Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Kansas to Iowa  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
Kansas to Iowa
« on: Jan 11, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Hi guys, I am from the Topeka Kansas area, (Overbrook) and was wanting to maybe head to Iowa for some decent gill fishing.
Can anyone point me in the right direction, I am doing my homework, but would also like your advice. Thanks for any help

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kansas to Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:43 PM »
From Topeka,  SW Iowa is your best bet. Soooo with that said. Little River by Leon is your best spot to catch your gills. North end in the trees. Good luck

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2018, 09:00 PM »
Thanks GB, got plenty of gills around here, but I cant find any 8 to 10 inchers, love fishing for them, you gonna get out this weekend, did good on
Pomona last Sunday morning, gonna try and venture out Sunday  afternoon depending on ice.

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2018, 10:01 PM »
Man, gotta say, Im a little disappointed in you Iowa fellas! Had to get info from a fella that lives in Kansas to point in a direction.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2018, 10:40 AM »
How far into IA are you wanting to travel? Beaver Lake near Dexter, off I 80, has decent Bluegill population. Crappie is fair. Also, you might want to check the Iowa DNR website. They post a weekly fishing report with up to date information.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2018, 09:34 PM »
nw missouri has some pretty good crappie as well as some good gills at some conservation areas.  they are well stocked but you have to walk into them but have done it quite a bit so far this season. 

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:08 AM »
It depends how you define good gill fishing.  Plenty of gills throughout the state, but outside of farm ponds, quality gills in lakes that get a lot of public pressure will require a lot of sorting and luck.   If you are on Facebook, or your son is, join Ice Fishing Iowa, Passion for Panfish and pose the same question.  I am only on FB for the ice fishing groups, but they are viewed more often and likely will receive a higher response rate.  I am in Eastern Iowa and won't be much help to you. 

Offline Pomona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for the information guys, I am going to  try and get something put together

Offline iabubba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2018, 09:59 PM »
yellow smoke in Denison has some big gills,okoboji could be good,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.