The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Moosehead Derby  (Read 902 times)

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Moosehead Derby
« on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Fished the derby on Saturday with some family members as we do every year.  We had a great day.  Between 5 of us we caught 13 Touge 3 brookies and 4 salmon.  My uncle ended up finishing 2nd in the derby and was first until about noon yesterday, his touge weighed in at 10.3 lbs.  Not a bad day when you can catch that many fish and be out there in just a sweatshirt. 

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Moosehead Derby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:43 AM »
My buddies and I were over by Spencer bay and it was wicked nice out. I was out in a sweatshirt most of the time

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:00 AM »
should have joined us! in rockwood!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Your uncle was in first untill 6 O'clock Saturday night. I was in the bait shop getting bait at 6PM on saturday, right before the bait shop closed, and in walked this guy with a FREEKIN' MONSTER Togue!! 36 or 37" 14.5 LBS!! I was talking with the guy who caught it, I asked him if this was his biggest togue, he said, "Nope, gotta 15 pounder on my wall at home". He said he was from Aroostook County.
I told him I wanted to shake his hand! What a fish man!! I snapped a couple pictures before he left.
,we call them junk fish!

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:58 AM »
We had some snowmobile issues that slowed us down. We were gonna head over to see Team Maine when one of the sleds rear shock mount snapped. So we were down to one and using it go from camp to shack and trap lines. I never even got to see Kineo

Offline MEbearhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Your uncle was in first untill 6 O'clock Saturday night. I was in the bait shop getting bait at 6PM on saturday, right before the bait shop closed, and in walked this guy with a FREEKIN' MONSTER Togue!! 36 or 37" 14.5 LBS!! I was talking with the guy who caught it, I asked him if this was his biggest togue, he said, "Nope, gotta 15 pounder on my wall at home". He said he was from Aroostook County.
I told him I wanted to shake his hand! What a fish man!! I snapped a couple pictures before he left.

Where is the Pics you took.. :( :(

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Right here lol

Pic was taken with my cell phone. This picture does not do this fish ANY justice. I have been togue fishing for a long time, THIS THING IS HUGE!!!
,we call them junk fish!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:09 AM »
and why didnt you join us!

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:14 AM »
and why didnt you join us!

For a couple reasons lol...

A. I had my girl friend, shes never been ice fishing before, and she was nervous to begin with

B. I wanted to catch fish lol. We Slayed 'em.
,we call them junk fish!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:15 AM »
UH HUH  BEGED US TO HAUL BAIT FOR YOU!     lol    we behaved!  pfd had his gf and son there   we behaved  lol 

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2011, 11:20 AM »
haha!! Wish you guys would have brought me over some! I ran out of bait at 1PM. 3 doz bait gone by 1pm, 10 traps in the water. Best fishing up there I have ever seen.
,we call them junk fish!

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2011, 12:40 PM »
yea, it was the best fishing I have seen there in years, beautiful weather and beautiful fishing.  It doesn't get any better than that in the Rockwood area.
I heard that winning fish was 3 inches shorter than my uncle's but over 4lbs heavier, what a monster.

Offline BCC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Beautiful Moosehead Lake, Maine
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:46 PM »
The top three fish were about 2" different in size from first to second and then second to third. I got to see the first place finishing fish and the third place fish.

They were all caught in different parts of the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.