Author Topic: Snow Dog Track Sled  (Read 112506 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow Dog Track Sled
« Reply #150 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Thanks Gunflint. I am waiting to hear from them when I can buy this new reverse set up and what it will cost. From talking with a bunch of members and a few dealers I guess there was only a very limited supply of the top B13MER model with the factory reverse and I only talked with one dealer who had and sold one. Real sweet to see they moved it out to the handle bars.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Mar 17, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Gam,

See if we get a discount if we buy 2.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #152 on: Mar 17, 2018, 10:18 AM »
Gam,

See if we get a discount if we buy 2.

I will send you a PM when I get the info.

Gam

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Mar 17, 2018, 06:48 PM »
I'm sold on one, I'm all in when the new ones with the handlebar mounted reverse arrive.  :thumbsup: One thing I'm not doing is using the machine as a pusher, what a wreck if the lead sled gets hung up.  :'(

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Mar 17, 2018, 08:45 PM »
I'm sold on one, I'm all in when the new ones with the handlebar mounted reverse arrive.  :thumbsup: One thing I'm not doing is using the machine as a pusher, what a wreck if the lead sled gets hung up.  :'(

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it!

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #155 on: Mar 19, 2018, 07:08 AM »
I don't think I would like the front-seat either, but here is a video from their trade show showing off the new front-seat and you can see the rigid cowling as well. this starts around 22 minutes into the video. I don't see many advantages to driving from the front for doing the hauling for ice fishing sleds.

Prime-Time design

DIY design

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I really like letting the Snowdog pull me and all the stuff behind me. It is like the difference between front wheel drive and rear wheel drive plus I have complete control if I need to lift the front to power through deep snow or slush. My one and only complaint is the lack of reverse on my dog and in all honesty reverse would only ever be used for backing off the trailer or backing out of a stuck spot when you just can't go forward such as a hidden tree or something like a stump under the snow. I could see the front attachment being useful if you had a small driveway and attached a plow.

Gam

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #157 on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:50 AM »
I really like the Snowdog, but I think they'll hurt their cause with the front seat setup. The videos from Russia remind me of the US 50 years ago, none of the nanny state safety rules, which is really cool. Somebody will catch a foot under the track or get runover in a pileup and although it is/was the drivers fault, the US safety regulators will be all over Snowdog. Mandatory helmets, registration, and insurance coming soon to a state near you.   :(

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #158 on: Mar 19, 2018, 09:39 AM »
It looks much less safe and more like a snowmobile (licenses, insurance, etc.). 

IMO they won't bring the front-seat option/model to the USA.

The standard rear configuration resembles a tracked snowblower more than a snowmobile - and skirts the problem of regulations. I don't need helmets or licenses to drive my snowblower (or tow something behind it).
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #159 on: Mar 19, 2018, 09:48 AM »
I really like the Snowdog, but I think they'll hurt their cause with the front seat setup. The videos from Russia remind me of the US 50 years ago, none of the nanny state safety rules, which is really cool. Somebody will catch a foot under the track or get runover in a pileup and although it is/was the drivers fault, the US safety regulators will be all over Snowdog. Mandatory helmets, registration, and insurance coming soon to a state near you.   :(

Experience proves a fool can get hurt on a pedal tricycle. Based on what I see in the videos with front mounted seats I would agree the likelihood of injury is highly increased. From my own experience this season with my Snowdog I found it was very safe while standing behind the machine in the sled. On some snow it was fabulous and super stable in every way and even if I did get tossed out the machine would be well out of the way. On bare ice it was quite different. My dog with the screw studs in the track was perfect however the sled behind sure could fishtail out of control and I don't know if the steel runners they sell for the sled would make that much difference. Carbide runners like used on snowmobile skis might be the best option. I just went much slower on bare ice but it would not be a bad idea to wear a helmet just in case you do take a tumble, ice is real hard on the head. So far here where I am there are no regulations that I know of and in speaking with a few in the field of law enforcement and ECOs no such regulations are yet planned. I would bet as these machines gain in popularity my state of NY will come up with some way to get their piece of pie in the form of fees but none so far.

I have seen with my own eyes some wild crashes on the ice with both snowmobiles and ATVs and in both cases it was operator error or just plain stupidity like doing donuts and hitting a patch of snow while sliding sideways. I had one of my disc type tip ups run over by a yahoo on a snowmobile blasting by at supersonic speed and good thing I never caught him. He saw it at the last minute but could not avoid it and kept going too far for me to follow on foot.

I did just buy a pretty cool old Gravely 2 wheel sit down sulky I plan to rig for summer driving and towing my kayak, just need to fabricate the hitch hook up and a rear connector.

Gam

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Mar 19, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Set up time is crazy. then after a long day of fishing, take it all down again, possibly in the dark? No thanks

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #161 on: Mar 19, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Agreed, a helmet with a visor would be an asset. Was out once in a bit of a blow, glasses got covered, snow melting in my stache, hard slugging along.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #162 on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Agreed, a helmet with a visor would be an asset. Was out once in a bit of a blow, glasses got covered, snow melting in my stache, hard slugging along.

Ha Ha, Been there for sure. Drove about a mile and a half to the south shore and fished most of the day. Around 3 PM the winds picked up to about 30 MPH straight out of the north. I pulled up and headed back right into the wind and blowing snow. Eyeglasses iced over, beard and mustache looked like a snowman and I could only poke along real slow between stops and goes to clear my glasses. All the while I had my full face helmet with shield back in the truck. For next season I plan to mount a box up front that will hold my helmet and some other stuff.

Gam

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Here is the Snowdog ready for summer time duty. Just have to fashion a tow hook to the sulky for dragging my kayak on wheels.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #164 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Very cool!

I just took mine on a 10 mile trek to get the feel for it before I head out to a remote lake for a camp-over in my pop-up this weekend. Hope yo collect some pictures of my mule train over the ice.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Mar 22, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Very cool!

I just took mine on a 10 mile trek to get the feel for it before I head out to a remote lake for a camp-over in my pop-up this weekend. Hope yo collect some pictures of my mule train over the ice.

After I got the sulky all set up which works great on the road out front I put the sled back on to go play out in the field. We have about a foot of very heavy and wet snow and I had to see how the dog would do it that crap. What a complete disaster. The dog had plenty of traction and powered right through everywhere I pointed it but I laid it over a good half dozen times. Some of the snow is harder packed in places where it drifted and real soft in other places where the sun hit it. The minute I hit a soft spot where it sunk on one side over it went. Going down the old wood roads was no problem at all but I learned real quick to stay out of the open field. Going through high snow banks was a blast as long as I hit them straight on at a 90 degree angle. Some of the banks are well over 3 feet and the sled wants to toss you out on the down side but it is manageable once you get the feel. If I had to run through wide open fields with uneven ground and snow all the time I would be fashioning some sort of outrigger skis on each side so it was not so tippy. As long as I could keep it upright it had no problem going through deep banks and down pressure on the bars lifts the front and it digs right in and powers right through. I don't have much experience on snowmobiles but out in my 100 acre field I bet they would be in all sorts of trouble until the trail was packed down or groomed.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #166 on: Mar 22, 2018, 05:28 PM »
I understand. But that was only playing...

The Dog is a bit top heavy and cornering at high speeds isn't recommended. Which is fine because it does exactly what I bought it for. I was not looking for an inexpensive snowmobile. The Dog meets my needs better, and for less.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Mar 25, 2018, 04:45 PM »
My trusty Snowdog hauled 4 full sleds:
- me
- my friend (riding in the rear sled)
- a large Clam 6 person hub shanty
- food for 3 days
- 2 cots and bedding
- heater
- 2ea 20lb propane
- 5 gal gas
- ice fishing gear, minnows, etc.

Had to be 1,200+ pounds. Went several miles to remote lake. The Dog is awesome.

We cooked on the Big Buddy heater and mostly made freeze dried meals with hot water.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #168 on: Mar 25, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Nice pics and great report. Perfect snow condition for the dog and you could easily add another sled for the kitchen gear and cook tent and it wouldn't know it was there.

BTW, Where's the fish???

Wish I still had ice here.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #169 on: Mar 25, 2018, 05:32 PM »
I actually catch more fish in lakes that are closer to my cabin and that I know well. We had whitefish, burbot and lake trout. This was a nice one. I had to go through more than 3 feet of ice.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #170 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Video does not play.....Says it's unavailable !!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Looks like a heck of an expedition. Great to have you share the experience.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:47 AM »
We still have plenty of safe ice in Vermont so I'm still fishing a couple times per week.  We've also received more than two feet of snow from the last few Nor'easters.  Accordingly, I've been able test the Snowdog's capabilities in some pretty tough situations.

If you recall from my March 10th post, I had one trip where the Snowdog was unimpressive.  I now believe that conditions were unique that day.  Every trip since, regardless of snow depth or slush, has been a breeze. 

So far, the unit has floated over the slush.  In fact, given the generous flotation, I don't think the slush has even made contact with the track.  I've yet to experience any build up. 
But, once I step on to the ice, my feet punch right through into the soup.  Glad I received my Mickey Mouse Boots the other day!!

Overall, I'm very happy with the unit.  The handling still requires diligence, but, with experience and a little foresight, it'll power through most anything.

I did miss a turn the other day (I approached the access from a really odd angle) and buried it in the snowbank.  I quickly unhooked the sleds, flipped the reverse lever, and backed the 'dog right out.  Once I slapped the hitch back on, I was back in business.  Barely missed a beat.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Mar 27, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Sorry, the video should play now.

I took the dog on a much easier ride yesterday. I just hauled my one-man Clam Blazer to the edge of the Boundary Waters and then trudged it over the portage by foot to the lake. Far more fish, nearly non-stop action. I even had four trout on the screen at one time.

Here is an interesting scene from the camera. The fish high in the water column did not register on the fish finder.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bioguide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Apr 07, 2018, 03:27 PM »
I test road and brought home a standard model 13 hp with reverse this past week. Then headed north to Indian Lake for a day trip ride. Winter is still holding on strong (April 6, 2018) with at least 10" of ice, shore to shore, on the southern end.

What fun...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Apr 07, 2018, 05:28 PM »
You won't regret it.

It is also "multi-season" as this video demonstrates.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #176 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:05 AM »
I test road and brought home a standard model 13 hp with reverse this past week. Then headed north to Indian Lake for a day trip ride. Winter is still holding on strong (April 6, 2018) with at least 10" of ice, shore to shore, on the southern end.

What fun...

Nice to see another NYer with a Snowdog. I asked this of Gunflint and now have to ask you regarding the reverse option. First, is your machine the original style with reverse located up front or the newer style with the button on the handle bars?

I am trying to determine what it will take to add reverse to my B13 ME. I was in direct contact with Snowdog about this but it seems they no longer have any interest in helping me. Not sure if all the recent Russian political issues have anything to do with it but they quit responding to my emails right after they featured me on their web site.

I suspect the reverse gear mechanism is a fairly standard apparatus that is probably on many snowmobiles so I might be able to source the parts and do the upgrade myself. Down here in SE NY there was only one dealer and he could not find a machine with reverse for me back in November when I bought mine. I could easily add it myself if I could get the info about the part I need, Manufacturer, part numbers. I know the clutch part on mine and probably all of the 13 HP models was made by Kaliningrad Motor factory and is part number BM500STANDJB006288. The reverse is on the same shaft opposite from the clutch belt and had to be switched from under the front cover. The newer style comes with the actuator mounted on the bars so you don't need to get off to switch it. I hope one of you can get me some numbers and the info I need.

Gam

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #177 on: Apr 09, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Gam,

Keep me posted on what you find. Thanks!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #178 on: Apr 09, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Gam,

Keep me posted on what you find. Thanks!

I will but something tells me it is not the easy upgrade I expected it to be. Seems like it should just be adding a reversing box on the opposite side of the shaft from the belt clutch up front and a lever or cable to switch it to spin backwards. Apparently some snowmobiles get reverse by actually spinning the engine itself in reverse rotation while others have a reversing gear box attached to the clutch shaft. I have worked on a lot of motorcycles over the years but never on a snowmobile or an ATV in or around the transmission or clutch mechanism other than replacing a belt. I think we need to start hammering on Snowdog and the dealers to get us an option to upgrade our machines. Look at it this way, the 13 HP model with reverse was just $200 more and I would have paid that in a heart beat if the dealer could have found a B13 MER model for me. None and I do mean NONE were available at the time when I got mine. I think the initial shipment of dogs to the states consisted of a lot of the compact models and some of the standard 13 HP models with only a very limited number of the MER models with reverse. It only takes a time or two of yanking this thing backwards either out of a stuck condition or around on a trailer or in the shop to understand just how important the reverse really is. Back when I was 30 it would not bother me at all dragging 300 pounds but at 66 it sucks if I even can do it. Harbor Freight sells a small ATV winch for $50 that might be the alternative and just carry a kayak/canoe anchor in case you need to drill a hole to pull you backwards.

Gam

Offline SnowDog company

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #179 on: Apr 10, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Hello, folks!

We're still continuing the development of the reverse kit, its release was delayed until the Fall. Sorry for that, but we're striving to make the product as good as theoretically possible.
Best regards!
SnowDog client department

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.