Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ft.Dodge/Brushy creek area  (Read 15097 times)

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
Re: Ft.Dodge/Brushy creek area
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I was down to the big point across from campground.  It was still 12 inches of ice there.

might be time for the quad then

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:56 AM »
A buddy and I fished on 12-18 and 12-19. We were on the south side around the island, ice was 8-10 inches on backside of island and 6" on main lake side of island. Sat was slow, hard to find fish, and they were small. Sunday we did better, 12 walleyes kept 5 around 16 and 17". Got into some nice gills kept a half doz 9" or better, and a few nice crappie. Only iced 3 small perch the whole weekend and only 2 bass. Not sure where the perch were?? If you have an underwater camera use it, amazing how many spots had ZERO fish. Gotta keep moving to find the fish, Brushy is no longer a place to sit all day in one spot and hammer em' like we used to. Water clarity on the south end was great, we could see down 10-12' at least. All the 'eyes and big gills were caught together in 25' to 33' fow, most in 27' fow to be exact. Hope this helps, anyone needs any more info, let me know. Later.

Offline teddie143

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:07 PM »
where is the island at you come of the north boat ramp and walk south is that were yoyu are talking about

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Taylors Is is not on the north side, it is on the south side of the lake. Use the south boat ramp.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:56 PM »
where is the island at you come of the north boat ramp and walk south is that were yoyu are talking about

yeah, definately drive to the south side and use the south boat ramp.. Boy that'd be a long walk :cookoo: LOL...

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
  • spent most my life fishn rest have been wasted
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Fished few hrs today caught few keepers and alot of small gills,and alot of small crappies after dark all around 8" slowed up probably from the weather coming in shut them down hope to get out nxt few days if we dont get dumped on ,anyone else catchn?? :icefish: And no perch or eyes yet??

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Funny....Weve caught far more perch and walleyes than bluegills or crappies.  Guess we are just fishing different areas.

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:16 PM »
what depth ya fishn at just curious all my hott spots have not produced yet

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:18 PM »
hoping to head over tomorrow.. gunna start down south and if nothin shows up then head up to the north end.

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:56 PM »
headn tommorrow afternoon anyone been in the last cpl days and hows the ice ,fishn reports??

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:57 PM »
i was wondering the conditions also.  Plan on going Thursday and wondering if we can use the 4 wheeler.

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:03 AM »
i will have a report for ya tommorrow night taking the 4whlr  and hopefully catch some fish

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2010, 10:21 AM »
4 wheelers have been on the lake for over a week. Heck I saw a small truck on the ice on the north side over a week ago. Just be carefull on the "big water", we got into some5-6" ice on Sunday. Most areas we have been are at least 10". Hope this helps. Good luck.

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 29, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Thanks for the reports. Gonna drive down there early tomorrow morning and hope to catch a few.  Havent had much luck this year only bringing home fish once in about 6 outings! >:(   I think i seen that truck on there too a week or so ago.  They pulled a permy up to the boat ramp and left it. I seen what looked like the same shack on craigslist last week.

Offline EyesMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:19 PM »
4whl got around ok without chains ,cpl trucks out in the middle on the rock pile east of campgrounds :unsure: caught walleyes and perch first of the yr for here 27-30 ft and a few bull bluegill ,minnows and waxies  goodluck

Offline THUNDERICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Where and How do you fish for Walleyes at Brushy Creek?

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:32 PM »
buy a map from mike at duncombe gas and grocery....$5...really good starting places.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Check with Mike again, but when I was in there a month ago he said he had two maps left.  He gave me one, and said he was keeping the other and the DNR was not allowing him to sell any more.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:34 PM »
Check with Mike again, but when I was in there a month ago he said he had two maps left.  He gave me one, and said he was keeping the other and the DNR was not allowing him to sell any more.

That sucks....  a guy tries to do a good service and the dnr said no?

His map is a pretty good one also and it shows the contours nice..  Hopefully he can still get em out..

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:13 AM »
This was the newer map, with the flats and the turkey foot marked.  Not the older map with all the waypoints of rockpiles, brushpiles, etc.  Im not sure if the original is still available, but mike does have the new map posted above the bait tank, so you can still get a good look at it.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:01 AM »
This was the newer map, with the flats and the turkey foot marked.  Not the older map with all the waypoints of rockpiles, brushpiles, etc.  Im not sure if the original is still available, but mike does have the new map posted above the bait tank, so you can still get a good look at it.

That's cool...  havn't seen that one yet!

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:49 AM »
i've got one i laminated....and i'll only charge $2/ minute to look at it!!   ::)  jusk kidding.....if someone wants to get with me and pop a bunch of holes we can scout these things out together....i've only fished a couple of the piles.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:34 PM »
i've got one i laminated....and i'll only charge $2/ minute to look at it!!   ::)  jusk kidding.....if someone wants to get with me and pop a bunch of holes we can scout these things out together....i've only fished a couple of the piles.

Another guy and myself are thinking of going over to brushy tomorrow.  Wish the wind wasn't gunna be so bad but oh well...  Let me know if you'll be around..

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Why pay for a map when you can go here and download it for free?

http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/fishing/lakes/maps/brc94.pdf

That might be why DNR didn't want him to sell anymore...

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:12 PM »
Why pay for a map when you can go here and download it for free?

http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/fishing/lakes/maps/brc94.pdf

That might be why DNR didn't want him to sell anymore...

That is the original free map that you could get anywhere.  The 'new' map doesnt show those locations, it has coordinates for other locations.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Then why can't he sell them? ???

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 01, 2011, 12:34 AM »
No idea.  He just told me when I asked about buying one that he could no longer sell them.  He had one left, and gave it to me for buying all my bait there.

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:43 AM »
anybody here a rumor about a 11lb. walleye caught at brushy on fri.? theres supposed to be a text pic. floating around.

Offline teddie143

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:15 PM »
yea i heard the same thing but havnt seen the pic

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:54 PM »
If that Walleye catch holds true thats awesome news. With time Brushy has the potential to be a premiere Iowa Walleye destination/fishery. Personally I'd like to see it compete with the IGL's. The structure size and depths are going to produce some monsters - bet on it. We're fortunate to have it in this part of the state. I take my hat off to everyone involved with making the lake happen - really helps add a quality of life. Now only if we can get a few more of these projects put together just like it ;D
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.