The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jig Rod, Multiple Lures, Maine Law  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Jig Rod, Multiple Lures, Maine Law
« on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:25 AM »
I would like to fish two lures on a rod while fishing for non game species, specifically; yellow perch, crappies, sunfish, bluegills....a rule like the  smelt fishing variance. If it could be, I would say restrict to non-trout waters only. That would be basically the "A" classification in the rule book.

You could fish different colors to find what they're hitting best and you could put very light lures above a heavier one.

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: two lures on a jig pole poll....Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Not much controversy here Aye?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Fishing tandem jigs is common in places that allow it.  I wouldn't have a problem with it being allowed here, but there would probably still have to be some restriction (such as 2 lures per rig, etc) to avoid folks using a million hooks throughout the water column!
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2011, 05:32 PM »
That's right.

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:37 PM »
It is already legal to fish multiple artificial lures on one line. But the law limits you to only one baited hook or lure although you can add other artificials if you want.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:04 AM »
i didn't know that. Where can I look it up just to be sure?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:27 AM »
It is already legal to fish multiple artificial lures on one line. But the law limits you to only one baited hook or lure although you can add other artificials if you want.

I can't find that rule allowing 2 hooks on a Jg pole. Anyway, Seeing no controversy, I'm gonna see if it can be changed, what the state thinks. I know where a couple good buttons are.  I'm just gonna talk about A classification waters.

Any input would be great!

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:33 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe it is legal, but if you have 2 hooks/lures on 1 line, it counts as 2 lines in the water.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:38 AM »
Thanks Tiny,

I'll call the ifw guys to get their take. I don't see it in the book. I know the book is not all inclusive.

Wanna try a trip with a couple of us next week?

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:42 AM »
Thanks Tiny,

I'll call the ifw guys to get their take. I don't see it in the book. I know the book is not all inclusive.

Wanna try a trip with a couple of us next week?
I could prolly be persuaded...lol
My biggest problem is mobility, I can't do much and have no machine to get around with.  ::)

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:47 AM »
What about those smelt rigs, they have five hooks and a lure.  ???
Steve

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:48 AM »
it is written....smelt is an exception.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:58 AM »
Well there you go, just say your fishing for smelts. You have to be like the government and read the law the best way it suits you. ;D
Steve

Offline Bigmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
Multiple Hooks On A Jig
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2011, 09:50 AM »
I was looking at some jigs the other day and found several that had hooks coming off the front, back and one particular bait had two treble hooks in the center for a total of 4 hooks on 1 bait.

It is my understanding it is legal to have only one baited hook. How does this effect these jigs. Are some of these jigs illegal to fish with?

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Multiple Hooks On A Jig
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:36 AM »
When fishing hook and line, yes you are limited to one hook with up to 3 barbs. However, jigs fall under artificial lures which I don't think have a barb limit.

ILLEGAL FISHING: Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to fish other than
with a single baited hook and line, artificial flies or artificial lures and spinners.
Exception: This does not apply to hook and line smelt fishing. All other rules and
regulations governing the taking of smelt apply. Use of a gaff is unlawful. (12654)

HOOK: A single fish hook constructed with 1, 2 or 3 points.

ARTIFICIAL LURE: Any fishing lure constructed by humans as an imitation or
substitute for natural bait or fish forage and includes, but is not limited to artificial flies,
spinners, spoons, poppers, plugs, jigs and plastic, rubber or other artificial imitations of
natural bait. An artificial lures only rule prohibits the use of any live, dead or chemically
preserved natural or organic bait or food.

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Re: Multiple Hooks On A Jig
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:45 AM »
There is popular togue jig (I forget the name of it) that comes with a large single hook built into the leadhead and a small stinger treble on a trailing wire.  I asked IF&W about this.  Pefectly legal.  The one gray area was if you tipped both hooks with separate baits.  I didn't get a clear answer so avoid doing that.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Jig Rod, Multiple Lures, Maine Law
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Called Gregg Burr, IFW biologist. He called Augusta, got the bottom line rule, From Maine Law.

UNLIMITED lures may be fished from a single rod. Only one may be baited. This applies to ALL waters in the state.

As a result of my conversation this morning they will be considering changing the rule to 3 lures only. One baited.

Gregg said if anyone wanted input in this consideration to contact the department and Commissioner or head of the Dept in Augusta.

I am going to ask that those lures, 2 or 3, may be fished with bait in waters classified A in the Ice Fishing Rules.

Ther ya have it.

Go Ahead

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jig Rod, Multiple Lures, Maine Law
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:23 PM »
So I can fish a teaser fly with a hook (un-baited) above a jig tipped with a piece of worm?

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:29 PM »
So I can fish a teaser fly with a hook (un-baited) above a jig tipped with a piece of worm?

unlimited teaser flies with a hook (un-baited) above 1 jig tipped with a piece of bait

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:00 PM »
That's right fer now.

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:29 PM »
unlimited teaser flies with a hook (un-baited) above 1 jig tipped with a piece of bait

Okay then. That's worth a shot. I love me some teaser flies. Anyone jig succesfully with this through the ice?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Yep, Have done great. It lets you play with colors a bit more.

One technique: When you first hook a fish, don't reel right in. Let it swim around a bit.  Just like mackeral, others may take what's wavin around.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #22 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Wow! You sure are opening some opportunities for me!

I always thought and read in the rule book that you cannot use any combination of lures, flies, bait, etc, in any way that could land you more than one fish at a time. In other words, the hook and lure rule used to state something to the effect that: "You can use any combination of hooks, feathers, spoons etc as wanted as long as it is 'intended' as to catch only one fish". So I always thought 2 separate spoons would be illegal no matter how close together.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2011, 05:14 AM »
Yeh, That's one thing I was trying to clarify. Apparently it doesn't apply here, to ice fishing. The rule Gregg found from Augusta is not in the book. The book is just an over view. Like I said above, they are looking at refining the rule down to three lures on a line. I'm gonna try to get that to include those hooks being baited in non-trout waters only and only for species w/o limits, size restrictions and the like. There is a list of species in the book that can not be sold. I will suggest they use that list to as the ones excluded....something like that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.