Author Topic: No Derby for me this year  (Read 5288 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No Derby for me this year
« on: Feb 04, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Yup...I won't be making it. Catch a winner for me would ya?

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: No Derby for me this year
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I won't be able to make it either  :-[

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:37 PM »
Why not, DD?

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Why not, DD?

The guy that took my shift at work had a heart attack. I had this planned for a month and a half too.  He is doing ok. My partner and I brough him to CMC this morning for some cardiac procedures.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:07 PM »
we'll leave some fish for ya!  ;D

Your a saint!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Your a saint!

I am not so sure about that! LOL!

EMT's are the worst patients ever!  We all know what the signs are but we all ignore them because we see these things almost on a weekly basis. So when it happens to one of us, we get the "it won't happen to me" syndrome. 

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2008, 06:33 PM »
The guy that took my shift at work had a heart attack. I had this planned for a month and a half too.  He is doing ok. My partner and I brough him to CMC this morning for some cardiac procedures.

Oh jeeze.  That sucks for you and him both.  Glad he's alright.

CMC is just a few blocks from where I live.  It's a great heart hospital.  I wouldn't go there for any other reason though.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:15 AM »

omgosh,the berlin ambulance went past my window and i though what the? is that doing down here
and thinking thats were dd works supose he is in it.
hope he is doing ok

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:14 AM »
omgosh,the berlin ambulance went past my window and i though what the? is that doing down here
and thinking thats were dd works supose he is in it.
hope he is doing ok

If it was in the AM....I was driving. Now it is 4:12am and I just got back from a transfer to Boston that started at 18:30.  In case everyone is wondering about the snow....it started in Londonderry at midnight and Manch at 1am. Now it is snowing like a B!@#ch and I am home.  50mph ride from Manch north...... ::)

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2008, 07:07 AM »
I had a 10-15 mph ride south to Salem from Manchester.  Fun Fun.

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:14 PM »
i wont be fishng the derby this year... i have a PT test for marine patrol

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:20 PM »
i wont be fishng the derby this year... i have a PT test for marine patrol

Good luck man! They Suck!

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:50 PM »
lol, well I'm going to NHTI for criminal justice so its a step in the door for my future career

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:56 PM »
lol, well I'm going to NHTI for criminal justice so its a step in the door for my future career

I have a CJ degree......now I am a firefighter/EMT!   Go figure  ::)

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I have a CJ degree......now I am a firefighter/EMT!   Go figure  ::)

NO,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU go figger!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Times have NOT changed. PEOPLE have!!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2008, 04:14 PM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2008, 11:40 PM »
where did you get your degree duck

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:30 AM »
Hesser in Nashua.......graduated dean's list.....

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Hesser in Nashua.......graduated dean's list.....

What is wrong with this picture? Deans list and your running around in an ambulance? Not that there is anything wrong with that but it is a bit of a streatch from where your education ticket is. I'd think you would use the ticket and get a job that would pay you more scratch because you have the ticket.
Sorry I'm starting to sound like your dad, lol.

Well they can't take it away from you so you can always use it at some point.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2008, 01:05 PM »
What is wrong with this picture? Deans list and your running around in an ambulance? Not that there is anything wrong with that but it is a bit of a streatch from where your education ticket is. I'd think you would use the ticket and get a job that would pay you more scratch because you have the ticket.
Sorry I'm starting to sound like your dad, lol.

Well they can't take it away from you so you can always use it at some point.

Spike

I was in a real bad accident back in '99 that tunred out to be fatal.  As a result, I began to go down hill. A family member of the person who died, told me not to let the accident go without something good coming out of it.  All the fire fighters and EMT's knew the person who died. They treated me with respect and had unbelievable professionalism on scene.  I eventually went back to school and joined a volly FD at the same time. 65% of the calls were medical assist calls with the ambulance. I became and EMT 6 years ago now and have never looked back. There is no money in EMS, that is for sure. But what it does have is the gratification of helping people during their worst day.

It is not about the money; it never has been.  It is about lending a hand that might give someone more time to enjoy their life.  As a fire fighter, there were plenty of time where I put myself in a position where I could get hurt or worse trying to help people. One time, I did get hurt and brought to the hospital in the ambulance I worked for.

Do I worry about what could happen? Sure I do, but if I get hurt (or worse) trying to help/save someone, that is ok. I would be doing something I love. I don't look at myself as a hero. Never have, never will.  I have seen stuff first hand that would tear families apart. Somethings have.

I could be a cop and deal with the jerks everyday, or I could ride the trucks and try to be a part of the solution.

When I left the Fire Service, I was staring a promotion into an officer position right in the face. At 27 years old, that tells me where I belong.

I belong on the BRT's (big red trucks) or the boo boo busses, not riding as a blue canary (cops)

You will never find me in any other field.

Nuff said.............

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:31 PM »
I was in a real bad accident back in '99 that tunred out to be fatal.  As a result, I began to go down hill. A family member of the person who died, told me not to let the accident go without something good coming out of it.  All the fire fighters and EMT's knew the person who died. They treated me with respect and had unbelievable professionalism on scene.  I eventually went back to school and joined a volly FD at the same time. 65% of the calls were medical assist calls with the ambulance. I became and EMT 6 years ago now and have never looked back. There is no money in EMS, that is for sure. But what it does have is the gratification of helping people during their worst day.

It is not about the money; it never has been.  It is about lending a hand that might give someone more time to enjoy their life.  As a fire fighter, there were plenty of time where I put myself in a position where I could get hurt or worse trying to help people. One time, I did get hurt and brought to the hospital in the ambulance I worked for.

Do I worry about what could happen? Sure I do, but if I get hurt (or worse) trying to help/save someone, that is ok. I would be doing something I love. I don't look at myself as a hero. Never have, never will.  I have seen stuff first hand that would tear families apart. Somethings have.

I could be a cop and deal with the jerks everyday, or I could ride the trucks and try to be a part of the solution.

When I left the Fire Service, I was staring a promotion into an officer position right in the face. At 27 years old, that tells me where I belong.

I belong on the BRT's (big red trucks) or the boo boo busses, not riding as a blue canary (cops)

You will never find me in any other field.

Nuff said.............

Well maybe, just maybe, I could sound like your Dad. That is because I AM your Dad. It has been a long time since your accident, but this is the very FIRST time I've heard you talk about it. Talking about it is the first step to recovery, as with anything. I wasn't sure just how much you remembered about the conversations after that terrible event. I can see your memory serves you well. Though this may not be the place for a family discussion, you opened the gates with your reply. I'll say no more than this. You have spelled out exactly what I have been hoping to hear were your reasons for doing what you are doing. Just remember 1 thing. Life is not a penance. What you have said here today makes me the proudest Dad I know. Congratulations on having a goal and a purpose for doing what you are doing.

Now go ahead and yell at me for butting in. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: ::) ::) ::)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:49 PM »

Now go ahead and yell at me for butting in. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: ::) ::) ::)

You have not heard me talk about it because you were there and know all about it. I live with that accident everyday. Every accident I go to I smell the fire extinguishers, I see the families that are hurt and scared.  But on the good days, I see the families that are thankful, hopefull, and gracious for what I do..........That is all I need.

Now shut up dad and go fish would ya!

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Yup,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that's my boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll shut up now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:12 PM »
Well that makes sense. As long as your doing it for the right reasons, and it sounds like you are.
Sorry to hear about your accident. It must be tough to deal with. Just know that you are a good person and keep doing good deeds and it will all work out in the end.

Also if I only had a choice between the two proffesions I think you chose the right one. Police have to deal with so much more crap day in and day out it makes you wonder why anyone would chose that proffesion. My hats off to anyone in public service. As we all know you can't please everyone and dealing with the public has got to be the worst job of all, be it in enforcement or in retail there is just no respect.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about your accident. It must be tough to deal with. Just know that you are a good person and keep doing good deeds and it will all work out in the end.

Thanks man!  The accident isn't that hard to deal with anymore. It was unfortunate, but it definately made me a better person.  I know for fact that the care I provide my patients has directly affected one person. 5 years ago or so, I was called to a car vs. moose.  We got there and the moose was dead in the road and the driver's roof was crushed down on top of the driver's seat head rest. We took the needed precautions and back boarded the driver. (I was the only male in the back that night.) We took her to the Milford Medical Center and they did x-rays. They found that she broke her neck in 2 places. We then packaged her back up and brought her to Nashua. She was scared...you could see it in her eyes. I held her hand and told her a little bit about what to expect and that she was still alive and that was the most important thing. I told her a little bit about why I became an EMT.  We talked the entire time and she asked me not to let go of her hand until we got to the hospital. So I did.

3 weeks after that call, I received a phone call from a friend of a friend(which turned out to be the pt's aunt.) The aunt Knew that I worked for this particular ambulance service. The girl descibed what I looked like to the aunt. The aunt told the pt that she knew me. The pt said that she wanted to meet me some 6 months later. So we went out and met. The pt thanked me for what I did and told me that she planned on becoming an EMT that fall. 

To this day, as far as I know, she is riding on an ambulane in southern NH.

Nuff bout this........will someone please go fishing?

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:03 PM »

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:05 PM »
I figgered it out

Huh? Figured what out?

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:12 PM »
NO,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU go figger!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Longbeardking's quote....  did not understand his earlier remark, but it's all crystal now.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:13 PM »
Ya he is my dad.....I try not to admit to it that often but sometimes I have too.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:14 PM »
well duck doctor keep doing what you do best saving lives and catching fish i will be on 19 mile bay all weekend in a s3000 stop by for a cold one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.