The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ridgid battery  (Read 3585 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ridgid battery
« on: Oct 24, 2021, 05:53 PM »
hey all been looking around for a 18v 9 amp/hr ridgid octane battery for a while.  anyone have an extra one they would be willing to part with and/or know where a guy would be able to buy one somewhere.  i have looked high and low and can't come up with one.  feel free to private message me also.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ridgid battery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2021, 10:46 AM »
I did see a couple on ebay, looked high priced. Sure love my Octane drill with the 9amp battery. Not sure what will happen to it with Ridged not making anything to replace it now?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2021, 08:27 PM »
The batteries from their new line are compatible.  The 9ah is dead and gone(along with the big boy drill) and replaced by an 8ah I believe.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2022, 02:13 PM »
I thought a 6 was the biggest, hope your right.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2022, 02:20 PM »
Stupid question but for those of us who have the original Octane and 9AH Battery is the lifetime warranty null and void now?   

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2022, 02:22 PM »
Good question i have 2 of the 9ah octane batteries and octane drill.all are registered for lsa.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2022, 02:33 PM »
I am right there with you Dr. Speckler.  If I ever have problems I don't want a lesser drill or bat. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2022, 03:10 PM »
Stupid question but for those of us who have the original Octane and 9AH Battery is the lifetime warranty null and void now?

From some tool groups, the word is that the LSA is still valid and they will replace it with the 6.0 MAX battery. But once you get your replacement there is no lifetime warranty on it, just 3 year.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:17 PM »
From some tool groups, the word is that the LSA is still valid and they will replace it with the 6.0 MAX battery. But once you get your replacement there is no lifetime warranty on it, just 3 year.
Dang well better not be true!  :nono:  Talk about a bait and switch!  :%$#!:  I would think that could constitute some kind of class-action lawsuit or sumpthin'...  ::)
Tight lines!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2022, 09:58 PM »
Dang well better not be true!  :nono:  Talk about a bait and switch!  :%$#!:  I would think that could constitute some kind of class-action lawsuit or sumpthin'...  ::)

They got ya in the wording unfortunately. LSA means lifetime of the product line, not your lifetime. So technically since the octane line is dead they dont even have to honor warranty on it.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2022, 04:13 AM »
I have been in the drill game since Icemaster came out with the first adapter. I have also been buying ridgid since my first auger. I am now on my third drill (octane) with two 9ah batteries. If ridgid tries to give me a 800 inch/lbs and 6 ah batteries when the time comes, it will be the last product I buy from them. I will definitely make the switch to Milwaukee and I am sure all octane users will, as well. Sad as I have been a big ridgid advocate.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2022, 05:53 AM »
X on that pikeking
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2022, 05:56 AM »
I could have bought a  Milwaukee but went with ridgids lifetime warranty but if its no good than im going Milwaukee fuel for sure.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:55 AM »
Not sure what you guys want them to do? Give you a drill they no longer make? Or battery they no longer make? That's the risk you take when you buy "house brands". You should be thankful they didnt change the battery shape and your old gen tools are still usable.

I can assure you DeWalt and Milwaukee will not remove their big batteries or high torque drills from the lineup.  ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2022, 10:47 PM »
My Octane works fine and I have a Fuel which is great too but wouldn't you think Lowe's would have some assurance, control or leverage over the manufacture of the Rigid.  Lowe's is a pretty big "House"

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2022, 11:44 PM »
We'll most likely never know why, but it probably just wasn't profitable.  The initial combo deal that they had on them was a steal but at normal price I don't recall them being much cheaper than the Milwaukee if at all.  Hell I think the 9Ah batteries alone were over $150 a piece.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:55 AM »
My Octane works fine and I have a Fuel which is great too but wouldn't you think Lowe's would have some assurance, control or leverage over the manufacture of the Rigid.  Lowe's is a pretty big "House"

Lowes has kobalt 24v line.

Home depot is the retailer for ridgid and ryobi. Ryobi has been and always will be the leader of the "house brand" tools. They have such a hold on the everyday home user that they are never going away. Ridgid was kind of stuck behind ryobi, but at Milwaukee/dewalt prices. Every time i was at HD the ridgid octane drill cost more than the DeWalt drills across the aisle, and ryobis hammer drill was almost half the price right next to it. Kind of a no brainer why it didnt sell well.

The octane battery was very expensive i agree, but have you seen the price of m18 batteries?? Yikes. I was hoping for a good black friday sale this year so i could get the 8ah and 12ah, but they stayed normal price at $200 and $250.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:00 AM »
Ryobi the  leader of "house brand" tools?? I think not. Not even close.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:04 AM »

Lowes has kobalt 24v line.

Home depot is the retailer for ridgid and ryobi. Ryobi has been and always will be the leader of the "house brand" tools. They have such a hold on the everyday home user that they are never going away. Ridgid was kind of stuck behind ryobi, but at Milwaukee/dewalt prices. Every time i was at HD the ridgid octane drill cost more than the DeWalt drills across the aisle, and ryobis hammer drill was almost half the price right next to it. Kind of a no brainer why it didnt sell well.

The octane battery was very expensive i agree, but have you seen the price of m18 batteries?? Yikes. I was hoping for a good black friday sale this year so i could get the 8ah and 12ah, but they stayed normal price at $200 and $250.

So true ..the Ridgid did not have a kit that had the proper ah battery for our purposes as an ice angler ..SOLD Separately..and never ever ever had a deal ..as far as battery deals from Milwaukee and Dewalt ..think spring for the high ah battery sales or starter kits with sales on the OPE equiptment .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:46 AM »
Ryobi the  leader of "house brand" tools?? I think not. Not even close.

Id bet a lot of money there are more ryobi tools sold each year than all the other house brands added together.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:53 AM »
Id bet a lot of money there are more ryobi tools sold each year than all the other house brands added together.

Ryobi fills a niche for DIY ..with lots of tools.. But they do stay in there lane ..they dont pretend to be anything more then what they are.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:11 AM »
Not according to my neighbor, who is mgr of the Home Depot's here, and one fishing buddy who is mgr of the tool dept at both Menard's in town...from their store sales data....just a tidbit for y'all:

From Tool World publication:

(sic)

Top 10 Selling Power Tool Brands in the World 2020

Which is the best power tool brand? The following is a list of the top power tool brands ranked by a combination of revenue and brand value.

Rank
Power Tool Brand
Revenue (USD billions)

Headquarters

1   Bosch   91.66   Gerlingen, Germany
2   DeWalt   5.37   Towson, Maryland, USA
3   Makita   2.19   Anjo, Aichi, Japan
4   Milwaukee   3.7   Brookfield, Wisconsin, USA
5   Black & Decker   11.41   Towson, Maryland, USA
6   Hitachi   90.6   Tokyo, Japan
7   Craftsman   0.2   Chicago, Illinois, USA
8   Ryobi   2.43   Hiroshima, Japan
9   Stihl   4.41   Waiblingen, Germany
10   Techtronic Industries   7.7   Hong Kong

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:19 AM »
Holy crap.real data!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Profits and overall company value mean nothing in this conversation, sales volume of power tools is what we are talking about.

So you are telling me your neighbor who is the manager at home depot says they sell more ridgid than ryobi?  ::)

Menards doesnt even sell ryobi, how would he know, and again you are saying Masterforce outsells ryobi  ???

My experience, almost everyone I know that a regular homeowner and doesn't have tools for a specific purpose has ryobi for their home DIY use. And everyone I know that is a contractor, mechanic, or ice fishermen have dewalt, bosch, or milwaukee tools. One old guy that I duck hunt with has craftsman, that's the only person I can think of. I do not even know anyone that has ridgid tools, only time I ever hear about them is this forum and a tool group I am in that has a small group of guys who use them for interior finish work mostly.

That brings me to a really curious thought. You guys that use them for your ice auger, did you use Ridgid before or did you hear about the octane drill on here and purchase it as your first/only ridgid tool?

EYECONICFISHING

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:31 AM »
I will admit i own no other ridgid tools but got a great deal on the octane and 9ah battery,tool brand didnt tempt me the lifetime warranty on tool and battery did.will not buy another.i run mostly dewalt and Milwaukee but didnt have a drill that would run a 8" auger.just wall hangers.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:32 AM »
My, more expert alleged facts. Reread the REVENUE post.  And of course Menand's doesn't sell Ryobi; a good manager needs to know the ranking and competitions of all brands. You think they're stuck carrying a few lines of tools? Amazing you know all about our stores here. Twisting words doesn't back up your facts in the least. Facts are best. I bet those guys have shoes older than you. Called experience.  And it looks like you even refute a national tool magazine, too. Goodness!  But, continue on with and enjoy your beliefs.
You're certainly entitled to whatever you want to believe, but just don't push it on everyone else. Present true facts and let THEM make up their mind.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2022, 11:34 AM »
The debate here was "house brand" was it not?  Because there's only one of those on that list and it's Ryobi.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2022, 12:06 PM »
My, more expert alleged facts. Reread the REVENUE post.  And of course Menand's doesn't sell Ryobi; a good manager needs to know the ranking and competitions of all brands. You think they're stuck carrying a few lines of tools? Amazing you know all about our stores here. Twisting words doesn't back up your facts in the least. Facts are best. I bet those guys have shoes older than you. Called experience.  And it looks like you even refute a national tool magazine, too. Goodness!  But, continue on with and enjoy your beliefs.
You're certainly entitled to whatever you want to believe, but just don't push it on everyone else. Present true facts and let THEM make up their mind.

What facts?

What your alleged friends say?

Your company value list that shows no house brands other than Ryobi?

Or your opinions?

I am absolutely confused why you think a menards tool section manager thinks he knows how many ryobi tools home depot sells as a company? That thought alone is absolutely hilarious to me, nothing personal.

Now we are playing the "this guy is old so he knows what he is talking about". Give me a break
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2022, 12:09 PM »
The debate here was "house brand" was it not?  Because there's only one of those on that list and it's Ryobi.

That was my thought as well, at least that was the point i made that started all of this. Ryobi sells more power tools than all the other store brands combined, id still bet a lot of money on it. Heck they even made the worldwide company value list, i think that proves my point pretty well.

Ridgid is a drop in the bucket, and they clearly decided as a company it was not worth it to continue to manufacture and sell high torque tools and high capacity batteries.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2022, 12:16 PM »
Well the thread started out a guy looking for a 9ah octane battery so all the bickering about drill brands is a tad moot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.