Author Topic: Big Lakers  (Read 6657 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Big Lakers
« on: Feb 02, 2003, 10:40 AM »
does anyone have any tips on rigging, settin, baiting, anything to do with catching big lake trout i am talkin over 8 pounds i am having no trouble catching the small ones.
~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 04:03 PM »
I have a lot of luck using dead cisco in the 8-15 inch range.Fished right on the bottom.I put a #6 treble in the back of the head.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:18 PM »
Put in more time, and fish more isolated areas of a lake, and work hard. There's nothing else you really can do but find a good spot and work hard. You'll probably catch 50 under 8 pounds for everyone over it in many of the lakes around here.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:21 PM »
The largest mackinaw I ever hooked was a 30 plus pounder on my HT windlass tip up. I had the same tube jig baited with cutbait on the tip up that I did on my jig rods.
Use either tubes or whole dead baitfish in the 4 - 8" range. Make sure you have a 500 foot spool as you will appreciate having the extra capacity when a giant laker goes on numerous screaming runs.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:23 PM »
for bait, use the largest natural forage in the lake you are fishing in.

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:31 PM »
We use 12-16 inch tullibees for bait on quick strike rigs laid right on the bottom. We have caught several 40+ inchers this way. One even had a 22 inch laker sticking out of its mouth, can't figure out where it was going to put with another 15 inch tullibee. ;D ;D As for areas look for humps, saddles and fingers topping of at 50-70 ft in 100ft+ water.

Jeremy

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:11 PM »
I catch a perch in the 6 to 7 inch range skin it and lay it on bottom.  This usually helps keep the smaller fish away.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2006, 07:00 AM »
We use 12-16 inch tullibees for bait on quick strike rigs laid right on the bottom. We have caught several 40+ inchers this way. One even had a 22 inch laker sticking out of its mouth, can't figure out where it was going to put with another 15 inch tullibee. ;D ;D As for areas look for humps, saddles and fingers topping of at 50-70 ft in 100ft+ water.

Jeremy
MAKI-  What are quick strike rigs?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2006, 02:32 AM »
MAKI-  What are quick strike rigs?

Quick strike rigs are a pair of treble hooks on a leader. You slip the first one on the line and it slides freely. Then you tie another one on the end of the line. Use pretty small trebles, usually #4 at the biggest and usually #8 is what I employ when using baits in the 4 - 8" range. Placing the trailing treble around the tail section, and the leading treble near the head section. Bury one point on each treble and leave the other two exposed.
Quick strike rigs are named because when the fish has the bait and is taking line, you set then and don't wait for them to swallow. It is uncommon to miss a fish on the hookset if they have the bait and deep hooking is uncommon.
There is no other way to go when employing tip ups or large dead or livebaits.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:17 AM »
   Thanks,I'll try that on ciscoes this year.I use some pretty big baits.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2006, 05:47 PM »
Quick strike rigs are a pair of treble hooks on a leader. You slip the first one on the line and it slides freely. Then you tie another one on the end of the line. Use pretty small trebles, usually #4 at the biggest and usually #8 is what I employ when using baits in the 4 - 8" range. Placing the trailing treble around the tail section, and the leading treble near the head section. Bury one point on each treble and leave the other two exposed.
Quick strike rigs are named because when the fish has the bait and is taking line, you set then and don't wait for them to swallow. It is uncommon to miss a fish on the hookset if they have the bait and deep hooking is uncommon.
There is no other way to go when employing tip ups or large dead or livebaits.

Here is the link on building Quick Strikes, they are easy to build and you can make them however you like, trebles or single hooks or combination. I have made a bunch both ways so I can use them for pike, lakers or burbot. Likke most people I am using fluorocarbon line in the 30 to 50 lb. range.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=25525.0 :tipup:

FF

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2006, 04:32 PM »
We tried single hooks on quick strike rigs a couple of times and had very poor success. IMO I would stick with trebles were legal.

Jeremy

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2006, 05:15 AM »
Where I fish we catch Lakers in the mid teens off of the main lake channels in 12 to 20 foot of water. We never fish deep in the winter but we are not targeting lakers specifically. We catch plenty of them though just the same. I would not argue with the fact we might catch more if we fished deeper but I dont because I am mainly interested in Northerns and Walleyes. The Lakers are just a bonus. I use a live, 6 to 8 inch sucker minnow, shiner or creek chub. I have no preference, just what I ghrab out of the bait bucket. Usually run them on a quick strike rig with trebles using titanium wire leader.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I have a lot of luck using dead cisco in the 8-15 inch range.Fished right on the bottom.I put a #6 treble in the back of the head.

were can i find ciscos?

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:33 AM »
Ciscoes can be hard to find. Only deep well oxygenated lakes have them.  They spawn in late december early January.

Offline Mogwhy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you can't find them keep drilling!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2006, 10:39 AM »
During the spawn you can find them on gravel bottom in 10-20 feet of water.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:57 AM »
  You fish them with the same set up you would use for perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.