Author Topic: How do you tie your jigs?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do you tie your jigs?
« on: Aug 03, 2018, 01:09 PM »
Been reading quite a few posts about the different ways to tie on jigs and spoons.  How is everyone handling theirs (loop at end, tight but to side, etc)
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How do you tie your jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:04 PM »
palomar strongest, clinch good too and fast to retie, loops give jig more action and you know plastic is horizontal but knot strength not best

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:06 PM »
snap swivel

I will switch lures often
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:06 PM »
I usually use a snap swivel too, but trying to decide if I should go away from those and tie directly..

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Sometimes you need to tie directly.  Let the fish tell you.

re-tie if line is nicked from fish bite

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Kind of a tangent, but how quick are you changing lure/setup if marking fish and no activity?

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2018, 03:35 PM »
a version of the Improved Clinch knot.....Im not even sure of the name of it, I'll have to look it up....but it is tight to the jig.  I keep saying Im going to try some of the others, but ive been doing this one for so long it just comes natural.  As for changing up jigs, I usually have a bigger 'attention getter' that sometimes will get hit by aggressive fish....if im marking but not catching, I have another pole rigged with a very small jig that I'll drop down there.....Im def not a snap swivel guy.....dont like the look of it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Aug 03, 2018, 05:10 PM »
I used the improved clinch knot for 20 years till i got sick of repositioning my horizontal jigs all the time.i have switched to the rapala knot.it positions and balances a fiskas jig perfectly at the right angle.better jigging motion too i believe.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 03, 2018, 07:15 PM »
For pan fish like crappie I use a uni knot tighten aiginst eye I wIll position jig so it vertical or 90 to vertical I use that for tube jigs and trout head type jigs with soft plastics once you get on them you got to stay on them  some use float some use flashers some use bolth all depends on what the fish like?? That's what I use.. there's also the palomar knot is another tight clinching knot. .  if only tying on one jig..  but if useing three way swivels or any kind of multi hook lures or rigging that are extremely long..  I would just stick with learning the uni knot!!  cause its touger to pull it all threw the loop to do a palomar knot..  uni is easier when rigging three ways and multi pointed multi hooked lures ..  so to guide people that want your lures etc tied on.. like  as a example  you got to be quick!!  like on party boats letting 6 people stand in line while you screw around ain't going to fly with the captin..  then you get two more people in line that just broke off their rigs..  so now you got 8 in line lol's the faster the line moves the faster and less agrovated people get...  that's why I look for certin knots that are harder to learn but are simpler to use in all rigging methods..  like the uni to uni knot and can  join braid to mono..  tons of uses for the uni  I suggest going over your option see what works best for you??  cause once you got one line tied on a three way your not pulling the main line threw the loop of a palomar...  if you use a Palomar after the main line was tied..  so event though the palomar is a 90% knot your better off learning a good all purpose knot like the uni.. that's around 70%  just a tip... the palomar is a great knot but it has its days were it won't work!!

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Palomar knot 99% of time.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Forgot to tell you with the uni you can back your knot off the eye with a thumb nail and make it a loop knot thay tightens down  when the fish is on.. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2018, 05:54 AM »
I'm a big fan of the fas-snaps with a palomar.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2018, 06:39 AM »
Kind of a tangent, but how quick are you changing lure/setup if marking fish and no activity?

If I had to give it a time window...between 1 to 5 minutes.  Everyone will have a preference of what they're going to use or what they're familiar with or confident with.  Maybe just have fun.

Changes with species targeted as well.

My preference is spoons.  I pick spoons that don't do much like a Northland Forage Minnow or a spoon with high wobble like Eppinger Daredevle skeeter or midget.  If I had to go deep water, something like Acme Fjord spoon (no longer made) because it's a thick metal spoon with more weight.  Night time or heavy stained dark water, noisy spoons like Northland Buckshots or Lindy Rattl'n Flyers spoon.

My confidence is small or micro plastics.  Wedgees or Nuggies is what these simple plastics are commonly called.  I've also done well with some Northland Bro's bloodworms and Mimic Minnows.

For fun...Salmo's Chubby Darters or Rapala Jigging Rap (similar type) or various lipless cranks...or secret home brewed lures.

As it goes, sometimes you need one lure to call them in...and a totally different lure to get them to bite.  Even sometimes same lure, tie'd slightly differently to line.  Typical jigging calls them in, dead stick lure get's bite.  Maybe it's the horizontal or angled position that the fish prefer when they're finicky.  Not always a lure change, but a slight change to the lure presentation.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2018, 07:26 AM »
The Palomar is the easiest for me. I also use the Surgeons Knot 3300 showed us.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Palomar gets most of the use by me. But i rig up several rods before going on the ice. If i get a break off. I just switch rods. Very rarely do i retie out on the ice.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:57 AM »
One at a time. :) 

palomar if the eye is big enough to get the line doubled through.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Palomar gets most of the use by me. But i rig up several rods before going on the ice. If i get a break off. I just switch rods. Very rarely do i retie out on the ice.

X2.    :thumbsup: :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:56 PM »
So you aren't changing colors, size, etc out on the ice?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:12 PM »
So you aren't changing colors, size, etc out on the ice?

I'm a casual fisherman.  In part I am already familiar with the waters I'm fishing.  So there isn't much need to change things or I just want to try out new lures and stuff.

Now if exploring new waters, then yes, there's a strategy to figuring out what works.  I assume most people will have a plan or personal strategy.  I typically do a three rod system: one plastic, one spoon, and one dead stick usually a minnow.  The type of water stain, determines which colors for me for starters.  Snow cover also plays part of it too.  The clearer the water, the more detailed paint/pattern jobs of lure types I use.  The more murky, the more I lean to single or just dual color paint jobs.  Daytime, I favor, gold or nickel type lures.  Night time, I favor glows.  Mid-winter slow down - I favor smaller lures.  Smaller lures for finicky fish as well.   If too many dinks, I choose larger type lures.  Or if the flasher appears to be in dead water, I do larger lures to call them in.  That's mostly my starter strategy in a nutshell.

Now camping on a spot, I change out lures if I determine that the bite or fish activity begins to taper off.  My opinion is that not all fish are after one type of forage only.  At times color change will entice a few more fish that otherwise will have ignored current.  Always be flexible.  Sometimes you have to hole hop.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Aug 07, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Trilene knot with a size 20 swivel about 24" above jig.
Swivel is a must keeps the jig from spinning.
Makes a big difference with finicky fish.
Also helps with line twist.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Aug 07, 2018, 08:09 PM »
I'm a big fan of the fas-snaps with a palomar.

X2!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2018, 07:21 PM »
X2!

Well, after further revue I'll be switching from this method to the Rapala knot minus the fas-snap. With the small hoizontal jigs I'm using this year, the Palomar is near impossible. Also going without a swivel or split shot. Got the idea from a wiley veteran.  ;)

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:49 AM »
You might want to check the nail knotter video on you tube. I picked one up last spring and use it for all my knots. I used to use the palomar but I find the knotter easier and faster.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Trilene knot on small jigs i cant get the bent line threw the eyelet for a palomer knot. Then i tie the line from braid to leader with a double uni knot. If i am tieing direct with braid, then 100% palomer. Sometimes iw ant the line to be loose on the eyelet then a surgeons loop.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2018, 06:38 PM »
I wish they had a large Fast Snap clip with a finer wire to fit through the small tungsten jig's eye

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I use a surgeons loop (like on the Fiskas pack) for 90% of my knots (jigs/flies). Then, just a clinch knot on anything with a split ring or large hook eye (spoons, raps, trebles for tip-ups). I can’t recall ever having a knot come loose or break. I like the surgeons loop because it’s incredibly easy and quick to tie on a new jig with cold fingers and it’s never let me down. The clinch knot is tried and true and I’ve become a master at it lol. Line weight determines how many wraps the clinch gets. 4# and under gets 5 wraps. Anything above that (I go up to 10#) gets 7 wraps.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Sep 10, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I wish they had a large Fast Snap clip with a finer wire to fit through the small tungsten jig's eye

I'd settle for the finer wire  :-\

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Sep 10, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Yep the surgeons loop and rapala knot are similiar knots.hangs fiskas and other horizontal jigs at the perfect angle.no repositioning the jig all the time with these knots.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Sep 10, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Palomar knot 99% of time.

This....if I use a quick snap.....I tie the quick snap on with a palomar.

Unit to Uni for tying lines together.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.