The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: thompson traps  (Read 1806 times)

Offline CRONIEBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
thompson traps
« on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:36 PM »
hey guys Im just curious to all of you who have thompson traps, I got a new set for christmas and I was just curious if anyone has problems with these traps and some tips to keep them in good shape. how do you re lube the trippers on thompsons?

Offline outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: thompson traps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:40 PM »
I have an old set of Thompsons, the only problem I seem to have is its very hard to set the flag off, the trippers seem to stick, so far Ihhaven't found a way to fix it.

Offline PerchPro113

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's Fishing, Not catching.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:08 PM »
We have many thompsons and a couple moosheads and LOVE them.
I have an old set of Thompsons, the only problem I seem to have is its very hard to set the flag off, the trippers seem to stick, so far Ihhaven't found a way to fix it.

You might have a burr on the piece that holds the ring, try filing that piece down a bit.

Offline snag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:53 PM »
We have many thompsons and a couple moosheads and LOVE them.
You might have a burr on the piece that holds the ring, try filing that piece down a bit.

Or cut it back a little bit with some dikes.  I cut all of mine back just a touch so the are a little touchy for trout fishing.  Love thompsons great traps.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Or cut it back a little bit with some dikes.  I cut all of mine back just a touch so the are a little touchy for trout fishing.  Love thompsons great traps.

x2 or bend the brass tripper, to open it a little.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline CRONIEBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:56 PM »
I love my thompsons im glad to hear alll the feedback thanks

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:05 AM »
Love my Thompson traps!  I've noticed that they have a couple of different springs on them, some are wide and stiff, some are thin and trip easier, I got rid of a bunch of traps this fall, keep the ones with the thin springs.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Love my Thompson traps!  I've noticed that they have a couple of different springs on them, some are wide and stiff, some are thin and trip easier, I got rid of a bunch of traps this fall, keep the ones with the thin springs.

I used these thin springs when I was fishing whitefish out of my shack at Sebago.  I have more than I'll ever need. They are the wire brushes that come off the street sweepers the city uses to sweep the streets. ;D

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I bought my Thompsons in the late 70's, and still use them the majority of the time, even
though I have 5 new Jack traps.  I have had to modify them some over the years.  I added
dark over sized flags as I found they show up easier on the snow.  Changing the split ring
to a snap swivel works too.  All 5 traps have a different colored electrical tape around the
top.  When I have a problem with a trap, I know to look for the one with the red tape vs
the blue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.