Author Topic: Unusual TipUp  (Read 10123 times)

Offline triple threat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Unusual TipUp
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:15 PM »
we fish some of our cross legged traps outside the hole with the spool out of the water and never had a problem with line freezing on the spool. the only time the line will freeze is if the hole starts to freeze but an ice hole insulator helps the problem but does not solve it all the way. you could also use the ht coated line that you would use on win lass tip ups.the trap looks funny but might be a good trap for fishing shallow water like under 4ft for rainbows in the early season when the ice is thin and you dont want the spool in the water. i personally cant knock a trap until I put my hands on it and try it. but you guys are right it does look like  crapter for the ice.

Offline thickice2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:58 PM »
Hello, I am a new member ( approx. 2 hours ago)?!?! Am posting my first post/question?   HAVE any of you heard of and  or tried the newer style AUTOMATIC FISHERMAN  TIP UP, they are made here in wisconsin and seem to be quite a package, rod/reel tip up and all . Thanks for any feedback, By the way I received both the smaller unit and the larger unit for a gift and am loooking forword to trying them out here in wisconsin, DOOR COUNTY area.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Hello, I am a new member ( approx. 2 hours ago)?!?! Am posting my first post/question?   HAVE any of you heard of and  or tried the newer style AUTOMATIC FISHERMAN  TIP UP, they are made here in wisconsin and seem to be quite a package, rod/reel tip up and all . Thanks for any feedback, By the way I received both the smaller unit and the larger unit for a gift and am loooking forword to trying them out here in wisconsin, DOOR COUNTY area.
Hi Thickice, welcome to Ice Shanty!  Very good question, and I think you must be referring to a thing called "The Slammer"
I've never used one, but they look very interesting.  Check out this link and see if it's what you're thinking of!
http://hometown.aol.com/slamcoinc/index.html
Again, welcome to IS, and I think you'll find just about everyone here is willing to share their knowledge and experience to fellow ice anglers!  Good luck!   :thumbsup:
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:49 AM »
I bought a couple of the jigging style tipups that loaderguy posted a picture of. I saw them on ebay and the price was right so I thought I would try them. I used some of the vinyl coated tipup line to eliminate the line freezing problem and I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. They work rather well. I certainly would never use them exclusively. I am a Heritage Laker convert and they are my main arsenal.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #34 on: Mar 04, 2006, 06:14 PM »
Yeah my two cents, junk! I think the best use was the cook top idea!!!!
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.