Author Topic: anyone fish with submersible lights?  (Read 4799 times)

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone fish with submersible lights?
« on: Nov 12, 2006, 07:53 PM »
anyone fish with submersible lights?

I have never came across anyone who does this, but it seams like a logical idea. The light attracts plankton and such, which attract bait fish, which attract bigger fish, and so on....

Anyone ever used anything like this?
http://www.optronicsinc.com/fishing.htm#fishnlites

Im also wondering if using a light to attract fish like this is illegal in some places?

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: anyone fish with submersible lights?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:06 PM »
I have one  does it work not that i am aware of :) at least not for icefishing
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:10 PM »
what kind of fish were you targeting?

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:30 PM »
I've used a light with some success.
 It was not a submersible but a crappie light with the foam floater on it.

Sometimes it worked great and other times not at all. I does attract bait fish to the area though and I was doing it at night.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:33 PM »
I have used it for crappie down south at night time, worked awesome, it had a neon green light, and a regular white bulb, borought in just about everything in the lake and it was a blast to see in the clear water. we were in about 6 feet, first thing we noticed was a bunch of crayfish, then minnows, them some small panfish (about the size of a credit card) then came lots of crappies and bluegilss, nice ones, we watched them slam everything around, then the bass came, then some HUGE catfish and then all our crappie left :(

lots of fun. worked well for me.

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline sphynx_000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:56 PM »
sounds like fun,

i might give it a try,

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2006, 09:03 PM »
illegal in Minnesota, just like everything else. ::)

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2006, 01:29 AM »
There not illegal in illinois if ya want a tip go buy a neon glow stick and drop that down the hole on another line if ya don't have it attached to a pole it won't count against ya! Do they work? kinda like glow jigs sometimes they want it sometime they don't

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:13 AM »
A lot of guys use them for catching smelt through the ice here in MI.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:18 AM »
Never used anything like that through the ice but have used a floating one for crappie and they do work .

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:33 AM »
illegal in Ontario as well, dont know why as most times this discussion comes up the majority of people suggest that it does nto really work anyway

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:53 AM »
they work really good take mine and pondpros word
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:42 AM »
sphynx,
I use a floating crappie light at night for trout and salmon.  My light fits in a ten inch hole, so I drill the hole almost til' I hit water and stop.  Then scoop out all of the ice shavings, and place the floating crappie light into the hole, (light is really just a headlight from a car with styrofoam wrapped around it.)   I proceed by hooking the light up to a marine battery inside the shanty, and it's time to fish!  The light is so bright that it limits me to setting up 4 ft. from the lamp itself.  Since my day light is limited to a couple hours, this gives me more time to fish, rather than sitting on the couch!  Like everyone suggested, check your regulations on your states laws concerning artificial lights....
Good luck!  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2006, 12:46 PM »
I got one for Christams....and thought I'd try it striper fishing.....long story short, but I almost set my boat on fire  :o  it was smoking and sparking so I just unclipped it from the battery and said goodbye.....those things are scary  ;D

Offline bowhuntken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2006, 01:30 PM »
  does it matter what color light you use, I have heard of using green lights or can you use any source of light?
usmc 1989-1993

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Wouldn't be without them for smelting through the ice her in MI.  Have both a flouro as well as a submersible bulb.  Flouro lasts a long time but puts out a lot of elecronic interference on the Vex.  The bulb eats gel pacs for lunch.  Once I move to a ATV for ice fishing, I'll carry a deep cycle just for the light and stick with the bulb.  The smart approach would be to make my own with these new low draw but powerful LEDs. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Zee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2006, 05:34 PM »
Illegal here, although I have often wondered what the CO would say about spectral response lighting?

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I'm gonna try it with my green submersable light this year.  Probably sink it half way down and fish around the edge of the light perimeter 20ft away or so.  It's worth a try I guess.

Offline Michiganmallard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Yep, a couple Michiganders already said it.  They are invaluable for smelt fishing, and in turn attract some darn big lakers.

Member: Michigan Trappers Association, National Trappers Association, Michigan Duck Hunters Association, Wetlands Foundation of West Michigan,  Michigan United Conservation Clubs,  National Rifle Association, & Delta Waterfowl
Preserve our right to Hunt, Fish, & Trap.  BECOME A MEMBER.

Offline pro50guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:30 PM »
never tryed anything on the ice but i use lanterns over the water in the summer seems to work well. ill give it a try this winter too i guess
"you can pick your nose and your friends can pick there nose, but you cant pick your friends nose"-john fickel     "equal opportunity for everyone special treatment for no one"-jesse james

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:26 AM »
It works well for me both open water and ice. I find that the green fluorescent under water type works better than the white floating type. I became a fan of using lights for ice fishing the night i dropped my flash light into the lake. How does every thing find the 8 in. hole in a frozen lake any way? The good news is that light brought in the biggets school of crappie ever and I have used lights ever since for night fishing.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:11 AM »
Do you use the green glow sticks?  How well do they work?

Glow sticks come in a bunch of different colors, has anyone tried the red, blue or chartruse colors?

Thanks,

Wiener

Offline Pat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2006, 10:41 AM »
They might work.... but ... we aren't able to use them up here. I know my friends and I have talked about using them all the time. We have noticed that our glow in the dark hooks seem to do a little better than our non glow in the dark hooks. I guess it will remain a mystery to us up here :(

Offline biggeorge50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2006, 04:07 PM »
I use a white submersible for walleyes.  It usually works pretty well.  The light draws baitfish (or baitfish food).  Anyway, the baitfish show up and then the walleyes do.  I put the light just underwater and the fish about 8' - 10' below it.

Offline roygpa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's da Ice?
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:08 PM »
I used on for a couples hours one time. It made the ice in a radius of about 10 feet glow green and it attracted a bunch of zooplankton about 1/8 inch long. Didn't catch any fish though.

Roy
Southwestern, PA

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:01 AM »
Illegal in Wyoming as well, but I can see where they would really work, but also WHY...they are illegal here.
                                          The ex-Lt

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2006, 09:02 PM »
I have a submersable light called "the evening secret" you see it advertised on here sometimes.  I tried it a few times in Manitoba for pickeral fishing through the ice without any sucess I did get a few perch coincidence ?? Anyhow it is illegal to use here in Alberta so I won`t get to experiment with it anymore. "The evening secret" currently retails for  $195 and can be purchased at eveningsecretfishing.c om if you are interested. Also note your flasher battery is not strong enough to run the 12v version of this light. This light also goes by the name "green magnet" and sells elsewhere. It is made in Tennesse.The light is a green flourecent type in a clear water proof tube. The transformer is weather proof but not water proof.Note photos.

Offline newincudahy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Failure to prepare is prepairing to fail.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2007, 10:28 PM »
I have had good results using them in open water. That is using a submersible with a floating light. I have only tried it thru the ice once with no success but did notice how much better my underwater cam worked with indirect lighting. I think it could work given more planning to the set up.  Open water I set set up quite shallow usually off a deeper break especially if I have marked any deeper fish nearby. I set up in the early evening and slip bobber fish the edges of the light. Crappies are the usual victims but have had a few bonus eyes mixed in.
Fish Now! Cuz you'll be dead a long time.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2007, 08:04 AM »
i use one in the summer for trout. its a 300,000watt led submersable you can get them at fishinglights.com Works good then i am sure it would work in the winter too. I have tried green lights for trout, it didn't work for me. White light works well.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline crafty1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • don't fish dead holes
« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2007, 08:41 AM »
i dnot know if anybody seen this but i seen a site that said the fishing secret of 1949 or something like that.it sounds like what you guys are talking about,but just making the light setup yourselves and saving the money.just curious
just sitting and staring down an ice hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.