Author Topic: Saftey tips for new ice fisherman  (Read 2525 times)

arrowhead

Saftey tips for new ice fisherman
« on: Dec 10, 2003, 08:53 PM »
Anytips would be great... I'm going out in the ice until I know how to be safe!!!!

good fishing
                      arrowhead

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Re:Saftey tips for new ice fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2003, 09:33 PM »
don't follow me out and use common scense ;D

if your just starting...
5-6 inches of good clear ice should be comfortable for you to walk on
8 for a snow machine
14 for a car

quite a safety cuision if you ask me, better safe then sorry...i go on a little more thn half that, like i said don't follow me lol.  test the ice before you go...and its quite reasuring if other people are out or have been out.

this is good fresh ice and minimum thickness.  just in case, ice pics and rope and floatation are good safety devices as ice is never 100% safe.  Stay off rotten ice in the spring (easy to tell that its rotten)

you'll gain experience through doing, just keep safe.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2003, 09:54 PM »
I would recommend you read everything you can from other ice fisherman on ice safety, how they do it. And read all the magazine articles on safety. Never doubt the seriousness of ice safety. Take along a rope, 50 feet in length, 3/8' thick. As often as possible fish with a partner. Carry a cell phone. have extra dry clothes back in your vehicle. Wear picks of life. As much fun as ice fisherman have, safety is no laughing matter to them. Hope this helps some.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2003, 10:48 PM »
Find an experienced ice fisherman.  Spend a couple winters fishing with him and be open to learning whatever he can teach you.

Where are you located?   Someone from this board may volunteer to be your fishing mentor.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:42 AM »
hi Gang!
   I totally agree with Gem-eye-Guy!  Go with some one.
  I started out alone with a rod a spud and a heavy coat.
  I didnt know you should wear a pfd=personal floation device, a good one.  I didnt know that any given day ice is extremely dangerous even if you know what your looking at. I didnt know about ice spikes.  I didnt even know a snoppy rod cause it was short isnt a ice rod!  Yes youll be suprised how much time youll save by learing from some one else.  Ice fishing is 80% experience and 20% on how you use what you learn!!!  Listen to Gem he is wise!
  Da-Roc

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:48 PM »
Id recommend wearing a PFD (personal flotation device) you can always take it off it the ice is very thick. One thing you should never do is assume the ice is safe because you see a group of people out on the ice. A group of idiots is still a group of idiots. Always test, dont guess! Im surprised on how many times ill be out ice fishing and people who are out there playing around come up and ask you how thick the ice is! A spud bar is a great tool. Strike the ice in front of you, if it punches through it easily retrace your steps back. If it deflects, then I usally cut a hole with an auger , and measure. They make some nice chipper ladles with rulers on the handles that work good for this. I like a minimum of 4 inches of CLEAR ice before I fish. Do not count white ice, as most of it is snowpack, and is not dense, which doest support weight well.

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:58 PM »
Yes arrowhead tell us what area you live in so you can hook up with someone to learn. Its really the best way to get into this sport!

arrowhead

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2003, 04:12 PM »
I live in eastern Iowa. My father has a friend I plan to go with... but I can't rely on him to go with me every time. But I've been reading on this site and other sites about satfey equipment. But i'll fish as much as I can with him to learn the ropes.

arrowhead

iceman670

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:10 PM »
I fish western illinois to the harbors of Lake Michigan, The most important thing to remember is there is no such thing as SAFE ICE.
That's not to say It won't support you. Just try never to go alone.
Try to go out after someone else,or you see some one out there stay in
there foot steps,drill hopes as you go or use spud bar. 4"min.
Be prepared for about every event that can happen. I have 100ft of rope, seat cushin {float}, ice picks,and just a lot of other things for safty.Extra close in the car,and thing like that. Also DON'T tie your boots so tight you can't get rid of them fast, there very heavy wet.
I iced fish for years and It's a blast. Just be CAREFUL as you can.
Let me know if I can help in any way as far as Equipment and things.

RonP  Chicago

arrowhead

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:59 PM »
Can you guys give me a list of must need saftey equipment!
Thanks
           arrowhead

iceman670

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:12 PM »
Ice picks, they go around your neck on a cord in case you go in you can use them to pull yourself out, about 5 to 10 bucks
Life jacket or seat cushin float.
100 feet of rope, Good grade close line.
Cleats for your boots.
Boot warmers $1:29 at Galyans last 6 hrs or so. I buy 40 a year
Good gloves and cheep gloves.
thin soxs 1st coverd by wool sox over them.
Lose boots.
Best way to stay warm is to layer With a dark color on the outside layer
You might know most of this but It's just some of the thing I do with my partners.I'm sure more will post as well

RonP

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2003, 05:21 AM »
Arrowhead,
Must need safety equipment;

PFD; Personal Flotation Device. Be sure it fits well and is rated by Coast Guard standards. There are many types available from inflatables to survival suits.

Ice picks; these are 2 handles with a sharp steel pick in the end. you hold them in your hands and use them to gain purchase to pull yourself back up on the ice should you go through

50' of rope; buy a good quality poly rope.600lb rated or more...make sure it floats...Tie it around your waist  and drag it behind you at full length as you walk out...use a good knot

Signaling device; I use a high pitched whistle ...I wear it around my neck the sound carries much further than my voice especially in the wind

The most important safety device is between your ears...use common sense and fish with a SAFE partner when you can. Stay away from creek mouths, channels and areas where there's a lot of current. Check the ice often...thickness can change rapidly.

Stop by the NY forum and check out the threads on falling through the ice. There's a lot of stories about things NOT TO DO there.

Welcome to the hard water world!
RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2003, 10:54 AM »
Hi Gang!
  If you have a pdf wear it!
  If you have a floation devise on your bucket you might not be able to get to it. So get the one you wear.
  Ice pick are good Dont take off your boots!!! Youll freeze your feet before you get back to your truck.  Also your already wet  and by the time you get them off you could have climbed out of the hole and been half way to your truck.  Read the In fisherman article Icy Water Page 28 of the In-Fisherman 2004 guide Ice fishing.  This is a very good atrticle It is a must read for the novice and the rest of us.
   Da- Roc

arrowhead

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Looks like I'm going to go pick that issue up!

arrowhead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.