The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Ups, Rods, Both?  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Cbass123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Ups, Rods, Both?
« on: Oct 21, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Which do you prefer to use: Tip ups, jigging rods, or a combo of both? 

Since we get to use 5 lines, we have some options.  I usually run 5 tip ups, but sometimes I'll go to 4 tip ups and a jig one hole.  I know some people think tip ups are boring, but I find I almost never sit down because I keep so busy.  Chasing flags, checking and replacing baits, drilling new holes and moving setups, eating, drinking, bs'ing.  There's always something to do.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Tip Ups, Rods, Both?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2019, 04:08 PM »
We can only run 3 lines here in Michigan  so i set out 2 tipups and then watch my vexilar and jig in my shanty,always looking out for a flag up!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:04 PM »
I always have one hole for a jigging rod, tipups in the rest.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Depends where I'm at. Some lakes just beg for tip ups but I usually save a hole or 2 for jigging. I had a few days last year when I spent so much time chasing flags that I never got to jig. I just chased flags until it was too dark to see!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:10 PM »
I always jig but then it comes to the tip-ups it depends on where I'm fishing. 

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2019, 12:44 AM »
I like to use a combination of tip downs, tip ups, dead sticks and jigging. All set to target specific species, if I find a hot hole using a static set up i'll pull it and jig it. Also, if there is a hole that I have a tip up set in and I keep getting flags but no fish (the thought is it could be Crappie) I'll move a tip down there with a small minnow. sometimes it's fun to just set tip ups and drink beer too  ;D 
👮👮👮

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2019, 01:07 AM »
We are allowed 5 lines in Maine, but unless I’m targeting trout or toothy critters, I’m just jigging. I find that keeping my eye on the traps keeps me anchored in one area, while I prefer to watch my sonar and keep moving if fish aren’t there or biting.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I mostly jig and use a couple dead sticks and or some sort of tip down. I gave up using tip ups on lakes like Promised Land many years ago since they ended up distracting me from jigging and usually only produced pickerel.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Don't use tip-ups. Just allowed 2 lines. Normally use a slip float which serves as an indicator instead of a flag. Like to reel the fish in.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2019, 06:38 AM »
I usually have four tip ups out and a number of holes that I jump around to jig. Early and late season I like to jig a lot and pretty much do that all day. When the panfish bite is slow mid season I might just put five tip ups up during the day and bullcrap with the guys.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2019, 07:08 AM »
Don't use tip-ups. Just allowed 2 lines. Normally use a slip float which serves as an indicator instead of a flag. Like to reel the fish in.
Ditto, only allowed 2 lines. I usually fish both in my ice shelter. 1 line with a minnow and the other with a lure.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2019, 11:30 AM »
SOmetime just jig, other times jig and (3 or 4)jawjackers. SOmetimes jig, 3 jawjackers and one deadstick(baitfeeder). Just depends what mood I am in and what fish I am targeting.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2019, 04:50 PM »
 Depends on where I'm at, what's in the lake and what size shiners I can get. Down here in SE PA if I can get shiners 6+" I will put out 3 :tipup: of them and maybe 2 :tipup: with 4" on. If I can't get anything bigger than 4" I put out a mix of 4 :tipup: with different size shiners/fatheads and then jig around. If I go north to the Poconos I generally run this set up but may lose a  :tipup: or 2 depending on if the pickerel are being a pain LOL.  If I head out (SE PA) to my crappie hot spots for the evening bite I'll just go with rods

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:57 AM »
My fishing style is alot of run and gun so usually don't do tip ups. If I do I run Jaw Jackers and want to try atleast one of the motorized jigging add ons this year.
I have 2 tip downs mounted in my flipover, those can keep me to busy to keep up with and I always have 1 rod jigging.

Offline mkpitt2021

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:11 AM »
3 tip ups , one jigging pole , and one pole with a slip bobber
Can't wait
Just Love Fishing

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2019, 07:19 AM »
I use mainly rods but when my buddy comes with me we Use a couple tip ups, he enjoys that.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2019, 04:43 PM »
3 tip ups , one jigging pole , and one pole with a slip bobber
Can't wait

I use a slip bobber for small lakers---what doyou catch?

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2019, 01:40 PM »
Almost always use both, 4 tip ups and then I'll hole hop with my Vex and jig. Helps me cover a lot more water. Sometimes I will just sit and jig with no tip ups but thats rare.

Offline subtlehustle76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2019, 04:02 PM »
Im going to bring my kid so i can drill 10 holes.
"Nice bass thumb, wanna see my pickerel d!ck?"

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2019, 07:34 PM »
I do my best when I use just one jigging rod.

Offline Fishhog1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:10 AM »
I usually only carry 3 tip ups wih me. I'll set those with large bait in areas I expect large fish to be traveling and jig multiple holes around those sets. I like to be mobile and 3 aren't too much to deal with . 

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I usually run 4 tip ups and jig inside my hut. If my wife comes, that give me 4 more tip ups and she jigs. Sometimes its 3 tip ups and a deadstick in the hut while jig. It all really depends where I'm fishing and what I'm fishing for.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2019, 07:36 AM »
My first icefishin trip was all tip ups and had lots of fun but I'm more of a jig guy tight lines soon

Offline lovethoseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:13 AM »
I don't like to use tip ups.  I like to run and gun while jigging until I find fish.  As fish move so do I.  Using tips ups, although sometimes very productive, slows me down.  I have less equipment to carry and a lot more time to fish.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2019, 08:09 PM »
It depends where and what I am fishing for.  I like to drill a lot of holes to find the fish and bounce around a lot.  When you move a lot, tip ups are a pain to keep moving.  If you find the fish, its good to put some tip ups on the outside of where I'm fishing.  Nez

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:38 AM »
As lightweight as I try to keep things when I am solo and because I do like to stay on the move I do carry two or three with me most days so when I get tired of ice trolling or want some lunch I set up for bigger fish. Gives me a reason to get back up to check them so I don’t get to comfortable. If I am going out with other people, just hanging out on the ice or taking anyones kids especially I will load them all up. It can be a lot of fun running around chasing flags.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2019, 02:13 PM »
I’ll almost always run some kind of combination.  Action on the tip ups has to be really hot for me not to jig at all. 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Depends. Known pike or walleye waters...2 tip ups and 1 jigging rod. Otherwise, 1 to 2 jigging rods.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline IceBucketMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:00 AM »
I totally agree with Cbass123!   But I usually run 4 tip ups max and jig one hole with a jigging device at times.  I guess I like seeing flags and pulling fish up though the ice by hand like an Eskimo.

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2019, 12:31 PM »
I used to set out five tip-ups (Pennsylvania), but since getting my Vexilar a couple of years ago, I mainly just jig. Suits me since I'm old and tired.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.