Author Topic: Home - Made Ice Shanty  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Home - Made Ice Shanty
« on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:00 PM »
Hi everyone. I am wanting to build an oversized 2-person shanty out of wood. I go out on some small lakes in west-central WI and often take my wife. I guess i would preffer something that could break down into the back of my truck..... any ideas? or anyone have any plans?

thanks,
Melbs :'(

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Home - Made Ice Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:25 PM »
Click on this link for some info:
http://www.iceshanty.com/forum/index.php?board=33
Ken                                          

Offline Yellow Belly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse 'em
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2003, 08:02 PM »
Heres one that looks kinda neat. I am currently building a shanty and I am going to try this style of folding floor in order to make it more compact.
If I get it to work I will post some pics and some notes. Probably gonna be a while before it is done though.

http://rockvillefishandgame.tripod.com/huntingarticles/fishing/buildshanty.htm

Offline buckshot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Stepping lightly yet!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2003, 10:27 AM »
I can snail mail you a plan if you like, size is 4'x8' on the ice and 6' high.  looks a lot like a covered wagon when erected.  Weight is approxamately 70 lbs and will fit in back of a pickup when collapsed.
email me if interested.  [email protected]

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2003, 12:28 PM »
you say that it looks like a covered wagon when it's erect? so i'm assuming that it has a tarp or canvas type middle? i was actually kinda hoping to have an ALL wood one. those however seem to a little harder to come by. thanks......

Melbs :'(

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2003, 04:14 PM »
An ALL WOOD shanty would be very heavy.  Are you planning on using a 4 X 4 to haul it around?

ice fishing fool

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2003, 04:29 PM »
If you want to load this thing without breaking your back you'll need to use canvas, it's a huge weight savings over all wood, plus it would take more time to set-up and take down being all wood. Why does it need to be all wood?  I made one like the covered wagon but made the ends out of canvas also. I ended up hardly using it even thou it was relatively light in weight, too much of hassle to set up and take down.  I use a small flipover (otter den) and would never go back to a another style of shelter.  It's kind of pricey but weight is never an issue and moving from one spot to another is a snap. If you make one like the covered wagon use the truck tarp that's black, it does a good job stopping the wind.    Too haul that thing around find an old pair of water skis and attach some half inch conduit to the bottom of them.  connect the ski's with two 2 by 4's and use some wire in an x pattern to keep it from racking.  My 2 cents, save your money and by a flipover or suitcase style shelter, and we'll see you on the ice alot more.  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.