The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New Reports Section....  (Read 678 times)

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
New Reports Section....
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:46 PM »
Anyone else feel like this new reports section will cause too many people to spill the beans on their favorite places? Be careful what you post, look at all the views of those lakes already, lots of eyes. If you post good reports, the lake will be filled with people that next weekend :(

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
Re: New Reports Section....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:53 AM »
Anyone else feel like this new reports section will cause too many people to spill the beans on their favorite places? Be careful what you post, look at all the views of those lakes already, lots of eyes. If you post good reports, the lake will be filled with people that next weekend :(

The Reports section is not new.  It's been there since 2005.  Only members with a few posts under their belts can view it.  Most of the posts on here give the location anyhow.  The main thing is the ice conditions reports, it's easy in the reports section to find the lake you want to fish rather than scroll through all of the posts under the general VT board.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Leafmountain10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:46 AM »
My 2 cents - forums are open source information sharing platforms.  It's give and take and up to you how much you share and/or take others information to the ice with you.  I do think if you are browsing around and taking much more than you are giving ... well lets let Carma and the fish Gods decide how well you do.

The reality is hunting and fishing is way down in our state and nationally.  More of us having better luck, not wasting as much time, and learning from each others experience is better for everyone in my opinion especially for our kids and the generations to come. 

That said I will be the first to admit I'm not going to give out the GPS coordinates to where I shot that 200 lb buck or found a matching set of moose antlers.  But a few fish ..... ? 

Especially after the horrible accident on Dunmore I agree with LBD that ice thickness and safety and key to share with everyone.   - I step down from my soapbox

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:07 AM »
I agree with the tragedy on Dunmore, thats a bad situation. I have found that the internet is a good way to "blow up" spots. I just hope everyone uses discretion in sharing their honey holes. Numbers of people hunting and fishing are UP this year, although lower than in the past....

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/why_hunting_numbers_are_up_bpnomKoCLbKaL2J9BaDjRP

Offline flaguptrouton

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Reports Section.. My 2 cents thanks 4 sharing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:47 PM »
I agree that it's not advantageous to let the world know about all your secret spots, but it's share and share alike.  Not to mention I have yet to find a secret spot without a sign that at one time or another that someone else has been there. I could find similar info by driving to every baitshop in the state and ask the same questions share the same stories and come up with the same info.  This board saves me a lot of time, helps me as fisherman make more informed decisions about where to spend my one day of freedom doing what I love.  It's hard to venture out of what you know, and nice to know there's others out there willing to share.  So Thank you to all who have shared stories, advice, conditions, and their spots.  It is a sport of great comradery in my experience and you get what you give, and I hope that everyone that's out there gets their fair share of flags up, pails full, and arms tired from the fish that sometimes elude us. Cheers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.