Author Topic: The decision between an Otter XT Hideout and the Cottage  (Read 5185 times)

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who has made the decision to go with either the XT Hideout over the Cottage or vice-versa in the Otter series of flip overs?  I'm reading that the Hideout is 59 lbs. and the Cottage is 80 or 82 depending on whether one goes with a the single seat or the bench seat in the Cottage.  Being heavier, the Cottage does offer more room to fish and also more room to carry gear that will add to the overall weight, but who's made this choice?

Are you happy going one way or another?  I'll be sliding it into a pickup and then dragging it on the ice.  One week, I'm thinking of going with the Hideout.  The next, it's 'go a little bigger' and be happy with the Cottage which now has side entry doors, etc.  My head is spinning since I can't just go one way or the other, buy one now, and be done with it since they're not all available yet.

Is the roughly 20 extra pounds of the Cottage worth it, or is lighter always better and one should just stop with the Hideout?

Honest opinions are appreciated.  I keep looking and putting too much thought into this as the season draws nearer.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: The decision between an Otter XT Hideout and the Cottage
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:41 PM »
All depends on how much you like to sweat. And how much crap you need to bring.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Pulling by hand? I'd buy the smaller one. larger is heavier and you'll end up putting more crap in it making it heavier yet

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2018, 04:20 AM »
I had a cottage and downsized for less weight.  That's just me though.  I really like the insulated, one-man, quickflip style of shelters.  Light, warm, easy dragging (if that is what you are doing), quick to set up and take down.
I do have to say, though, Otter makes a fine, well built/designed, shelter.

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2018, 04:39 AM »
I own both the hideout and cabin.  No experience with the cottage but I used to own a clam nanook which is roughly the same weight as the cottage.  Pulling by hand I would recommend the hideout.  The hideout pulls easy across the ice and when I walk I like to pull as little weight as possible. 

The only thing with the hideout is when I load it into my pickup I need to lift the entire hut to put it in because the tub is short.  On my nanook I could stand the one end of the shelter against the tailgate and then lift the other end and slide it up and in which was pretty easy.  Even though the hideout is only 59lbs you may want a ramp to slide it up into the truck and then you wouldn't have to empty it out.

The only factor that would sway me to the cottage over the hideout would be if you plan on purchasing a snowmobile or atv to haul it out in the future.  Just my thoughts.  Now I do get a lot of snow where I fish if you pull across glare ice or very little snow that extra 20lbs might not make as much difference.   

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2018, 07:57 AM »
I agree with Rockfish.  I have the Clam Yukon and the Blazer.  I purchased the Yukon first because I can use it throughout the entire season.  Yes, the 80 lbs is a little heavy, but you can manage it.  Use a Smitty sled to aid in pulling and loading into the back of your truck.  The Blazer gets me into the early and late ice season.  Don't need alot of gear during these seasons.  So my advice is to get the bigger unit first and you can always pick up the smaller one man lighter unit on sale or Craigslist. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2018, 08:20 AM »
I would go with the Hideout.  Lighter is always better, its easier to be more mobile. You will have enough room in there for a 8 inch hole, a flasher and a heater. I would only go with the bigger one if you are a bigger built person or like to fish 2 or 3 holes.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2018, 08:43 AM »
What is the longest lenght rods you guys use in a hideout? 

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I would go lighter.....I have a Yukon that I pulled by hand for quite a few years.....it was ok...but full of stuff, it got really heavy.  Even with skis under it, if we got some heavy snow while fishing, dragon it off the ice was a bugger....So I modded that thing up with some wooden compartments and now that is what I use behind my snowmobile....This year, Im getting a light one man for early and late ice Nasty weather days....not a big fan of sitting inside anyway, but it is necessary sometimes.  If you are young and strong, and dont mind a tougher pull.....put some skis under that thing and have at it....I guess I just waffled on my answer.....  :-)

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2018, 11:18 AM »
I put myself through the same debate late last year. I went with the Hideout. After owning a few other shelters, I decided that the weight of the hideout was the max I was going to want to pull by hand, and the whole point of me wanting a 1 man was to be light and mobile.

The Hideout isn't real wide, but it's got a lot of room lengthwise. All my rods are 24" because that was all I could use in my old Frabill, now I have an excuse to shop for some longer rods.

Take a look at the sleds though, the Hideout's sled is pretty small. I'm able to get everything I normally take out in there but if you pack a lot of gear, it might be tight.

If it's any help, there's a video too:

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2018, 06:26 AM »
One moment I'm leaning toward the Hideout, but then I wonder about the space in the tub.  The next, I'm thinking that with a smitty sled, the Cottage will have more room for my junk.  I bought my house faster than this.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2018, 06:40 PM »
One moment I'm leaning toward the Hideout, but then I wonder about the space in the tub.  The next, I'm thinking that with a smitty sled, the Cottage will have more room for my junk.  I bought my house faster than this.
:woot: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2018, 05:40 PM »
I put myself through the same debate late last year. I went with the Hideout. After owning a few other shelters, I decided that the weight of the hideout was the max I was going to want to pull by hand, and the whole point of me wanting a 1 man was to be light and mobile.

The Hideout isn't real wide, but it's got a lot of room lengthwise. All my rods are 24" because that was all I could use in my old Frabill, now I have an excuse to shop for some longer rods.

Take a look at the sleds though, the Hideout's sled is pretty small. I'm able to get everything I normally take out in there but if you pack a lot of gear, it might be tight.

How do you like it?  Is it too narrow?   Can you reach stuff from the seat?  With the seat on, can you put a 5 lb. propane  tank, Buddy heater, fish finder, lures, rods, ice scooper, minnow bucket, rods, and other stuff in the tub?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2018, 05:44 PM »
Just buy both ;D ;D

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2018, 07:13 PM »
Just buy both ;D ;D

You're killing me!  600 denier/1200 denier  So many choices in addition to the sled size! Why do they do this?

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2018, 09:33 PM »
How do you like it?  Is it too narrow?   Can you reach stuff from the seat?  With the seat on, can you put a 5 lb. propane  tank, Buddy heater, fish finder, lures, rods, ice scooper, minnow bucket, rods, and other stuff in the tub?

I think it's fine widthwise. Compared to other one man flipovers, it's pretty good. The seat swivels and I am able to reach around into the sled when it's set up.

I'm trying to remember what all I normally pack, but pretty sure I've packed the following:

Flasher, minnows (I use a one gallon insulated water jug), a 5 gallon bucket with rods/scoop/snacks, another empty bucket for fish I hopefully catch, a tackle bag that is about the size of 2 flashers,  buddy heater (portable buddy) and an auger either hand or power laid across the top.

Honestly, if weight isn't an issue, or at least that extra 20lbs, the extra room in the cottage sure is nice.

Not sure if prices change from year to year, but I found the Hideout for $380 when I bought mine.

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 06, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Where did you buy it at last year?  I was holding out for the Shappel FX100i this year which I figured would cost around $320. But if I can get an Otter for $380 that might be worth the little extra money.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 06, 2018, 07:46 AM »
Where did you buy it at last year?  I was holding out for the Shappel FX100i this year which I figured would cost around $320. But if I can get an Otter for $380 that might be worth the little extra money.

That was at Marine General and was a sale late in the season. There were some other places that had them for around that price too, but by the time I would hear about it, they were sold out.

Also, that $380 didn't include shipping, which was an extra $50, no tax though.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 07, 2018, 09:01 PM »
I own the cottage a wish I had more room to set a hook. Just my two cents...

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:20 PM »
i would recommend the polar bird but since they left the U.S. market i cant.  That's what i own and i love it.  Best hub out there IMO.  Im a big otter fan but my only experiences were with the 1st gen models that had a lot of problems.  i guess if those are ironed out i would go with them.  Otherwise ive fished out of my cousins eskimo quite a few times and its nice.  Im not a fan of the black interior as i don't sight fish and so its of no use to me and only makes it dark in there.  Clam is garb

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2018, 03:22 PM »
Following up on this one...

I decided to go lighter.  I called Frank's Great Outdoors in Saginaw and put a deposit on an Otter XT- Hideout that I'll pick up 8 Dec 2018 during their Shanty Days.  It'll be discounted and come with a light bar and a cover as part of the event.  I also ordered some other items such as a Clam drill adapter. 

I don't know what else I'll end up buying, but I'll probably pick up other things when I get there.  The two hour drive one way should be worth it.  All that we need now is some safe ice.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Thanks for keeping us in the loop! I think you made a good choice.

Offline shawn30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2018, 04:34 PM »
Just for folks thinking the same thing through. My Otter Cabin with the bench seat was 90 ish pounds. I took the bench seat out, and use camp chairs, and put the hyfax on. It's still pretty hard to pull in snow loaded with gear ( at 10,000 feet anyway) and I'm planning to make a smitty sled.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Just for folks thinking the same thing through. My Otter Cabin with the bench seat was 90 ish pounds. I took the bench seat out, and use camp chairs, and put the hyfax on. It's still pretty hard to pull in snow loaded with gear ( at 10,000 feet anyway) and I'm planning to make a smitty sled.

I agree with this also.  I have both cabin and cottage and both are too heavy for me to pull any great distance through snow.  I bought the hideout for my one man and so far I like it.  I also took the bench seat out of my cottage and put a center bar in it so I could go to the bucket seat as I was not loving the bench...

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2018, 08:00 AM »
One thing that I have not solved with the hideout is that it is awkward to lift it up by myself as it is too wide to grab it by the sides and just lift it up.  It's not too heavy to lift just not any good spots to lift.  I have been lifting it by the seat support but am concerned that I'll stress the tub out where the bolts hold the bar in place by putting so much pressure on them.  Tried looping a strap around the middle of tub but that was awkward.  Havent solved this one yet.  Only got to use it a few times last year but I really liked it. 

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2018, 01:46 PM »
One thing that I have not solved with the hideout is that it is awkward to lift it up by myself as it is too wide to grab it by the sides and just lift it up.  It's not too heavy to lift just not any good spots to lift.  I have been lifting it by the seat support but am concerned that I'll stress the tub out where the bolts hold the bar in place by putting so much pressure on them.  Tried looping a strap around the middle of tub but that was awkward.  Havent solved this one yet.  Only got to use it a few times last year but I really liked it.

Can you stand it up on one and then slide it in?  Another option would be to use a short, skinny board as a ramp to slide it on and get it into your vehicle.  You wouldn't have to lift it and would slide it by pushing it instead.

Offline Bubba340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2018, 02:09 PM »

Can you stand it up on one and then slide it in?  Another option would be to use a short, skinny board as a ramp to slide it on and get it into your vehicle.  You wouldn't have to lift it and would slide it by pushing it instead.

Yes, that's what I do,  stand it up and awkwardly rest it on the back of suv and shove it into the back.  I guess I need to treat it more like a heavier shanty and get some ramps but if  it just had a central lifting spot a guy could just lift it up and put it in..(like a bale of hay)..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.