The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fished spencer  (Read 4166 times)

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished spencer
« on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:54 PM »
My morning started at 3:15 a.m left the house at 3:30. Picked my buddy up at 4, loaded up his sled an all his gear up. Made to the king an Bartlet rd at 6. Hit a good size pot hole not going to fast thankfully an snapped my bar on my trailer that tilts the trailer bk. What a ohh crap moment. I had a heavy duty ratchet strap an all kinds of rope, we managed to tie the trailer down safely, an get to where we needed to unload. Snowmobiled roughly 10 miles into the lake. Beautiful lake fishing was slow managed 6 touge An 18 inch salmon. There was a group fishing across from
Us so I snowmobiled over to see how they were doing. The guy was the man who care takes the big lodge on the Lake very nice guy, I was roughly 400 yards from my traps I could still see them. I talked to him for roughly 30 minuets, I snowmobiled bk to my side, warden comes over an gives
Me a summons for un attending my traps first violation in 15 years of ice
Fishing an I think it was pretty weak. I’m pretty easy going I was upset I didn’t give the warden a hard time at all. But than it settled in an I said Jesus Christ many times I have put traps further away than that. I have put traps further away than that many times. I had no attentions of talking to the man that long. I was just talking fishing time flow by I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. Sorry about the long post do u guys think I have a right to be mad? I do a lot of fishing I spend a lot of money on ice fishing, just pisses me off I gotta pay a 150$ fine or whatever it is on something I don’t really think is wrong.

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fished spencer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 10:06 PM »
I thought there was a 30 min grace period and if you had binoculars and a sled would that really be "unattended"? I would fight it so it doesn't go on your record. Just my two cents.

Offline MarkNFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:17 AM »
This is one of those issues where there doesn't seem to be much consistency, and has been debated more than once here on IS.  We've been checked a few times with lines spread further than that and they don't even ask.  We've observed others fish lines spread literally miles apart.  Others have been busted for exactly what you did.  I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I'd be curious to see how you make out. 

On another note...how many times has a ratchet strap saved somebody's trip! @)

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:23 AM »
That is a bummer on the ticket. I have spread my traps out at times to cover real-estate. I check for flags with optics and ride my atv over to tend them. Seems like some Wardens more eager to make $ .

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:34 AM »
I agree exactly with Wayne, seems like just trying to make money and prove a point but doesnt seem like he was protecting anything, that kind of stuff really grinds my gears, sorry that happened to you.  I think some law enforcement has to stop using the book and whats between there legs to kind them and start using common sense, and its not everybody, exact opposite in my opinion, 99 percent of the people are great, but its the select few who leave a bad taste and thats unfortunate.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2018, 07:28 AM »
By the sounds of it no way should you should have gotten a ticket. I would have had to fight that one.  I often set my traps far enough away that I check them with binos.  Spencer is on my list of lakes to visit someday.  Probably do it in a boat though.

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I had binoculars with me, but I didn’t need them too see if a flag was up. Honestly the fishing was slow, I was enjoying the weather An shooting the crap with someone that had good knowledge of the Lake. I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I looked over at my traps a few times, but in something like that a warning at best should be used. Not easy getting into Spencer, kind of ruined my day in what should of been a great day. I also was told can’t be riding the snowmobile An drinking, at that moment I had two m/t beer bottles my buddy had drank 1. Which is almost embarrassing for being in a place like that on a 50 degree day.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:01 AM »
Wow

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:07 AM »
A lot of wardens are pricks.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2018, 09:19 AM »
Wow

Almost reminds you have the ticket MGK talked his way out of on Eagle Jay! ;D 

jfisherman - at any point, did the caretaker indicate to you in your visit that wardens routinely patrol that area and maybe you shouldn't be gone from your traps to long?  Just curious.

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Such a beautiful lake with a great back woods feel to it.  shame the wardens had to give you a hard time on that technicality that is really a grey area.  I agree, i'd fight that one. might not win, but maybe the warden would re-think handing out a ticket to the next guy.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2018, 12:17 PM »
sounds like he had a bad day before seeing you. that's horsesh_t.I'd go in and have my day in court.
 Sympathize also with the trailer, been there done that, except the law wouldn't let us drag it with the rig we came up with. right at the bottom of Knight's Hill rd. Had to abandon trailer and get across Kezar on foot and pay a welder plenty.

Be on the big empty in the am in the hurricane

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2018, 12:42 PM »
No the care taker said nothing about wardens checking it much in fact he said Wednesday was the most people he had scene in there all winter! The warden was a female nice enough lady, but at the same time giving us a hard time, we had 10 traps in we also had a flasher with a few jig poles laying on the ice An she said I have a hard time believing u guys have not been jigging, I said no we have not jigged set the flasher up for a few minutes to see if we could locate smelts an that was it. I was just happy to be in there I wanted to drink a few corona’s an enjoy the weather. If we caught anything it was a bonus. I’m definitely thinking about challenging it I know ultimately I will pay the fine. Maybe if i said really ur going to give me a ticket for that An questioned her she would of re thought it. I talked to a warden out of patten earlier this year An seemed like a super good guy, actually told me I should try matagamons so that’s  my next big adventure in a few weeks camping out on the ice. Run into a nice guy on kezar an east grand, this lady was nice too but at the same time busting r balls on minor stuff! I love to ice fish I work an ice fish that’s all I do all winter it just sucks I gotta pay a fine for something so weak An the fine absolutely does not fit the crime. I can see if I went trail riding or went to the store or something but I was shooting the breeze with a fellow fisherman still in site of my traps An I gotta piss 150$ away! So after she left I was watching the guy across from me an I could see everyone of his traps An I really started to get mad like r u kidding me. You can make an exception to that rule. To me that rule is in place so you don’t go out of site of ur traps for long periods of time. I know a judge would never give me the time of day An the only way I get out of it is if the warden does not show up. I gotta pick up an extra shift to pay a fine I don’t think is warranted in my opinion. Maybe if I could talk to the guy in Patton an said I would absolutely give u a fine I would agree with it.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:04 PM »
No the care taker said nothing about wardens checking it much in fact he said Wednesday was the most people he had scene in there all winter! The warden was a female nice enough lady, but at the same time giving us a hard time, we had 10 traps in we also had a flasher with a few jig poles laying on the ice An she said I have a hard time believing u guys have not been jigging, I said no we have not jigged set the flasher up for a few minutes to see if we could locate smelts an that was it. I was just happy to be in there I wanted to drink a few corona’s an enjoy the weather. If we caught anything it was a bonus. I’m definitely thinking about challenging it I know ultimately I will pay the fine. Maybe if i said really ur going to give me a ticket for that An questioned her she would of re thought it. I talked to a warden out of patten earlier this year An seemed like a super good guy, actually told me I should try matagamons so that’s  my next big adventure in a few weeks camping out on the ice. Run into a nice guy on kezar an east grand, this lady was nice too but at the same time busting r balls on minor stuff! I love to ice fish I work an ice fish that’s all I do all winter it just sucks I gotta pay a fine for something so weak An the fine absolutely does not fit the crime. I can see if I went trail riding or went to the store or something but I was shooting the breeze with a fellow fisherman still in site of my traps An I gotta piss 150$ away! So after she left I was watching the guy across from me an I could see everyone of his traps An I really started to get mad like r u kidding me. You can make an exception to that rule. To me that rule is in place so you don’t go out of site of ur traps for long periods of time. I know a judge would never give me the time of day An the only way I get out of it is if the warden does not show up. I gotta pick up an extra shift to pay a fine I don’t think is warranted in my opinion. Maybe if I could talk to the guy in Patton an said I would absolutely give u a fine I would agree with it.

It's such a discretionary thing, I would just pay it and call it as lesson learned.  Remember, it doesn't say unattended traps anymore it says all lines must be under immediate supervision of the person who set them, not your buddy watching them for you, etc.  I can assure you, she observed your behavior LONG before popping down onto the ice surface. ;)  I always chuckle when I hear people say they have never seen a warden ice fishing...... well, they have seen you! ;D

You should p.m. Fishpaws about the true definition of unattended lines! :o ;D

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:38 PM »
Bummer! An adventure nonetheless. Next week I'll tell you a long story of an encounter I had with GW on Spencer 30 plus years ago. We trolled it twice last year and got good salmon numbers dragging smelt but nothing over 16...
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline Trout4evah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:13 PM »

Going up to Mattagamon the last week of the season. went up last year as well. Joe and Sue at the campground are awesome people to stay with, and is definitely a fun lake to fish. There's a few places to stay away from due to the water moves rips through that lake pretty good,  Joe will gladly point out on a map for you if you go. - Tight Lines!

Offline Gettinjiggy1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:33 PM »
 My group fish is Spencer at least twice a year...  Beautiful lake.    Rarely do we ever see anybody in there let alone a warden.   Quite the contrary during bird hunting season.  Learned that one the hard way ,  anyway ,  my personal opinion is that you shouldn't have gotten a ticket.  That's a little harsh
Flaaaaaaaaag!!!

Offline RMoore85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:39 PM »
That is a pretty weak reason to fine someone.  Inattention to a trap should not be considered "leaving" your traps.  If you were on the ice within eyesight of your traps, that should be good enough.  I always understood it that if you had a "line of sight" to your traps, and had a reasonable opportunity to see them, that should be good enough.  Hell I have had longer conversations with wardens before on the ice where neither of us even glanced at my traps. 

But what the hell do I know...

Once again --  Government knows best...

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:29 PM »

You should p.m. Fishpaws about the true definition of unattended lines! :o ;D

No PM needed. I smirked when I saw this. A few years ago up to Ross, before the 30 minute grace period, a bunch of us were fishing mid-lake. It got slow and I decided to go take a pee and a little loop down the lake to see if any anybody had fished that end. I got to the end of the lake, rounded my turn to head back and sled died. At that point I was gone for prolly 5 minutes. But far enough away I would have needed the Hubble Telescope to see my party let alone my traps.
After pulling 5 or 6 thousand times the sled would start, run a few hundred feet & die. After I don't know, an hour? Two? Thirty minutes? I arrived back at the party, a little peeved no-one came to rescue me. There was an extra guy sitting there on a ski doo. Yep, the GW. Really nice guy but wrote it up.
I was pissed at myself, first and last summons. Some folks said I should challenge that cause my sled broke. Owners of Ross said they would call & ask him to drop. I disagreed, it was black & white.
The next day we got all set up and some guys wanted to go get firewood and wanted me to help. I said are you effen kidding me!? I'm not leaving site of these traps! The funniest part, the GW had already been up there watching us again! Haha.
Is that at all accurate Eric? I was so pissed at myself all weekend my memory could be blurred. Just insult to the dead sled injury. Ended up being the coil.
Oh, doesn't seem like Jfisherman was B&W. Hard to prove now tho. To challenge it you'd prolly have to drive to the Somerset (or is it Aroostook) courthouse.   
Off topic, I'm still wondering how the fishin was off kettle cove.             

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Cool story Fishpaws! Not sure if I will challenge it. I know I’m going to pay the fine. For Somerset the court house is in skowhegan, which is a 40 min ride. No idea how much the fine is. But way more than it should be. Definitely seems like a violation to make some money for the Fish An game or wherever the money goes.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2018, 08:12 PM »
No PM needed. I smirked when I saw this. A few years ago up to Ross, before the 30 minute grace period, a bunch of us were fishing mid-lake. It got slow and I decided to go take a pee and a little loop down the lake to see if any anybody had fished that end. I got to the end of the lake, rounded my turn to head back and sled died. At that point I was gone for prolly 5 minutes. But far enough away I would have needed the Hubble Telescope to see my party let alone my traps.
After pulling 5 or 6 thousand times the sled would start, run a few hundred feet & die. After I don't know, an hour? Two? Thirty minutes? I arrived back at the party, a little peeved no-one came to rescue me. There was an extra guy sitting there on a ski doo. Yep, the GW. Really nice guy but wrote it up.
I was pissed at myself, first and last summons. Some folks said I should challenge that cause my sled broke. Owners of Ross said they would call & ask him to drop. I disagreed, it was black & white.
The next day we got all set up and some guys wanted to go get firewood and wanted me to help. I said are you effen kidding me!? I'm not leaving site of these traps! The funniest part, the GW had already been up there watching us again! Haha.
Is that at all accurate Eric? I was so pissed at myself all weekend my memory could be blurred. Just insult to the dead sled injury. Ended up being the coil.
Oh, doesn't seem like Jfisherman was B&W. Hard to prove now tho. To challenge it you'd prolly have to drive to the Somerset (or is it Aroostook) courthouse.   
Off topic, I'm still wondering how the fishin was off kettle cove.           

No, that about covers it, we've all been guilty, some times it gets you some times it doesn't , the only thing you left out was the "cute, cuddly animals," miss Buddah and the rest of you guys, hope all is well. :tipup:

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2018, 04:19 AM »
Cool story Fishpaws! Not sure if I will challenge it. I know I’m going to pay the fine. For Somerset the court house is in skowhegan, which is a 40 min ride. No idea how much the fine is. But way more than it should be. Definitely seems like a violation to make some money for the Fish An game or wherever the money goes.
By not challenging it you allow this BS to continue in the future. If you could see your traps then it’s total BS and if the distance was 400 or even 500 that’s within your sight. The fact is she was pissed because she thought you were jigging and could not pinch you for fishing 6 lines so she trumped up other BS.
There are a lot of great wardens out there but there are more then one that need to be culled. I had a retired marine patrol warden tell me that many times they would wright a bogus ticket just because they knew it would cost more to fight it then paying the fine. At least you should call the head office and talk to them about the officer and see if there is another avenue.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline gldndemon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 03, 2018, 09:05 AM »
400 YARDS IS 4 FOOTBALL FIELDS , PAY THE FINE & STOP CRYING !

Offline nateicefisherman1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 03, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Is the “30” minute grace period any where in writing ? I swear I saw it on here once.

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2018, 08:53 AM »
20180303_120756.jpeg
400 YARDS IS 4 FOOTBALL FIELDS , PAY THE FINE & STOP CRYING !
I’m guessing u don’t do much ice fishing that is not that far away! Unless u grew up fishing beaver ponds ur whole life! If I fight it would be for the other fisherman getting busted for the same dumb crap. Yes there r things I probably could of gotten a ticket for just like everyone else has, I know I’m going to pay the fine regardless but at least I can show up An day I disagree with this type of fine!

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:09 AM »
There has to be plenty of people that on a slow fishing day they get on there sled an go visit a few groups, see how things r going. My attention was to be gone 5 minuets max, like I was saying I didn’t think I was in the wrong I was still in view of my traps, the person I was talking too had a lot of good info probably not worth 180$ worth but I weren’t far away at all! U can say stop crying all u want until it happens to you! Wardens have a job to do an I do respect them but certain things they could let slide! The thing is on something like that it might be 50/50 I’m on the side that I don’t think something like that warrants someone paying a good amount of money for! If I choose to fight it, it would not be to get out of paying the money it would be for other fisherman that get in the same situation. I have a good job, I make decent money. Trust me the easy way would be to pay the money an forget about it.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I am no fan of the Warden Service but it might depend on how long "roughly 30 minutes" actually was.  I'd suspect that, as gamefisher said, she was watching you a lot longer than most might realize.   You gabbing with another party 4-500 yards away might also not be considered "under immediate supervision."   I don't know.  I thought it was either Loves to Fish or Scalloper that posted an email from the head of the Warden Service to field staff about the grace period. 

I also thought the grace period was really intended to go pick someone up, go to the bathroom, forgot something somewhere.  Not to be a social butterfly and roam around the lake.  Either that or you caught her on a bad day.  I'm not picking sides either.

I met up with FishPaws, gamefisher, and that crew on Ross the next day.  They are a rough crowd. :o

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I looked in the official Maine Fishing Laws book and could not find anything referencing a 30 minute rule but here is what I does say and I would focus on the word immediate I guess.... I’m not siding either way here just contributing relevant information.

Page 7
Supervision of Lines: All lines must be under the immediate supervision of the person who set them.

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2018, 12:16 PM »
So what is that if u have a camp on a lake u can’t put traps out a couple hundred yards an watch or that u cant  be in ur camp at all? It’s like a bunch of people sat around a table an said we need an easier way to start generating money for the state!

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Had 2 wardens come by my hardside about 30 yards in front of my camp, they looked inside,nobody there, and obviously saw a bunch of traps all around it. I came out of my camp and yelled from the deck, they came by and checked licenses, took a couple photos and left, no problems at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.