Author Topic: Crappie Jigs  (Read 9271 times)

Offline gillcommander

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I DO NOT FEAR FISH !!!
Crappie Jigs
« on: Oct 20, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am kind of new to ice fishing last year I got the bug real bad and mainly started out targeting blue gills and feel pretty confident in my setups for catching them. I am really interested in doing some crappie fishing this winter. I have talked to guys and feel like I have a good idea on which lakes to chase them on. I have a Vexilar Fl-8...what I really need to know is what type of jigs I need to consider to entice the little devils. I was hoping if you have an extra few minutes you could let me know your top 2-3 jigs and what you normally tip them with for catching them.  I am going to be stocking up on some jigs prior to the season so any help would be great.

I plan on jigging for them aggressively, or not so aggressive depending on the situation, and possible dead sticking with either a minnow, waxworm, or spike with a slip bobber. Thanks in advance!!

It's a fine line between fishing & sitting on the ice like an idiot

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Crappie Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2010, 06:05 PM »
CJ&S Diamond jig in red glow tipped with maggots or waxworms is my favorite. Gills too...

A little off-topic tip downs with small minnows are deadly.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Spoons.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:03 PM »
For nighttime crappie bites I use this, either tipped with bait or not:

I use the 1/8 oz and it glows in the dark.  Tap it on the bottom a few times and it calls the crappies over (need to thank LostOne for all these tips/lessons  ;) )

http://www.fishwlb.com/

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:18 PM »
My number one crappie jig is a 5mm e65 fiska with a glow nuggie
Dave

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Orange Glo forage minnow with a dropper rigged with a waxie or soft plastic

Offline fishon22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2010, 07:10 PM »
CJ&S Diamond jig in red glow tipped with maggots or waxworms is my favorite. Gills too...

A little off-topic tip downs with small minnows are deadly.
I agree. I like the Fire tiger diamond jig for crappie. But a friend of mine did pretty good on crappie with a hot pink diamond jig. I use diamond jigs for just about everything.

Offline Yopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I agree. I like the Fire tiger diamond jig for crappie. But a friend of mine did pretty good on crappie with a hot pink diamond jig. I use diamond jigs for just about everything.

diamond jigs worked well for me last ice season also, although this is a crappie post, i did well with the firetiger diamond jig for bluegills

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:16 PM »
jigging raps in the smaller sizes are great, tipped with a minnow head. Jigs with a nice tail are great once you are already on fish

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Northland mudbugs or hexi flys work great. I use red glow for the mudbugs or grasshopper.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:50 PM »
For nighttime crappie bites I use this, either tipped with bait or not:

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

I use the 1/8 oz and it glows in the dark.  Tap it on the bottom a few times and it calls the crappies over (need to thank LostOne for all these tips/lessons  ;) )

http://www.fishwlb.com/
Uh oh, Jeff! Ya gone done let the cat out of the bag! The old timers are gonna bust your kneecaps with their skimmers now!
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline crazie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2010, 05:07 PM »
i do best with a jig tipped with a power nymph also a maggot or wax.  jigging bobber on open water

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2010, 11:03 PM »
Sinnian, I really like the looks of those smaller ones.  I am looking at the site now....looks like I will have some new crappie jigs to try out now! Thanks!

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Sinnian, I really like the looks of those smaller ones.  I am looking at the site now....looks like I will have some new crappie jigs to try out now! Thanks!
Jasond, they are deadly. I just tip with either a powerbait waxie or a tiny shiner. Haven't found a crappie yet that won't bite it!

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2010, 03:36 PM »
I just got my package from Washington Lure & Bait, took no time at all!  In all I got six lures from them, for $13 shipped.  Can't beat that, they are pretty cheap in cost and look awesome!

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:51 PM »
I just got my package from Washington Lure & Bait, took no time at all!  In all I got six lures from them, for $13 shipped.  Can't beat that, they are pretty cheap in cost and look awesome!
Let me know how they do for you, I'd be curious to see if they work as well in the Land of a Thousand Lakes as they do in Maine. You folks iced up yet over that way?

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2010, 06:56 AM »
Getting there.  Some of the small ponds have an ice skim in the morning, they are starting to stay that way all day.  Later this week we'll have lows in the teens and highs in the upper 20's.  It's been warmer than usual November so we are a little behind.  The snow on the ground is helping keep things cooler too.  I'm excited to try them, I have other crappie spoons but they don't look anything like this.  I went and bought a new JR's spring bobber rod yesterday too, just couldn't help myself!  I'll let you know how I do, should be a couple weeks before I can try them.

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2010, 03:33 AM »
I like the frostee jiggin spoon for crappies they love the thing anytime of the day and the walleyes really like it too.....

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2010, 04:56 AM »
I do well with the buckshot rattle spoon in Glow with a 2"dropper chain and a small shiner. I'm going to try the Berkley Gulp Alive products to cut down on the cost of live bait, Its real easy to go through 2 dozen shiners quickly !  :'(

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:37 AM »
Don't ever forget Bartness industries neon lights perch eye jigs. Red or green glow size 6. Tip with a small Rosie red minnow. :icefish: Works great in heavily pressured lakes here in Illinois.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:58 PM »
Getting there.  Some of the small ponds have an ice skim in the morning, they are starting to stay that way all day.  Later this week we'll have lows in the teens and highs in the upper 20's.  It's been warmer than usual November so we are a little behind.  The snow on the ground is helping keep things cooler too.  I'm excited to try them, I have other crappie spoons but they don't look anything like this.  I went and bought a new JR's spring bobber rod yesterday too, just couldn't help myself!  I'll let you know how I do, should be a couple weeks before I can try them.
Jasond: Any updates on how the glow spoon worked out for you?

Offline Braaap-n-Trap

• IceShanty Rookie
  • team dale ny
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2011, 09:48 PM »
Last time I went out I got some on the fire tiger diamond jig with a red wedgie and also hooked on to some with a glow diamond eye with a glow wedgie

Offline Sam Quint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:41 AM »
horizontal jigs in red glow tipped with a waxworm jigged aggressively work best followed by a swedish pimple tipped with a minnow head or spike grubs 

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:59 AM »
Swedish pimple size two with a single hook tipped with nightcrawler
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.