Author Topic: Could ya help me find some?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline mschma000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Could ya help me find some?
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:38 AM »
I would love to fish this lake more, the only thing is I can never get them to bite during the Winter!  The only time I can seem to find the Crappie here is during the Spawn in shallow watter.  They are Black crappie.  I Have had a hard time finding structure or weeds out in anything deeper then 5 FOW. I few years ago we ran into a nice school in about 22 FOW just south of those blue little squares, and they have not been back since! 

Now there is current that comes from the lake in the south east and goes to the lake on the North West.  If anyone has any ideas as to where ya would start to look, it would give me some more motivation to get back out there! 

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Could ya help me find some?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:45 PM »
I'd start in working the base of the drop off near the inlet and outlet first, then move to the U bend in the southern corner, or the inside corners of the point. They should be in all those spots. Next check the basin just outside the point. If all those fail at prime times start working the main basin areas with the one off the point being the first to check, work your way up to the necked down area. 20-30 ft of water should be your key depths.  Keep us posted. This is for COLD water/ice.

What is the main forage base???? Muck, or hard bottom???

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:27 PM »
Like the area between the top 2 circles and the stretch between them, at worst very Perchy or Bull 'gills. I look and do well in that type of situation. Food base is the key. That lake in the lower left looks interesting

Offline mschma000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Bottom is all Muck,  Lake has primarily Black Crappie, Bass, and Small gills.  Thanks for the pointers guys, I will go out there and start doing to drillin tomorrow and let ya know how I do!

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:37 PM »
If it is all Muck, you may do better fishing around the deepest parts of the basins and using plankton imitating jigs. Try the areas suggested above first, if they are roaming the basins you should cross paths with them anyhow. Keep moving, don't set up over an area unless you are making well and have a few takers.

Offline fishinmajician

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:13 AM »
I suggest you go to the cottage this weekend and buy a couple of cases of beer for your uncle Joe.If he has enough beers in him he will teach you all his secrets.If the crappies are not biting you can just go back to the cabin and he can take your money in a poker game.See ya Saturday!There is always something biting at Coody Browns too.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:40 PM »
hey this is my first season ice fishing and fish multiple lakes that have mostly milfoil. where should i go for pike

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2011, 02:25 PM »
hey this is my first season ice fishing and fish multiple lakes that have mostly milfoil. where should i go for pike
Inside, outside edges or lanes between the two should hold some if not being a cruisers route

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2011, 04:15 PM »
I would start with the basins.  I almost always to find crappie in the basins although they are not always active, it seems to always hold a good population.

Offline fenwick2010

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Like someone has allready stated , try at the BASE of the drop off  around the outer edge of the points. If they dont show up there , Try up along the ledge itself. They most likely will be suspended around 10 ft off the bottom but it could differ. Get a fish finder  if you dont have one. Work from the bottom of the drop , to about halfway up. The key is finding them in the water colum with a flasher or fish finder . If they are there in spring , you will find them eventually ! For bait , I would start with something natural like wax worms on a vertical tear drop of some sort , then move to plastics like the little atom wedge on a horizontal jig. something big enough to seach for fish and then downsize. G luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.