New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413224 times)

Offline irl5fan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #2910 on: Feb 26, 2020, 11:50 AM »
Does anyone have any ice report updates as of today?  Anyone on the ice?  How's the shore ice?  I know we're supposed to drop below freezing again tonight through the weekend so I was hoping if the ice was decent right now it would just get better now through Sunday.  We were looking to make a trip from Ohio this weekend.  We were up 2 weeks ago and there was 7".  Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Offline wnyicer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2911 on: Feb 26, 2020, 03:45 PM »
Rain turning to snow with lots of wind. Going to be slush fest.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2912 on: Feb 26, 2020, 05:06 PM »
Sounds like a heavy, snow is coming, so maybe really hard walking if they get as much as forecasted....

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2913 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:16 PM »
My mayville weather says blizzard warning. 1-2 feet of snow. We really should have went last weekend.  Lol.  Mark :tipup:

Offline irl5fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2914 on: Feb 26, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Wow, more snow than I saw in the forecast!  So what I'm looking for is if anyone knows how thick the ice is right now after the warm-up and rain.  Doesn't look like any re-freeze / thickening will happen with all that snow.  Trying to determine if it is safe and fish-able in areas. 

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2915 on: Feb 26, 2020, 08:39 PM »
I was at mayville solo Sunday, not as many people out as I thought would be. Top was definitely getting soft walking off but there was still good ice underneath. I’d imagine it’s no better today than Sunday evening, was planning a Monday trip back up from Ohio but will monitor the snow totals through Saturday. I’m hoping the blizzard warning is just hype bc id like to get back out again

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #2916 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:02 PM »
I was at mayville solo Sunday, not as many people out as I thought would be. Top was definitely getting soft walking off but there was still good ice underneath. I’d imagine it’s no better today than Sunday evening, was planning a Monday trip back up from Ohio but will monitor the snow totals through Saturday. I’m hoping the blizzard warning is just hype bc id like to get back out again
Doesnt appear to by hype.. schools are getting closed left and right... guess we will see if the weatherman is right or not

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2917 on: Feb 26, 2020, 09:14 PM »
If it doesn’t happen for me Monday, that’s alright. I had 3 trips up caught a bunch (only kept 25 in those trips) but had a great time walking on NY water again. Good luck to anyone that does get out this wkend. 🎣

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2918 on: Feb 26, 2020, 10:43 PM »
Does anyone have any ice report updates as of today?  Anyone on the ice?  How's the shore ice?  I know we're supposed to drop below freezing again tonight through the weekend so I was hoping if the ice was decent right now it would just get better now through Sunday.  We were looking to make a trip from Ohio this weekend.  We were up 2 weeks ago and there was 7".  Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Chautauqua is forecasted to get 12-14"of snow but the weather stations in WNY say it could get up to 24" by Saturday morning.   If you need an up to date ice or fish report and this thread doesn't tell you what you want to know call the bait & tackle shop on the lake:

Hogan's Hut
3503 Old Bridge Rd, Stow, NY 14785
(716) 789-3831
6:00 am ~ 10:00 pm daily

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2919 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:18 AM »
Any reports on snow totals on the ice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2920 on: Feb 29, 2020, 12:31 PM »

Photo taken Wednesday at end of meadows rd be carefull

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2921 on: Feb 29, 2020, 04:23 PM »

Photo taken Wednesday at end of meadows rd be carefull

That is where Dewitville Creek flows into the lake and doesn't look very good.  Large open area like that allows the main ice to shift and open up pressure cracks or open at shore on opposite side. 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2922 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:30 PM »
Any fishermen that came off at Mayville or Lakeside Park late in the day, could you give a shore ice and snow report.  Thanks in advance.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2923 on: Feb 29, 2020, 10:29 PM »
Meadows rd had 40 geese swimming around Monday. Personally I would spud anywhere I went. This time of year I`m more concerned with ice strength than thickness. Fell through 5" of white ice. Clearer the better!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2924 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:29 PM »
How’s the ice down that way? Trying to sneak in one more trip before it’s all over.
Usually fish out of Mayville.
Thank you.

You only have 2 posts so you can not access the Fishing Reports and Conditions page.  There was only one report Sat from Mayville and it said the shore ice was very bad and guys were getting wet in order to get on and off.  There was about a foot of snow with slush underneath that required a Smitty sled or the drag was brutal.  You can call Hogan's Hut Bait Shop for up to date ice info.

Hogan's Hut
3503 Old Bridge Rd, Stow, NY 14785
(716) 789-3831
6:00 am ~ 10:00 pm daily

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2925 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:06 PM »
I’ve wrapped up my fishing season, unfortunately. I’d like to thank all of you who posted conditions/success on this thread. Had 3 trips to Chautauqua, always wish there was more. If I measured time gas money spent on bait etc on those trips to what I kept it wouldn’t even come close to adding up. But for me it’s not about that, I enjoyed walking on your waters again. Can’t wait til next season! Good luck to all who can still get out 🎣

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2926 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Hate to hear you were harrassed. Report conditions when u can. Need to get rid of a lot of stunted perch. Over 90% of the lake isn`t even fished. Maybe more.

Offline treesparrow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2927 on: Mar 02, 2020, 08:00 PM »
Fished Chatauqua three times this year and quite enjoyed myself. Met some great guys and had fair fishing success.
Shortest season I have had in years. I guess we take what we get. I looked at extended weather and put my gear away. Till next year all you hearty souls, and enjoy what comes between.

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #2928 on: Mar 06, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Fished some coontail beds in a nonherbicide treated location in the North Basin 2 weeks ago with Larry The Firefighter. We’re not limnologists, but here is a picture of a possible amphibod or scud we observed. The weeds we’d pull up were teaming with these macroinvertebrates. Here’s a rhetorical question: What happens to all of these, and other organisms in this habitat, if the weeds are eliminated?

Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #2929 on: Mar 06, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Should have read teeming rather than teaming.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2930 on: Mar 07, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Saw people out today as I drove over the bridge.  Bemus.   I miss it already

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2931 on: Mar 07, 2020, 08:26 PM »
I saw a couple guys out as I drove by.. they alperead to be out center lake across from predergast
Absolutely crazy in my opinion

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2932 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:04 PM »
Any ice forming on the Lake yet? 🎣

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2933 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:20 PM »
Even if there was... the future weather forcast does not look good at all
Fingers crossed something changes

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2934 on: Dec 28, 2020, 08:23 PM »
A friend of mine was there duck hunting out of a boat on Saturday. He was out of the north end. It’s been breezy so it may be a while yet.

Offline Gregkfe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2935 on: Dec 29, 2020, 05:03 AM »
I'm also looking for someone to go with to check ice. I'm available any day any time . just let me know when and where

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2936 on: Dec 29, 2020, 08:13 AM »

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2937 on: Dec 29, 2020, 01:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys,  let’s hope this up n down weather pattern changes soon. Need to walk on water again soon 🎣🎣

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2938 on: Dec 31, 2020, 10:55 PM »
Here’s the Burtis Bay webcam. http://www.eastlakewoodweather.com/cameras/camera50.html

Burtis Bay web cam is for the South basin not much good for the North basin, Mayville Pendorquast, Long point and etc.  Is there an active web cam in the North end?

Offline Frankie Bags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2939 on: Jan 01, 2021, 07:24 AM »
Burtis Bay web cam is for the South basin not much good for the North basin, Mayville Pendorquast, Long point and etc.  Is there an active web cam in the North end?
The Snowmobile Club has one in what I believe is the Mayville parking lot. It shows the shoreline. They used to have one that was facing the lake. Scroll to the bottom of the their page to see the live feed.
http://chautauquasnow.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.