Author Topic: Tightening drill chuck  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Tightening drill chuck
« on: Sep 10, 2018, 04:43 AM »
Is it true and maybe I just didn't know? I was with a buddy the other day and when he put a drill bit in his cordless drill, he gripped the chuck and slowly squeezed the trigger as opposed to quickly pulling it to lock the bit into place. Is this the way, or doesn't it matter either way. He claimed there is a slight clicking noise when done this way to ensure it is locked down properly. Any thoughts or experiences with this?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tightening drill chuck
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2018, 05:32 AM »
I am interested as well. I have been having issues with my Milwaukee 2702-02 that I was going bring out on the ice as a stake/bakeup drill. Problem is, the bit keeps getting jammed. The last time I had to put a clamp on it and hold it down as I removed a 4” deck screw.

Hoping it was a bad bit do I chucked it (no pun intended). Just left it unoccupied for the time being until I did a bit of resource.

Thanks in advance for any tips/guidance provided

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2018, 05:38 AM »
The Ridgid drill I put the bit in and then turn the chuck until it locks into place. I never hold the chuck and then run the drill to lock it in.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2018, 05:50 AM »
The Milwaukee drill you tighten the chuck, then turn back about 1/2 turn and u will hear a click. This locks the chuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2018, 06:23 AM »
The Milwaukee drill you tighten the chuck, then turn back about 1/2 turn and u will hear a click. This locks the chuck in

Thanks, I assumed it was user error! I’ll give it a shot when I get home from work

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2018, 10:54 AM »
the clicking noise you hear is a ratcheting chuck. that's what you always want to hear no matter how you tighten it.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:59 PM »
The Milwaukee drill you tighten the chuck, then turn back about 1/2 turn and u will hear a click. This locks the chuck

Couldn’t get a click turn it back half turn, but did notice the clicks while I was hand tightening it. I am going to stick with that in lieu of holding the chuck and pulling the trigger. Will also check out the owners manual I guess...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:56 AM »
I have 2 Milwaukee drills and both do. Was told that by a Milwaukee rep, I didn’t know about it. All the Milwaukee drills I have been around,(buddies) do the same, they do have a distinct “click) when they lock.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:01 AM »
Couldn’t get a click turn it back half turn, but did notice the clicks while I was hand tightening it. I am going to stick with that in lieu of holding the chuck and pulling the trigger. Will also check out the owners manual I guess...

From the Milwaukee 2702-20 owner's manual. Turns out i have been over-tightening, which has lead to my issues (well, one of them)

Installing Bits

Always remove the battery before inserting or remov- ing bits. Select the proper style and size bit for the job. This tool is equipped with a spindle lock. The chuck can be tightened with one hand, creating higher grip strengths on the bit.

1. To open the chuck jaws, turn the sleeve in the counterclockwise direction. When using drill bits, allow the bit to strike the bottom of the chuck. Center the bit in the chuck jaws and lift it about 1/16” off of the bottom. When using screwdriver bits, insert the bit far enough for the chuck jaws to grip the hex of the bit.

2. To close the chuck jaws, turn the sleeve in the clockwise direction. The bit is secure when the chuck makes a ratcheting sound and the sleeve can not be rotated any further.

3. To remove the bit, turn the sleeve in the counter- clockwise direction.

NOTE: A ratcheting sound may be heard when the chuck is opened or closed. This noise is part of the locking feature, and does not indicate a problem with
the chuck’s operation.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:35 AM »
how can you over tighten the chuck?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:41 AM »
pulling the trigger and holding the chuck in place, instead of hand tightening

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:52 AM »
how can you over tighten the chuck?

That's what I have been wondering too...and the difference between hand or trigger?  :-\

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:54 AM »
Makes no difference

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2018, 11:55 AM »
That's what I have been wondering too...and the difference between hand or trigger?  :-\

Hand tighten, twist the chuck with your hand
trigger tighten, hold the chuck in place and pull the trigger

apparently the former is the way to go

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:02 PM »
Just sharing information that i learned after having issue removing a bit from my drill.
If you haven't had the issue, feel free to disregard

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:42 PM »
internal rust maybe?  i like to use a product called gibbs on metal i want to try to protect. i do use it on all of my chucks as they can catch moisture while ice fishing and doing plumbing ect. going from heated car to ice cold temps will or can make them condensate.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:44 PM »
internal rust maybe?  i like to use a product called gibbs on metal i want to try to protect. i do use it on all of my chucks as they can catch moisture while ice fishing and doing plumbing ect. going from heated car to ice cold temps will or can make them condensate.

Is this the stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Gibbs-Brand-Lubricant-2-12oz-cans/dp/B00AFJXIJQ
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:48 PM »
yes. good stuff. has some cool history behind it as far as incorporating it into a pressurized container. had been available since 60's but only in a non pressurized container.
i buy it locally at a plumbing supplies store.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2018, 06:13 PM »
Hand tighten, twist the chuck with your hand
trigger tighten, hold the chuck in place and pull the trigger

apparently the former is the way to go

Ok, I know the difference between hand and trigger...just not the advantage of one over the other, so I put the hand tighten to the test with my Bosch. I hand tightened a drill bit until I heard a distinct "click". Then decided to turn it a couple more times and heard/ felt more of a "ratcheting" sound. I decided at that point I had probably over-tightened it. I will stick with the one click until I test it under working conditions.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 12, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Ok, I know the difference between hand and trigger...just not the advantage of one over the other, so I put the hand tighten to the test with my Bosch. I hand tightened a drill bit until I heard a distinct "click". Then decided to turn it a couple more times and heard/ felt more of a "ratcheting" sound. I decided at that point I had probably over-tightened it. I will stick with the one click until I test it under working conditions.

Apologies for the rude and crass responses.

Perhaps "over-tightening" wasn't the right way to phrase it. Maybe the bit was jammed. My first 2 Milwaukees are the first quality drills i have owned. Bought them primarily for ice fishing. The 2702-20 initially, not realizing that it was only 500 in/lbs of peak torque. So I upgraded to the 2703-20, with 1200 in/lb of torque.

In the past, i had no issues with pulling the trigger and holding the chuck to lock in the bit. Appears to be not necessary with these. I will take a look at the drill having issues, so it if there is some cleaning or lubing to be done that may improve this situation.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.