Author Topic: ice safety / conditions  (Read 2965 times)

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice safety / conditions
« on: Oct 31, 2020, 10:31 AM »
Hey everyone.. I wanted to ask a question on Ice condition and its safety.. Not at all thickness, but more so why it looks they way it does and how safe it is.
I am going to try and post some photos to explain better, but a few of the situations I've often wondered how they were caused, and if they are as safe as hard flat black ice..

-White/Grey Cloudy patches or long strips
-Small 1-2" rises which almost look like tiny pressure ridges
-white/grey blocks that seam to be frozen into black/clear ice

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice safety / conditions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2020, 10:35 AM »
        1.2 MB    1.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

1.4 MB    2.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

1.1 MB    3.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

1.3 MB    4.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2020, 10:36 AM »
        1.3 MB    4.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2020, 06:18 PM »
I wonder what the ice will be like after all this snow on the lakes in south/central SK this season? I'm guessing crappy ice with lots of slush underneath. I won't be the first guy breaking the trail after this storm.  :tipup:

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Me neither, going to be a mess out there.  Too bad, fall was shaping up nicely for real good first ice.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Yes I will be walking only for awhile and very carefully at that. We need an extended period of cold temps.
Will try a little reservoir this week once I get all my snow shoveled.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2020, 09:11 PM »
I dont think black strap or lml even had ice yet though, didnt most lakes open back up after the warm weather?
With the wind it should stay open at least until this snow storm passes?

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2020, 10:35 AM »
I dont think black strap or lml even had ice yet though, didnt most lakes open back up after the warm weather?

Huge difference between lakes you are talking about and lakes in the forest zone and north. Most lakes anywhere close to PA were froze over and stayed that way, some of the big lakes are probably stil at least partiallyl open, like La Ronge. Not sure about Montreal, hopefully it was still mostly open or will be a nightmare this season - good for the fish.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Montreal was frozen unfortunately, not sure about l.a.  hope guys play it safe.

Offline Dwightster1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 09, 2020, 06:27 PM »
Hi all, ...just wondering...I often hear references to "ridges" or "heaves"...?? On here...is there ANY Safety concerns about these ???  I have seen people drive over shallow ridges ( just a few inches) without even slowing down...but are these RIDGES etc that people are talking about higher or have open air/ water between them???

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:22 PM »
with this snow be very careful out out there

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Ridges can be trapped air, refrozen heaves, etc. Remember, snow insulates and keeps a good freeze from occurwing. NOT safe like solid, older ice...and "not slowing down?" You should always go ONE speed on the ice in early season...SLOW!!!!!!!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:11 PM »
You should be rocking all kinds of safety concerns any time you approach a pressure ridge. They are a great place to get into a lot of trouble real quick. That's not to say that you cant just smoke over them sometimes but youre making a big mistake that could cost lives if you assume they are all safe all the time.

Offline Dwightster1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for the info guys....I personally Always always never even walk out on the ice unless I SEE clear evidence that others have already done so and never drive on till I have seen vehicles and/or tracks...I was just curious about some of the warning posts about ridges and upheaves...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh

Offline Dwightster1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 10, 2020, 10:31 PM »
Thanks missoulafish....apprec iated. Those pics look pretty obvious...I have not seen stuff like that much before....and would not even dream of approaching most of those on foot let alone on wheels!!

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2020, 08:56 AM »
I wonder what the ice will be like after all this snow on the lakes in south/central SK this season? I'm guessing crappy ice with lots of slush underneath. I won't be the first guy breaking the trail after this storm.  :tipup:
You were right about slush I was at Delwood yesterday and in some of the shallow spots there was two feel of thick slush under the ice couldn't even get a lure through. Out a little deeper in 15 to 19 feet ice was normal and from nine to 6 inches thick.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2020, 06:52 PM »
I gave Zelma a try yesterday. The ice was between 4 and 6 inches thick. I drilled out some 200 yards from both the north and the south sides. I never found anything less than 4 inches. I also never found any fish. There were a couple of weak marks, but I got the distinct feeling I was looking in the wrong places.

There was little snow on the ice, so it should firm up quite nicely over the next while. So far the shore approaches look good as well.
Since the snow is going to make deer hunting more challenging this year, it is nice that Plan B will be readily accessible.

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:44 PM »

Just wanted to remind everyone that Blackstrap had white caps about 10 days ago.  I watched that slush freeze, be careful out there!  Geese didn't leave til the middle of the week.

Offline flag-man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2020, 08:57 PM »
How are things on Zelma, ( ice thickness, bite, hotspots) thinking of heading out this week.  Any help much appreciated
It's hard to shake hands with closed fists.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.