The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Crazy Weather  (Read 27822 times)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
Crazy Weather
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:34 AM »
It's been below zero for about the past 5 mornings. Sunday morning +27* when I awoke.
Snowed on/off during the day & tallied about 3" of snow.
Quit snowing about 8:00pm & it was +30* outside.
9:00pm..........+33*.
10:00pm..........+37* and a very light rain.
It's now 1:30am..........+41* and the occasional rain drops hitting the living room windows.
Mother nature changing it up I guess !!

Are y'all having this wacky weather ??

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Crazy Weather
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:44 AM »
I let the dogs out this morning and it felt like a heat wave! Wonder if these weather changes are going to mess with the bite?

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:47 AM »
freezing rain on top of  5 inches of snow and just got done plowing in the rain what the heck is with r weather?
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Drove through Gold Creek on the way home last night around 10:00 and it was pouring rain and 40 degrees.  Goofiest weather I have seen in a while.....

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:22 AM »
We're up to -10 here in Great Falls at 10:30 am. I don't think our ice is going away for awhile.

Ken......

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2017, 11:25 AM »
supposed to get close to 40 next week :/ hopefully it will settle the snow.

Offline titan666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Yeah, it's been crazy in Missoula. Been getting plenty of OT having to plow snow every week for the last month. Heard somewhere it's the coldest winter in 26 years with an overall avg. Temp of 16.9 degrees.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Starting 2morrow it looks like another four mornings of below zero. Next Wednesday is forecasted to be +40*.

Mother nature is definitely mixing it up this winter.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:48 PM »
3:45pm - The thermometer on the front porch reads 50* and the water is just pouring out the gutters.
Quite the change over the previous week.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:20 PM »
As long as we remain stuck in this inversion it seems unlikely things will get too sloppy here in the Helena Valley.  Our temp peaked at 23 today.  Townsend appears to have similar conditions.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2017, 05:35 PM »
That sounds like a better scenario B L. Just lost the sun a few minutes ago & I noticed it melted almost all the snow off the house/garage. Didn't expect that today. Oh well.....It's winter in MT so I'm sure it won't last.

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:19 PM »
I drove through Great Falls today and the truck read 55*, no lie.  It was -32* on the HiLine about a week and a half ago so 55* today felt like Mexico to me @)

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:54 PM »
I hear ya H T. Hit 51* here at the house today. Hard to believe how much snow melted with 2 days of this weather. Looks like it's going to start cooling down here Friday with single digit lows forecasted.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Well.....Roughly 6" of snow in the past six hours & still coming down hard. This is just terrible timing for me right now & it looks like more in the forecast.
Sunday was 50* and Monday was 47*. I was actually able to get out in the yard on my crutches & painfully endure a little exercise. That sun sure felt good !!
Now I'm going to be stuck here in the house because I can't chance taking a spill out there & possibly breaking some bones.
Heck.....I even thought of inching my way the 20ft. to the garage to see if I could somehow straddle the ATV & do some plowing. Best not risk it tho.
Guess the wife & daughter are going to be on snow duty for the time being - LOL.
I bet G'Town is getting pounded right now.
Take care everyone & be safe out there !!

Offline mtjigalo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Hope you're mending up spitzo.

Sounds like the weather goofs in NW Montana are calling for a "once every few decades" storm cycle over the next couple days. I'm tired of shoveling snow.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2017, 07:53 PM »
snowed another 6" last night in Missoula. The World Theater just collapsed about 2 hours ago. The north west part of the state is supposed to get obliterated the next couple days..... :o

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2017, 08:26 PM »
9" of snow plus -16* on Monday/Tues here,  43* above on Friday.... 59* temp difference in 3 days... I wonder if the old guys at the diner will have anything to discuss over their coffee and cinnamon rolls this week  ???   

Offline OTTOCAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2017, 01:51 AM »
HA  HA  HA !!!!   They wont shut up all day!!!HA HA HA!  GOOD ONE.....

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2017, 02:26 AM »
Hope you're mending up spitzo.

Thank you sir.....Appreciate that !!

I'm just hoping the ice sticks around long enough for me to at least get out on the hardwater a few times this season. I guess time will tell.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2017, 03:44 PM »
Well.....It just poured rain here for a solid 4 hours.....Now it's whiteout blizzard of large wet snowflakes.....I Love Montana !!

Heard you folks in the northwest part of the state are getting hammered with snow.....News said measuring it in feet not inches.....You all stay safe !!

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2017, 03:52 PM »
So here is one for the ages. Driving down I-15 yesterday morning headed to Holter at around 7:00 am. Thermometer in the truck showed 2 degrees and it is accurate within a degree or two. My buddy says what the heck is that. I ponder it for a second and conclude that it in fact was raining in 2 degree weather. It was hitting the windshield and immediately freezing. One of the craziest things I have ever seen. 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2017, 04:09 PM »
That is crazy & can make for an unsafe situation in a hurry. Did the road freeze up on ya too ??

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Teton Pass Ski Area:  53 inches in 48 hours.  :o
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:03 PM »
No, it didn't make things that treacherous as we bailed off the interstate about a mile down the road anyhow. Just was happening in a bit of a swath about 2 miles long. I imagine that it could have gotten real nasty very fast if it lasted for a while. I can tell you there were people not using their brains driving in the dark yesterday morning.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Good to hear.....It's now blue skies & sunshine here haha.....All 4 seasons within roughly 6 hours.....Go figure !!

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:24 PM »
Heard you folks in the northwest part of the state are getting hammered with snow.....News said measuring it in feet not inches.....You all stay safe !!

This is true.  The drive to work & back was great today; I dug myself out of the garage this morning in an attempt to conquer SNOWMAGEDDON 2017 and just finished digging myself back into the garage just now.  Darn good thing shoveling snow in a rush to beat the time clock is my favorite thing in the world next to breaking trail in 4x4 for 35 miles, oh wait......  By the way Spitzo, I made it   @)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:35 PM »
Snownado all day long, must have plowed and shoveled for 6 of my 8 hours at work the other 2 hrs were drinking coffee to fight off the wind chill. Saw some blue skies too Spitz. But we just call those "sucker holes"!  ;) Stay safe everyone!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:05 PM »
This is true.  The drive to work & back was great today; I dug myself out of the garage this morning in an attempt to conquer SNOWMAGEDDON 2017 and just finished digging myself back into the garage just now.  Darn good thing shoveling snow in a rush to beat the time clock is my favorite thing in the world next to breaking trail in 4x4 for 35 miles, oh wait......  By the way Spitzo, I made it   @)

So your day consisted of a workout before work, treacherous ride to work, a shift at work, treacherous ride home & another workout once you got home. Sounds like one heck of a day & good to hear it was a safe one. Just how much snow did you get ??

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Snownado all day long, must have plowed and shoveled for 6 of my 8 hours at work the other 2 hrs were drinking coffee to fight off the wind chill. Saw some blue skies too Spitz. But we just call those "sucker holes"!  ;) Stay safe everyone!

Snownado...lol. Sounds like you had a nice day at work. The blue skies lasted about an hour them it started snowing again. Put down about 1/2 inch is all. Partly cloudy out now. Are you all getting more snow than usual Kyle ??

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Yeah its been an above average snow fall here in town and also at most of the surrounding snotel stations. Sure is keeping all the sled heads and skiers happy. Ice fishers seem to just take what they can get and as long as we have ice until late April, I'm fine with whatever.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.