The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice thickness  (Read 1501 times)

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice thickness
« on: Dec 30, 2023, 12:53 PM »
Caribou, Chesuncook 1,5" of ice and 3" of slush on top and its still snowing

Offline grub662

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya got any smelts?
Re: Ice thickness
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2023, 04:48 PM »
Be patient it will happen.
If you fish the wrong lure long and hard enough it will eventually become the right lure!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2024, 03:41 PM »
Crappies Friday and Sunday!!! Whitefish first of next week, if the friggin togue and salmon don't become a nuisance!   :o :thumbsup: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2024, 04:14 PM »
1 1/2" of clear, strong, ice in my cove on Upper Range. There were people fishing by the boat ramp and others ice skating around the whole pond.
I don't know how much ice they were on but I didn't walk out very far from shore before deciding that was far enough for me.
Middle Range is still 1/2 open water.
Too bad we didn't get a solid 6" of good ice before this snow and rain gets here. I can't get to the trails on my snowmobile until the pond ice is safe. And I don't see that happening in the near future. :-(

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2024, 05:48 PM »
1 1/2" of clear, strong, ice in my cove on Upper Range. There were people fishing by the boat ramp and others ice skating around the whole pond.
I don't know how much ice they were on but I didn't walk out very far from shore before deciding that was far enough for me.
Middle Range is still 1/2 open water.
Too bad we didn't get a solid 6" of good ice before this snow and rain gets here. I can't get to the trails on my snowmobile until the pond ice is safe. And I don't see that happening in the near future. :-(
Thanks, that saved me the trip to check on Monday after the snow. I’m sure it won’t be enough for me to be comfortable with it by then. I don’t have much hope for even the small ponds around southern Maine either.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2024, 07:02 PM »
This morning (JANUARY 6th) I took a flight around southern Maine to see how the lakes and ponds were set for ice before tonight's snow covers them up. 
The flight went from Auburn to Limington to Sanford to Fryeburg to Oxford then back to Auburn.  So I must have seen over 30 lakes and ponds in that area.  Spotting altitude was about 2,500 ft, so I got a clear view of each body of water.

The important thing to note is that NONE has safe ice. 

Most of the bodies of water had no ice except in small coves, and that ice was very thin with spring holes visible
Spring holes are very visible from above.

Sebago was pretty much wide open except a couple of tiny coves.

Long lake in Harrison had the most ice cover that I saw today but there wasn't a single area that had continuous ice from shoreline to shoreline in any direction. I wouldn't have trusted the ice on that lake. It has spring holes too.

Posting this in case it is helpful.  Once the snow covers what little ice there is, the thickness will be hard to determine.
Anywere south of Auburn and Fryeburg cannot be trusted for safe ice.   I didn't fly north of these areas so I can't say what the ice is like. 

Hope we get some clear cold nights to get the lakes and ponds to set up. 

:tipup:

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Great update... saw some folks fishing Crystal Lake in Gray today. Thin us hope nobody dunked.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2024, 07:50 PM »
I went onto my Farm pond today and cut tru 3" of solid ice. This snow will mess up Range pond and Little sebago for sure, with rain coming a few day later ,this will make some slush for sure..

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2024, 08:30 PM »
A  big problem is the high water  causing water to run a lot more in Brooks and spring holes which will not freeze. But with this coming snow people not familar with not be able  to see them with this coming snow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.