Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Big Spirit guide help  (Read 1936 times)

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Spirit guide help
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Is there any safe ice on Big Spirit?  I was planning on heading there this weekend from the Des Moines area but didn't want to waste the time if it wasn't safe or productive fishing for that matter.   I am willing to pay a local for suggestions and to basically show me a good area to focus on for perch and walleye.  I have heard mixed reviews of the ice conditions and was looking for some solid info before heading that way. PM me if you may be able to help.

Thanks

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: Big Spirit guide help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I heard DNR pulling everyone off ice to dangerous!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Call dnr up there before you goo!!!!
Never to many short poles

Offline ToddK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:12 PM »
That's what I mean....I hear that they are saying not to o out but I also hear of people fishing on 6 - 8 inches of ice.  ??   I guess I will have to take the side of caution and stay put unless somebody has solid proof of safe ice.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Judging by the lack of shacks on an area that was packed a few days ago I would use caution....I watched a huge area of West open up today thats been froze all week....

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:59 PM »
you could get ahold of john...  http://fishokoboji.com/  good dude right there and he should be able to tell ya a few things.......
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:01 AM »
So the DNR is actually physically removing people from the ice?  Must be really bad.

Darn
Near
Russians

I see you have the impersonable cowboys over there 2.

I'd tell them theyll have to pry my jigging stick from my cold dead hands.  When I wash up on shore next spring that is ;)

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:27 PM »
People were saying the samething 3 weeks ago. And it wasent true then.

Offline murf311

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:38 PM »
I was out on millers on tuesday and we were on about 7-8''. lots of pops and cracks underneath us. the scariest ones were underneath us in our chairs though ;D. Was out on spirit friday and same story. Both days kept about 50ish guys fishing. I would say it is still safe enough as there were a few guys that brought their kids out both days. Fish on my friend and keep your eyes open and you should be A-OK. good luck to you and anyone else that goes out.

Shack- Viking LX300
Rod - HT Ice Blue
Line - Berkley Nanofil
Lure - Hexifly
Sonar - Showdown 5.6
Auger - Jiffy model 30

Offline DAN03REV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2012, 12:16 PM »
That's what I mean....I hear that they are saying not to o out but I also hear of people fishing on 6 - 8 inches of ice.  ??   I guess I will have to take the side of caution and stay put unless somebody has solid proof of safe ice.

ice is a solid 6-7" all around west half of lake .. north side to the grade same thickness .. anglers bay has a solid 6 also .. i walked out to the 20 marker on my gps in anglers bay .. buffalo, and the upper northwest side is plenty safe .. guy even had his atv sitting there over 22' water .. 6 guys within 10-15 feet of the atv all day .. plenty safe guys 

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:42 AM »
I went up there last weekend it had at least 7-8" on smith and miller and marble bays . Then went to clear lake on sunday ice like 9-10" fishing was tough thou just a off week light biters take your camera it helped me !!!!! ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Jumbo, where you was on Spirit you need a boat now.....

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Dont listen to these guys. I just drove around Spirit and the north half of the lake is mostly open water! Where I was catching perch on a GOOD 8 inches of ice last weekend is OPEN water! The Minnewaukon boat ramp is ice free! As far as I could see from the ramp is open. Right now its running from at least Cottonwood point to Marble Beach and I'm not even exaggerating! Maybe a hundred yards out from Buffalo is open and maybe a quarter mile off the swim beach and I actually drove in to Crandalls and the water comes back around to shore there! I hear there ice around Des Moines might have to go south to ice fish this weekend!
 ;D

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:38 PM »
Dont listen to these guys. I just drove around Spirit and the north half of the lake is mostly open water! Where I was catching perch on a GOOD 8 inches of ice last weekend is OPEN water! The Minnewaukon boat ramp is ice free! As far as I could see from the ramp is open. Right now its running from at least Cottonwood point to Marble Beach and I'm not even exaggerating! Maybe a hundred yards out from Buffalo is open and maybe a quarter mile off the swim beach and I actually drove in to Crandalls and the water comes back around to shore there! I hear there ice around Des Moines might have to go south to ice fish this weekend!
 ;D

how was millers and emerson?
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.....

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Sorry! Didnt drive home that way. Smiths was ok. Might drive by those tomorrow after work

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Sorry! Didnt drive home that way. Smiths was ok. Might drive by those tomorrow after work

i appreciate it bro.  even tho i hate you for being so brutally honest, lmao.  we are making the venture up from anthon (me) and sioux city (blake) to get some fishing in on saturday.  figured worst comes to worst, we could hit lil millers or emerson for some sight fishing :)

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »
ya but i'm sick of bluegills. i have already put a couple hundred through the grease or in the freezer already. i'm dying for some perch limits and now my perch spot is ice free! gonna have to try the south end i guess

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:43 PM »
South end sux untill Feb, at least for me it always has... good luckI'll catch and eat those gills your tired of....

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:45 PM »
ya but i'm sick of bluegills. i have already put a couple hundred through the grease or in the freezer already. i'm dying for some perch limits and now my perch spot is ice free! gonna have to try the south end i guess

yeah, i was hoping to get on some perch also :(  south end has perch?

Offline rich_fisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:48 PM »
used to catch em down there years ago. i try every once in awhile but havent had much luck for several years

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:58 PM »
Only time I have luck on the south end is late season, last 2 years have been spotty for us to...I do have the weed edge marked out well on my GPS from the old resort to past the spillway, something like 45 icons LOL

Offline Shane123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Shane Christiansen
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:00 PM »
yeah, i heard about spillway fishing, heard its fire!   

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:34 AM »
 ;D

please tell me you are not serious.  My dad and I are planning on coming up for the weekend should I throw the long rods in instead?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.