Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy Creek Ice  (Read 23274 times)

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brushy Creek Ice
« Reply #180 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:41 PM »
I drove down to the north end monday and it was still open water 5-6 ft around the edges. around the trees is open or just crusted over. I haven't heard or seen anyone out there since march 8th and wouldnt recommend it. I am gonna try one more trip up to okoboji this weekend and prolly hang it up for the year and get out the long rods.
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Mar 20, 2013, 07:08 AM »
drove on brushy this am. well the front of the truck anyway. about a foot out. but who knows how thick it is around the trees. no one fishing. you can probably walk out. be careful.

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:16 AM »
drove on brushy this am. well the front of the truck anyway. about a foot out. but who knows how thick it is around the trees. no one fishing. you can probably walk out. be careful.
x2 didnt drive on it but walked on it.Around the trees are probably pretty sketchy still. still no one fishing tho.
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #183 on: Mar 20, 2013, 10:19 AM »
How do u drive on if it is open 5-6 ft around the edges?

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:11 PM »
it refroze :o :o :o

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #185 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Lol. In one day it goes from 5-6' open water to being able to support truck tires. My ice charts must be jacked:) thanks for the truck tire report, I've been watching my weather app up there, and liking what I'm seeing.

Offline jsdad1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Mar 20, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I drove down this morning to check things out, i saw the track at the north ramp and thoyght it was kind of odd. It has refroze and you probably can get out but as far as I am concerned any attempt to ice fish is just plain wreckless.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #187 on: Mar 20, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Grizz, what do u know; u and your buddy going on Friday like usual?

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:00 PM »
not sure. was there to get a report at 5 pm. 2 guys went off the point at the west campground. looked like they were on #3 bridge. no one on north end.  [edit changed bridge number]

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #189 on: Mar 21, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Sent ya a pm Grizz

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Mar 21, 2013, 09:36 PM »
sent one back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #191 on: Mar 22, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Grizz and I just got off of the lake 45 minutes ago. Had the entire lake to ourselves(prob due to internet scares), till two other adventurous souls came out. I measured 14" of great, perfect, solid, good as it gets; ice. We walked out. The fishing was slower then in the past visits. After Grizz and I parted, I drove my truck out on the west boat ramp, just far enough out, to put all 4 tires on the ice; just to say I did it.  ;D I would not hesitate to drive a 4 wheeler or snowmobile out there, but use your own judgement. I observed no open water, none; even around any trees, and no standing water what so ever, on the ice. I also never went to the north end, and stayed on the west side, cause that's where we wanted to fish.  Basically glare ice, with 1/2 " skiffs of snow here and there. Good luck fellas and gals!!

Offline Hobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Thanks for the accurate update.  Hope to head down there in the a.m.

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Mar 23, 2013, 02:16 AM »
Had the entire lake to ourselves(prob due to internet scares),

OR the fact that there has been open water around it from March 10 till March 18. Then refroze with the cold temps we have been having.
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #194 on: Mar 23, 2013, 09:05 AM »
 We drilled a couple dozen holes yesterday, solid 14",and the ice was not sketchy or honeycombed. The ice didn't even stress  when I drove my truck on it. I gave a report from ACTUALLY going out on the lake yesterday, instead of the couch or behind the steering wheel, never getting out of the truck reports. Stay home if u don't like the idea of going out. For those that do want an actual report, I gave it. Lol, it's that simple.

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Mar 23, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Theres no doubt the ice is still safe now. All i was saying is there was no way you were getting out onto the ice from the 10th through 18th unless you planned on getting a boat to get you to it or swimming. Thanks for an ACTUAL report of CURRENT conditions which is what i gave at the beginning of the week. No i didn't get out of the truck monday no need to nor did i drill on wed since i wasn't fishing. Its good to know we have people willing to get off the couch and out of their truck to give a more accurate ice report.
Stay safe everyone who ventures onto brushy!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Mar 23, 2013, 09:55 AM »
+current under ice because of creek flowing and finally going over spillw ay again. Just saying. Might be a reason some are staying off.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #197 on: Mar 23, 2013, 05:28 PM »
Well, we learned something new to day, but fishing was poor for us in our old stomping grounds. We met some real nice guys, that had driven a long way. Honest to God, they stated that they had almost not come, due to negative reports on Ia sportsman, and IA DNR. Said they had never heard of ice shanty. Anyway, we started off on the west side of the lake in the am. Did a lot of drilling and exploring trying to mark fish. Ice was 14-14 1/2" every where we drilled. We then reloaded up, and headed for the north side. Walking out a few yds, we could see the ice depth was approx 8", from some previous guy that had drilled a hole. There were 4 guys already fishing out 125 yds. We fished anywhere from 100  to 300 yds out from the north ramp. Did a lot of walking and ice trolling. The north end had some crusty stuff on top, but everything measured 14-14 1/2", of good quality solid ice. I'm not a big fan of fishing the trees, due to their warming action of nearby water. My buddy drilled a few holes around trees and measured 11" at the hole he is standing by in the pic, and the skimmer in the pic, came from the hole by him. I am sure, that you could get yourself in for a drink though, if u want to mess around the trees. I don't, cause I don't like them. Caught a few nice crapppies. Saw a total of 6 people on the lake.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #198 on: Mar 23, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Forgot to post the water fowl pics from today. Got to see a lot of trumpeter swans too.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #199 on: Mar 25, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Good to see you guys are lucky enough to have good ice still
Never to many short poles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #200 on: Mar 25, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Right on buddy! A buddy and I skipped out early at our jobs today, deciding we owed it to ourselves, to fit in a couple of hours of fishing.  We hit up the lake again, had it to ourselves, and the bite was fast and furious. It was our last outing for the season. Putting the hut up, too busy from here on out to ice fish. Man, what a year!! Ice fishing till the last week in March!

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Mar 25, 2013, 07:43 PM »
i can see that you are on bad ice! ;D ;D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #202 on: Mar 25, 2013, 07:56 PM »
i can see that you are on bad ice! ;D ;D
;D . Beautiful day, and what really made it cool, was I caught them on some newly hand painted lures I dreamt up. I'll show u later;)

Offline hardwaternick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Mar 26, 2013, 01:24 PM »
leaving Thursday morning to fish brushy or clear going to be any problems and are the crappies still in the creek channels was there 3 weeks ago and found them in 45 ft of water wanted to know if thats were they still are?

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Mar 26, 2013, 08:17 PM »
pm sent.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #205 on: Mar 26, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Ya I would have skipped out from work a lot if we had ice closer to my work . Our company is getting to busy but making money is a good thing I wil be able to get to go shopping for a lot of new stuff for next year. I'm always sad to see the season end but it was a lot better than last year at least this year I got 42 days on the ice instead of 2 weeks like last year
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.