Author Topic: Ice thickness???  (Read 8726 times)

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice thickness???
« on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:03 AM »
I think we should all help each other stay safe out there so lets all report ice thickness and conditions so that we can make safe choices in our picks of places to go. I've been in the last week to S.Buck and the ice is thick but there is some flood ice to be aware of same on Minnow but watch for the east side as the ice is only about 12 inches thick. Shining banks is good but north shore has springs. It's that time of year when the ice fishing is at it's best, but with this warm weather I sure don't want to hear of anyone not coming home to their families that bight. So please post any areas of concern.
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline Steve L

• IceShanty Rookie
  • dryfly action=heaven
Re: Ice thickness???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:57 AM »
This seems like a great topic for a permanent thread on the top of the page since this is an ice fishing forum. Click the thread, click the lake, and give or read reports on ice conditions, sounds great to me. Calling lake is in good shape. Lots of ice and not much snow still. The heave at the boat launch is frozen good right now but as the ice gets softer it will be a spot to watch out for.

Offline mistaya

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Was at Carson on Saturday. No problem at all with the thickness. Saw no areas with flood water and there was even a few cars. Caught small trout and a fun day out.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2010, 11:16 AM »
was out at a private lake today close to my houseand the ice was solid, and a good two feet thick. the last two years i have been out there there has been 6 inches of flood water and springs everywhere.  just found it a little odd as all of the other pothole lakes around the area are starting to really open up with the springs.  The ice is still plenty solid across the lake, but the springs have opened up to almost 10 feet now.

other than that, Gull and Sylvan are both solid, there are even some good roads plowed on the north of Sylvan.  Coal Lake is good too from the looks of it, i drove past the other day and it looked like a walmart parking lot, just like most lakes in Alberta now.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2010, 03:22 PM »
It has been a strange year that's for sure. Here in Edson we just had a fellow died when his tractor went through the ice on a pond he has cleared that same weekend for years for a skating party. This year it cost him his life. Last year you could drive all over Fickle lake this year a car, a dog, and several people have fallen through. Earlier at Carson the ice under my feet was 14" and a car drove on about 200 meters from me and the ice under me rose and dropped a good 8" and it scared the heck out of me. At fairfax I cut several holes and when I got out towards the middle the ice was only 4 " thick. I agree this thread should stay near the top for the rest of the season it could save a life...maybe yours!
Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing.
Clark Gable

Offline IceAnvil

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Gone Fishing"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Made it a Sticky..

~Gone Fishing~

Offline fishystang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2010, 10:53 PM »
badger was good last weekend, about 27". but big mac has open spots.
Anyone know what crawling is like?

Also everyone remember stay away from bridges and any concrete structures, the heat from the concrete melts the ice much faster.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2010, 04:08 AM »
Good point about structures like bridges, also remember that the north shore of lakes usually start melting faster due to the angle of the sun.
Clark Gable

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can i claim the tackle shop owner as a dependent?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2010, 09:45 PM »
On the north end of Sylvan tonight, lots of water coming onto the lake but the ice is plenty thick yet................... ..

Offline costa20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:50 PM »
what about wabuman anybody know how the ice is there
Ive landed more fish than youve lied about

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2010, 11:16 PM »
Travers Reservoir /Littlebow - Ice thickness is good as long as the surface does not look like snow. One hole  in the non white looking ice was ~18" , but 15 ft away where the surface ice was white like snow the ice was only 6-8" thick.
I suspect that this may be the last decent weekend out there as the edges are getting soft.

Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.
      It's more important than that.

Offline Steve L

• IceShanty Rookie
  • dryfly action=heaven
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2010, 09:37 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Francis lake    Cold Lake.

Francis was good yesterday, a little water in the afternoon. Gravel road in was worst than the ice. Talked to a friend at Cold lake this morning and ice there is also still real good.

Offline jaystev

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 'morning sunshine!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Isle ice was 15-20 inches every where i went...Fishing was great! Ive never had action like yesterday there before. Caught em all found perch wally and a couple pike as well :thumbsup:

Offline Whitetail194

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Was at the north end of Gull today 2 feet of ice just starting to rot at the bottom of the hole some flood water and not as clear as 2 weeks ago.

Offline mistaya

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2010, 11:02 PM »
Just got in from Carson. No issues at all driving on the lake. Dont need 4X4 at all and we saw a few cars again today. Tried about 5 areas and the ice is  thick. Approx 4 inches of slushy snow on top and easy to drive through. Saw no flood water also. Fishing was ok . Hard to find the bigger fish. Adios

Offline snsn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:28 AM »
At this rate it will be soft water season sooner than later!  Can't wait LOL!

S

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:48 AM »
N Buck Mar/ 07 Ice is good,about 30" lots of flood water but not bad. Prov campground boat launch is starting to melt might have two weeks access if weather permits. If it stays warm might not have access there.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline lledra66

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Roush Fenway
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Lesser Slave Lake has 30+ inches still very safe and easy to get on and off also no flood water.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2010, 03:59 PM »
A vehicle broke through on Minnow lake but he was driving off the beaten path, something I try to not do as I always figure if it supported the first vehicle it will likely support mine. avoid Pressure ridges especially this time of year.
Clark Gable

Offline matt_aid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2010, 09:24 PM »
I was up at Fawcet last weekend. 

Lots of ice, and fish!

Offline Dirty Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2010, 11:02 PM »
I was up at Fawcet last weekend. 

Lots of ice, and fish!
Any word on flood water at Tobin???

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2010, 07:37 PM »
I was at gull lake today and at Pine lake yesterday.. both lakes have good ice. there was a little surface water from the melting snow on gull, but otherwise ice is still very good 16-24 "
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2010, 02:39 AM »
Hittin Buffalo and Pine maybe on Sunday with my brother.  How'd ya make out on pine yesterday shackless?  Let ya know if there are any changes in the thickness when I'm back
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline shackless

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2010, 08:27 AM »
How'd ya make out on pine yesterday

WaS at Pine on Thursday.. i had a few perch bites, but I am not very good at setting the hook on the litltle blighters.The locals were telling me that they are quite small there.
Having never been at the lake before, I wasn't sure where to go, I was just off the boat launch  on the north side.

I sure hope you have MUCH better luck than I did.

- Shackless
Fishing
           It's not life and death.

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2010, 11:38 PM »
I was at Carson and Iosegun toaday and the ice is really good 3-4 ft and almost no snow, fishin was good too!
Clark Gable

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Went To Isle on Sunday and the ice where we were (the west end) was only about a foot thick and it was not good ice. It was super easy to auger and was white all the way down no good clear blue ice. I would not drive on it again.
Clark Gable

Offline mistaya

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Was at Joussard Saturday. Need an extension. Without it the auger was getting stuck. Tons of ice and good paths for driving

Also hit Carson on Sunday. Lots of ice but the ice is making those late season loud cracking sounds. Kind of creepy. No extension needed. Everyone be careful out there and stay on the ice trails..

Offline ULTRAlite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2010, 05:05 PM »
About 22" on Pine Lake still... on Sunday there was still a half dozen or more trucks running around on the lake. The access onto the lake was open a little and we didn't risk it in our car... we walked on.

And don't forget your cleats if your going out there... super slippery :)
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/cory_r_t/ablogo1xf11-1.gif[/img]     

VIDEO >> The 2010 Season Begins - EARLY ICE SESSION

Offline TheSylvanSpinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can i claim the tackle shop owner as a dependent?
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2010, 10:35 PM »
Main access to Sylvan in the marina by the lighthouse was barraceded off tonight............... ..

Offline #1fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Can anyone report on the ice conditions at Lesser slave lake?
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.