Author Topic: ATVs on ice  (Read 884 times)

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATVs on ice
« on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Does anyone have any issues with getting an atv on the ice because of the snow up around cascade?
sick days are for fishing!

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATVs on ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:31 PM »
It can be tough with deep snow and slush...A call to tackle Tom's may yield good info before heading up....

Offline mooseymo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Good advice. Thx bud
sick days are for fishing!

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Hey Moosey!!! ;D

Usually one of the first places to get on the ice at Cascade is Poison Creek. It doesn't take long for that ramp to get alot of snow on it because it faces more north and doesn't get much sun. Sugarloaf is usually good at the boat ramp, but they don't clean the road. If there is a steady flow of ice fishermen then the road is usually passable. Unless there is a full-blown blizzard, the road to sugarloaf only gets snow in a few spots but I used it all year w/ my ford expedition and a small trailer w/ snowmobile...

Hope it helps, Hogger :icefish:

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Hey Mooseymo.
 I run my ATV everywhere I go on the ice.  Last year at Cascade was a rough snow year, but I put on Chains and it helps alot.  I am going to carry chains for all four wheels this year. I got stuck a few times, but had easy recovery every time.   My buddy brings his ATV with the Tracks and he scoots accross the snow with no problems, although he ran into a couple of soft spots and we had to push him out also.  It also helps to stay in the Snow Mobile tracks because they seem to pack the snow good enough for the ATVs to follow.  I also carry extra rope to assist anyone who needs the extra Umph to get back on top of the snow.  Hope to see you and everyone else on the ice this year.

"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I built snow skies for my Lawn Mower trailer and take it onto the ice behind my ATV.  The skies relace the wheels. The trailer holds alot of gear and it trails my ATV just fine.  Check it out when I get on the Ice. I fly my Ice Shanty Flag so we are easy to spot.
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline icehogger84

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No place I'd rather be, 'cept (ice)fishin' !!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Haha....yep, that's right Steve.

Funny how the little old 440 puts along better and more reliably (I think that's a word, LOL) than the newer 600. Looking to pick up another sled soon. Pretty soon I'll have enough scrap sleds to get a better one....ummm....or maybe an ATV....

Hogger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.