decide a lake the same way.  JT

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Being 100% retired, any time, any place will work for me as long as I'm not gallivanting around the country somewhere.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2012, 09:03 AM »
If everyone wants to do a Utah GTG,send me a list of dates and and I will set up a poll for you to decide what is best date for one.Then we can decide a lake the same way.  JT

sounds good to me

Being 100% retired, any time, any place will work for me as long as I'm not gallivanting around the country somewhere.   ;D

i like your style dubob
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #27 on: Nov 07, 2012, 05:20 PM »
sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Offline icemanwoody

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 08, 2012, 02:22 AM »