Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: macbride  (Read 2507 times)

Offline 2 MAN ESKIMO

• IceShanty Rookie
macbride
« on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:40 PM »
heading there tomorrow just wondering how its doing just got back from MN trip  ;D

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: macbride
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Much slower then it was a couple of weeks ago. Went out last weekend a few small crappies, but no keepers.

Offline icefishermitch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Yea still pretty slow, but the morning has been best for me. I've been trying lots of spots but can't get em to bite. Lots of small gills seem to be everywhere.

Offline criceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:51 AM »
 ??? Was there last weekend down by the causeway and didn't have much luck.  Lots of people out there.  I've always wanted to try on the other side of the causeway.  That part goes into two forks kind of and we have had good luck with walleye in the spring on the one with the boat ramp at the end of it.  By that boat ramp, it's only 3-4' deep but if you go to the other side, it goes from 14' to 12' to 8' and we've had our luck there.  I always thought that might be good in the winter too.  Anyone ever fish there in the winter?

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:41 AM »
I have not but I know the spot we used to catch alot of nice catfish out of that area too.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2011, 04:19 PM »
I've not fished Macbride in at least two, maybe three, weeks. I have no plans on going out there again for two more weeks at least.

Most waters go through a mid-winter slump, but it always seems to be worse on Macbride. This is my way of saying wherever you go out there, don't expect too much success right now.

As far as the area east of the causeway, I would think most of that is too shallow to hold fish in mid-winter. You do have the creek feeding in, so maybe that makes a difference, but generally the deepest water in winter is the warmest, and has the most oxygen.

Offline 2 MAN ESKIMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:12 PM »
i was there a few days ago and it was dead slow moved a lot  better than working!!!!!!!

Offline gus5923

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Anyone been having any luck here?  I'm not, but I dont know the hotspots!

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:22 PM »
I don't know that there are any hotspots on Macbride right now.  ;D

Ice-fishing that lake is all about early ice and late ice. In other words, save your trips to Macbride, if you can, for after Valentine's Day at least.

Offline shawner30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Any reports on the ice thickness? How long until it's gone?

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Was out by the west ramp by the boat rentals. Very slushy but was 10-14inches solid underneath. Also caught a big fat 0. Though I'm new at this and had my daughter with me. We were jigging with waxes. Anyone ever use tip-ups there?? I got one for free from the guy I bought my auger from. I set it up right off the bottom looking for a catfish or walleye.
http://

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:19 AM »
It's always possible that a walleye or channel cat will crush your tip-up bait on Macbride. There are also some muskie and Northern (not many, though) in there too.

I've run a tip-up on Macbride in the past, and never had any results on it. That doesn't mean much, but I've found that my odds of catching walleye through the ice on Macbride are better with other means than a large chub or shiner on a tip-up, so I don't use them out there anymore. I've never had much luck with even small minnows on the lake's walleye during the winter, so I don't bother with them anymore, either, except to use the heads to tip my artificial baits.

I suspect you have a better chance of catching one of the lake's big toothy critters on a tip-up, but again I don't think their numbers are high enough to make it worthwhile. But, who knows...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.