The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: What's your thoughts? Noisy ice  (Read 1968 times)

Offline 44 Degrees North

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What's your thoughts? Noisy ice
« on: Feb 06, 2010, 01:34 PM »
What's your thoughts on noisy ice? It seems to me I don't do as good fishing on a bright day and the ice buckling all day. Case in point, skunked yesterday, ice noisy all day. My favorite day, overcast with a light snow and no wind. 44

Offline fuldraw

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's your thoughts? Noisy ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Ice was moving and making noise like cazy yesterday and we did real well

Offline trucker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Last time I was out ice was cracking right between my legs all day just about had a heart attack and got skunked
Hang out with the kids or go fishing......Can I take the kids out fishing?

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Noisy all day today on maranacook. Ice was cracking all day. And was skunked.
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline Scott Wright

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Ice was banging hard on Norway, this morning. Scarey when it booms under the sled and makes the water in my jig hole splash, while I'm jigging. Very nerve wracking...

:o
Scott Wright

Offline Quickhand

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2010, 03:26 PM »
shaker was noisy, skunked too.
I just want to fish.

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:08 PM »
we fished 3 ponds today and they were all noisy managed at least one fish at each place..

Offline rowell6369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:18 PM »
I fish an area where the river turns to lake. The river is damn controlled and the ice makes noise all day as the water level is constantly changing ever so slightly. This han't had an affect on productivity but, the fish may be accustomed to it.
Q: What do ice fishermen and hypochondriacs have in common?
A: They don't really have to catch anything to be happy.

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Ice was banging all day today,very sunny,,,,,and caught 4 lm bass,7 white perch,3 pickeral,and a smelt....
Sometimes ya never know..... ::)

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:22 PM »
although i think the noise does play a factor, i believe it has to do more with the barometric pressure. The other day i was out and it was sunny but cold and windy, wind was coming out of a diff direction than usual, and the ice was making some noise, but i  did not do as weel fishing...however i hav been out when it was sunny and had great fishing, and have been out when it was overcast and ice was popping and had good fishing...so i think its more of a weather having an effect
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline mtahkypinette18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2010, 05:31 PM »
I like 30 degree weather the best, easier to sit out on the ice, and better fishing

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Cool thing happened today - ice was booming and I could see lines on my vex when it boomed.  Lines formed about 20 feet down and went all the way to the top.  I don't understand why this happened because sonar doesn't work like that - right?  But it happened a number of times today.  Pretty cool.

Oh-btw- ice was booming, but we did REALLY well on fish today.  Who knows why  ???  ???   ???

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:56 PM »
The ice booming and cracking didn't seem to bother today, we were running for flags all day (pike, LM and white perch.)

Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ayuhfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:05 PM »
old fella taught me how to fish  He always said noisy ice meant that it was making ice

Offline troutnstout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Very noisy last night on Sebago, but it didn't seem to bother the cusk at all.  Good action for several hours. 

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:48 AM »
sebago was very active yesterday 1 -4.5lber

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:53 AM »
Ice was banging hard on Norway, this morning. Scarey when it booms under the sled and makes the water in my jig hole splash, while I'm jigging. Very nerve wracking...

:o

"Whimp" ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:53 PM »
Doesn't seem to affect the Smelting....

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:43 AM »
The "noise" is because the cold is producing more ice.  Those cracks are a nice thing to be hearning, except if they happen to open a pressure ridge right underneath you. 

Have never really noticed its effect on the fishing.  I would have to agree with others that the barometric pressure and the weather have a much greater effect on the fishing than the sound of making ice.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:51 AM »
Ice is only quiet when it's melting.  Yesterday was , hand down, the loudest I ever heard the ice--booming and cracking right under foot.  Did not affect the fishing.  Here's something interesting though: a helicopter went overhead a couple hundred feet up.  Could hear it from quite a distance and as it neared, we could feel it (a vibration) in our feet on the ice.  I think it's what's called "ground effect".  Any helicopter people on iS wanna help me out with this?  Fishing just died.  5 minutes later, biting again.  Strange.

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:49 PM »
I like noisy ICE! dosent seem to effect the fish and it can be entertaining watching the flatlanders get all nervous and jumping when it makes noise. ;D ;D
Never Give Up!

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:45 AM »
Ice is only quiet when it's melting.  Yesterday was , hand down, the loudest I ever heard the ice--booming and cracking right under foot.  Did not affect the fishing.  Here's something interesting though: a helicopter went overhead a couple hundred feet up.  Could hear it from quite a distance and as it neared, we could feel it (a vibration) in our feet on the ice.  I think it's what's called "ground effect".  Any helicopter people on iS wanna help me out with this?  Fishing just died.  5 minutes later, biting again.  Strange.

ground effect mostly applies to fixed wing aircraft. its when you get so close to the ground that the ground starts pushing back on the wings creating more lift and less drag. you have to be very close to the ground for this to come into effect though, and i think its pretty negligible on a helo. the prop wash definitely will vibrate things though, and only gets worse the closer you get. to give you an idea, 200' is the air forces safe distance for passing behind a aircraft, and that's just idol.

-dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline maritimedog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Well I was fishing with my son on Sunday and it was really slow until the ice gave one big pop all around the island we were fishing off. Suddenly three flags went off at once(never had that happen before). Had two fish on and one hit and run that stole the shiner. My guess is they were eyeing the bate but not really hungry, the pop may have made them grab the bate and run. My guess is noisy ice makes them feed when they would not otherwise.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:30 PM »
200' is the air forces safe distance for passing behind a aircraft, and that's just idol.

what that means is its safe 50' behind  they go with 200 cause the foolish wingnuts dont know any better!   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:18 PM »
I think when the ice is noisy its because its cold and making ice and ice expands thus it makes cracks and noise
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:24 PM »
noisy ice usually means it's cold enough to make ice. making ice sounds to me more like a "bubbling". ice was makin noise all day saturday during the vets get together, didn't slow the fish down any.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.