Author Topic: WHATS THE BEST WAY TO HOOK A MINNOW  (Read 3274 times)

Offline semperfi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SULLIVAN COUNTY NY
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO HOOK A MINNOW
« on: Feb 21, 2011, 01:48 PM »
WHATS THE BEST WAY TO HOOK A MINNOW,,I USE TIPUPS,,#10 TREBLE FOR PERCH,,I SEEM TO LOSE ALOT OF BAIT

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WHATS THE BEST WAY TO HOOK A MINNOW
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2011, 03:06 PM »
  Go with a #12 or 14 trebs right in the back, I use them on my tip downs and they take it in good, Have to use the long nose plierss to get it out...

Offline siyakadog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:41 PM »
I use a #10 hook in the back for light biters and you need to really watch your spring bobber.  On my daughters line(7 yrs old) I have been hooking them through the eyes, seem like the minnow is halfway down the throat by the time my daughter sets the hook.  I read somewhere that the eyes have fish attracting chemical also-don't know but my little girl catches fish that way. :-\

Offline wanabe47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2011, 01:15 PM »
I use  size 6 Gamakatsu octopus hooks and hook the minnow back by the dorsal fin. I start the hook right by the fin and then go down the side, being carsful not to get into the stomach, then back up and out next to the dorsal fin. I seem to get more hookups using a single hook.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2011, 01:07 PM »
I would say, experiment until you find out what's working.  It varies from lake to lake sometimes.  Sometimes, lip hook is best, sometimes tail hook is best.  Sometimes belly hook works better sometimes dorsal fin hook is what works.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.