Author Topic: crappies that wont bite  (Read 4011 times)

Offline superstock_53

• IceShanty Rookie
  • shake and bake
crappies that wont bite
« on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:05 AM »
been out for the past couple days from 4 to mid nite and trying to catch this dang crappies.. caught a couple but there are so much more to be caught.. the vexlair is just light up like a Christmas tree and i just cant get them to bite.. i have tried plastics wax worms red spikes fatheads many jig changes and still no luck on them.. any one have any ideals that could help catch these crappies thanks

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: crappies that wont bite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:56 AM »
They may stage in numbers in one place but actually be feeding elsewhere. Move, figure out where and what they're feeding on and be there

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:06 AM »
been out for the past couple days from 4 to mid nite and trying to catch this dang crappies.. caught a couple but there are so much more to be caught.. the vexlair is just light up like a Christmas tree and i just cant get them to bite.. i have tried plastics wax worms red spikes fatheads many jig changes and still no luck on them.. any one have any ideals that could help catch these crappies thanks

i find little icicles deadly ....  either on a bare hook or a tiny jig
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:54 AM »
probably not in a feeding zone...drill....drill. ..drill....if i could tell you more..i would...but once you find where they feed at night...dont tell anyone...or you will not be alone.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2013, 11:15 AM »
They do the same thing out here. I was told and tried it out that the fish at about 10 fOW bite and the ones on the bottom do not. There are a lot less at the 10 foot mark but they do bite better then the ones on the bottom.
<===Lefty===

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2013, 03:21 PM »
Even in shallow water I find the above to often be true. Most of my best fish are taken 3-5ft off bottom in ten fow. If they rise up right away they usually hit. Sometimes you have to coax them. Then again, sometimes they are biting right on bottom; you can't really make hard and fast rules with these fish; remain flexible and try as many tactics as possible. When you get it right they will let you know!

Offline walkndude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Time spent getting sniffers to bite is just time wasted that could be spent searching and finding active feeders.

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2013, 07:54 PM »

Have you consistenly caught them in this body of water in that time frame all winter ? I've fished 3 different lakes here, and 2 out the 3 if I'm not there in the pre-dawn or at dusk into very early evening I'm not catching any, except maybe a few.The other 1 is a daytime bite , from 14 fow to 35, with some suspended some right near bottom. In lakes 1 and 2 most all of them are susupended, and flasher will be lit up in all 3 lakes. 

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:46 PM »
I purchased a camera this year and was able to see how they were reacting to my baits. It's been slow here and a good old fashioned night crawler landed four this evening. I have some awesome video of what I wold call heart attacks of me begging them to bite.  A spring bobber is the first thing for light bites and I would start there. Good luck,..,

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2013, 09:58 PM »
I would normally say go smaller, but just I landed two on a #5 Chubby Darter, one was 13" and the next 14";

I often find a horizontal presentation is what they are keying in on...

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Most anglers usually think going smaller is the answer. And while I do use some smaller offerings, it's usually the larger baits that get me bites.The calendar may say March but fish are putting the so called feed bag on getting ready for the spawn.

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2013, 03:28 PM »
Same kinda thing happen to me yesterday. Lots of fish few bites,
Kept at it got some but very slow, tryed very thing they just where not biting.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2013, 07:04 PM »
I don't like sitting on top of schooling/staging fish.  They tend to not bite.  When they do, they tend to be some runts.  Sometimes moving 50 yrds to 200 yrds, you will hit the feeding spot and those fish will be biters.  Sometimes these other spots will have a huge school there as well, sometimes it's just a wave of fish here and there.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.